buying a previous version of Photoshop ...

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 11, 2005 6:19:50 PM

Hi all,

Was wondering if there is any place where to buy
old licences of expensive software e.g. Adobe Photoshop
so I can then qualify for the upgrade licence on the
latest version ... feasible solution?

TIA
Best Regards,
Giovanni
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:19:51 PM

Giovanni Azua wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was wondering if there is any place where to buy
> old licences of expensive software e.g. Adobe Photoshop
> so I can then qualify for the upgrade licence on the
> latest version ... feasible solution?

Try Ebay. They seem to have a lot of that kind of thing.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:19:51 PM

If you're in the USA, try Half Price Books. I noted that both of the
outlets near me have Photoshop on their shelves.

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Was wondering if there is any place where to buy
> old licences of expensive software e.g. Adobe Photoshop
> so I can then qualify for the upgrade licence on the
> latest version ... feasible solution?
>
> TIA
> Best Regards,
> Giovanni

August 11, 2005 6:19:52 PM

Charlie Self wrote:
> Giovanni Azua wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Was wondering if there is any place where to buy
>> old licences of expensive software e.g. Adobe Photoshop
>> so I can then qualify for the upgrade licence on the
>> latest version ... feasible solution?
>>

> Try Ebay. They seem to have a lot of that kind of thing.

Why would you want that? You can get a brand new, up-to-date version of
PaintShop Pro v. 9 for much less than you would probably pay for what
you suggest. PSP will do everything that PS will for a lot less money.
It's a lot easier to learn and use, as well.

Please note: I have no affiliation with PSP. I'm just a very satisfied user.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:14:57 PM

mortn wrote:
[]
> Why would you want that? You can get a brand new, up-to-date version
> of PaintShop Pro v. 9 for much less than you would probably pay for
> what you suggest. PSP will do everything that PS will for a lot less
> money.
> It's a lot easier to learn and use, as well.

And PSP-X (a.k.a. PSP-10) is due out soon....

David
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:14:40 PM

I **wishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh** to be in the USA :-)))))

Ok pointless comment ... I could not resist ... :-)

"rhodo chrosite" <rhodochrosite@hot.mail.com> wrote in message
> If you're in the USA, try Half Price Books. I noted that both of the
> outlets near me have Photoshop on their shelves.
>
> "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Was wondering if there is any place where to buy
>> old licences of expensive software e.g. Adobe Photoshop
>> so I can then qualify for the upgrade licence on the
>> latest version ... feasible solution?
>>
>> TIA
>> Best Regards,
>> Giovanni

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:32:33 PM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:lILKe.86889$G8.30508@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> mortn wrote:
> []
> > Why would you want that? You can get a brand new, up-to-date version
> > of PaintShop Pro v. 9 for much less than you would probably pay for
> > what you suggest. PSP will do everything that PS will for a lot less
> > money.
> > It's a lot easier to learn and use, as well.
>
> And PSP-X (a.k.a. PSP-10) is due out soon....

Available in the USA on pre-release order for $59 (boxed version or download
inc P&P and a free camera strap!).

http://www.corel.com/promotions/psp_launch/pspx_1/index...

Charlie
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:58:15 PM

mortn wrote:

> Charlie Self wrote:
> > Giovanni Azua wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Was wondering if there is any place where to buy
> >> old licences of expensive software e.g. Adobe Photoshop
> >> so I can then qualify for the upgrade licence on the
> >> latest version ... feasible solution?
> >>

> > Try Ebay. They seem to have a lot of that kind of thing.
> >

> Why would you want that? You can get a brand new, up-to-date version of
> PaintShop Pro v. 9 for much less than you would probably pay for what
> you suggest. PSP will do everything that PS will for a lot less money.
> It's a lot easier to learn and use, as well.
>
> Please note: I have no affiliation with PSP. I'm just a very satisfied user.
>
> Good luck whatever you decide.

I run an older version 6 of Photoshop, and the other day my email had an
offer to buy PSP9 for $99, so, interested, I downloaded a free
time-limited copy and tried it out.

It certainly has most of PS's features, but I found a catch that doesn't
seem to be aired by the PSP afficionados. PS operations like unsharp
mask, contrast adjustment, histogram adjustment, in fact any
image-altering operation acts on the entire image so one can see the
effect immediately, whereas in PSP the operation alters only the small
window in the particular tool one might be using, and the overall effect
doesn't happen until you click 'ok' and close the tool. It's difficult
to judge the overall effect just by the small window, so unless I missed
something, that would be enough to make me buy PS instead of PSP.

Colin D.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:58:16 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:58:15 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

>to judge the overall effect just by the small window, so unless I missed
>something, that would be enough to make me buy PS instead of PSP.

Toggle the AutoProof button in the preview dialog box. The let most button
with the eye.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
August 12, 2005 9:58:18 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:58:15 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Colin D
> <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> >to judge the overall effect just by the small window, so unless I missed
> >something, that would be enough to make me buy PS instead of PSP.
>
> Toggle the AutoProof button in the preview dialog box. The let most button
> with the eye.
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...

Ok, thanks for that, but it's s-l-o-w, even on my 3 GHz whizbang.

Colin D.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:58:19 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:58:18 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Ok, thanks for that, but it's s-l-o-w, even on my 3 GHz whizbang.

I still use PSP8 a bit and evaluation PSE# now. I don't find PSP slow
compared to PSE. When you say slow, what part? Make sure you have the
setup write so you're not writing backup copies for every step to your hard
disk.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
August 12, 2005 9:58:19 PM

ebay.com has lots of older photoshop with valid serial numbers for sale.

so do educational discounters, and closeout shops that take old stock of
software and sell them. just search and see - you should be able to
find an old copy easily for <$100.

---

as for PSP, well, nothing is faster than PSP 5 on my machine, which
loads up next to instant. sadly, everything else that has been released
afterwards merely loads up slower =( They should design the software to
be modular - so we can toss out all that we'll never use, and only keep
a fast, quick subset of what we do need.
August 13, 2005 3:31:17 PM

To load Photoshop CS2 fast, open Bridge then click on your image and CS2
opens instantly. Sorry if this is off your topic of PSP.
Jack

!