Solved

CPU fan error, please help!

just today i built my first pc. specs here
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bFK0
when i turned it on to see if it worked everything was fine, got the POST image but then it displays a CPU fan error message after the post. The fan works when i turn the computer on so i don't know where that error is coming from. Any insights about what could be wrong would me much appreciated :)
still haven't installed the OS yet
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about error help
  1. If the fan is working check the BIOS to see what it says about fan speeds. When I set up my new build I had a similar problem. Turns out the fan was spinning at a lower RPM than the lower limit in the BIOS. All I had to do was change the RPM limit and the message went away.
  2. make sure the cpu fan on the right header and that you did not miss any of the pins.
  3. I double checked the conection of the cou fan with the MOBO manual and its connected to the right header and did not miss any pins.
    @aleatoire could you elaborate a bit more about that? You suggets its just a limit issue? I'll try lowering the rpm limit on the BIOS since today i got my keynoard lol :)
  4. I'm not entirely sure that what happened to me will apply in your case however I'll try to elaborate on what happened to me.
    I recently set up a new build with a Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. Sometimes on start up it would pop up with a "CPU Fan Error!" message in the POST. I could see that the fan was still spinning fine so I went into the BIOS and under a tab (I can't remember what one), there were a whole bunch of different fan settings and speeds. The RPM count listed under 'CPU fan' was highlighted red. Below it was an option to select at what minimum RPM the POST would give the "CPU Fan Error!" message. As it turned out the idle RPM of my Hyper 212+ was lower than the RPM set in the option mentioned above. I could just select an RPM that was lower than the idle speed of my Hyper 212+ fan, but high enough that I would know if it had stopped functioning properly.

That may not help in your case, but if you can see the fan spinning then it's worthwhile checking. Good luck.
  5. Aleatoire said:
    If the fan is working check the BIOS to see what it says about fan speeds. When I set up my new build I had a similar problem. Turns out the fan was spinning at a lower RPM than the lower limit in the BIOS. All I had to do was change the RPM limit and the message went away.

I had the same issue as the OP, and this is exactly what the issue was.

Anonymous said:
    make sure the cpu fan on the right header and that you did not miss any of the pins.

At least on my MB (Asus Z77), if you have the fan installed on say the CPU_OPT header instead of the CPU_FAN header, the error message is that no CPU fan is detected. I think it has to be on the right header to show this particular error.
  6. I checked the bios and it is somewhat what youre describing. The bios shows that the cou fan is soinning in red numbers at about 580rpms with a cpu temp of +18C is that temp okay?
  7. 18C is a VERY low temp for a CPU. In normal operation it is usually much higher, but exactly what is normal depends on which CPU you have. So look for info on "normal" operating temp for your CPU. That 18C may be just at start-up if your room is cool, but it certainly should rise higher than that within less than a minute.
  8. Best answer
    As Paperdoc said, 18C is a cold start up temperature for a CPU. You should have no problems with the fan speed at 580RPM although it would be a good idea to do a bit of stress testing. The fan speed will increase beyond that 580RPM start up speed to compensate for the extra heat generated under load. Look up the recommended temperatures for your specific CPU and go from there. Prime95 is good for stress testing and personally I use Real Temp to monitor temperatures.

As for your actual problem, I would have no problem with lowering the minimum fan speed in the BIOS to below 580RPM to stop that 'CPU Fan Error!' message.
  9. I did some twitching here and there and the problem was actually the fan running at fewer roms than the minimun set by the mobo. Tested the cpu and it was at normal temps. Thank you for your answers :)
  10. Best answer selected by Pinwi.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt CPUs Systems