Sign in with
Your question

Will this work?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 5:16:10 AM

Sorry I didn't know wether to put this in this forum or the Graphics one.

I have a CiT Vantage Midi Tower Gaming Case ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-Vantage-Gaming-Audio-Reader... )
My motherboard is a GA-Z77-D3H ( http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4... )

I have just ordered a GPU, an ASUS 660ti ( http://www.ebuyer.com/393522-asus-gtx-660-ti-directcu-i... )

Im pretty certain the GPU will fit, because I have read in 2 separate places that it supports up to around 320mm long cards, but I just wanted to make sure!
Thanks in advance!

More about : work

a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2012 11:28:50 AM

All you may need to do is move the hardrive up above the video card; it may butt up against it. Be sure your power supply has the proper leads and 12v rail ratings for your 660ti. I recommend at least 24 amps on each 12v rail.
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 2:53:44 PM

o1die said:
All you may need to do is move the hardrive up above the video card; it may butt up against it. Be sure your power supply has the proper leads and 12v rail ratings for your 660ti. I recommend at least 24 amps on each 12v rail.

Thanks so much :) 
Just for info if anyone wants it, this is my PSU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-750W-Dual-V2-2-Effici...
Related resources
November 19, 2012 3:24:05 PM

Ouch on that PSU
a c 282 ) Power supply
November 19, 2012 3:25:25 PM

Anonymous said:
Thanks so much :) 
Just for info if anyone wants it, this is my PSU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-750W-Dual-V2-2-Effici...

Yes - I had to do the same thing oldie is suggesting, & move my 2 hdd.

However, plz be aware thet your PSU might be fine for this card,
but is well short of oldie's recommendation on +12v avail amps.
It appears to be an older design (quality might be good, I'm not familiar with Powercool),
in that it has a lot of amps avail on the 5v & 3.3v rails, but the GPU &CPU use the +12v rail.

Tom
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 3:26:04 PM

blacknemesist said:
Ouch on that PSU

Why?
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 3:27:50 PM

toyftw said:
Yes - I had to do the same thing oldie is suggesting, & move my 2 hdd.

However, plz be aware thet your PSU might be fine for this card,
but is well short of oldie's recommendation on +12v avail amps.
It appears to be an older design (quality might be good, I'm not familiar with Powercool),
in that it has a lot of amps avail on the 5v & 3.3v rails, but the GPU &CPU use the +12v rail.

Tom

Yeah I built this knowing virtually nothing about building pc's.... From what I read ("Multi-GPU support: independent double +12V rails designed specially for dual graphic cards") I thought it would be ok?
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 3:36:02 PM

blacknemesist said:
Quality is unknown.You maybe be in for a very nasty surprise!

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Great check list of good PSU.

I've already built the PC! Sorry didn't mention that before. I built it fully early August, but only ordered a GPU yesterday... Up until now I have been using the integrated 4000 graphics, which work OK but not ideal..... Nothing has ever gone wrong with the PC apart from right at the beginning (forgot standoffs under the motherboard so it wouldn't start, and then a couple of bluescreens - sorted everything now)
a c 282 ) Power supply
November 19, 2012 3:36:52 PM

Anonymous said:
Yeah I built this knowing virtually nothing about building pc's.... From what I read ("Multi-GPU support: independent double +12V rails designed specially for dual graphic cards") I thought it would be ok?

Hi again - that PSU might be ok for this card, was just drawing your attention that a lot
of the avail amps are on the +3.3 & +5v rails, the most power hungry components use the +12v rail(s),
in fact my gut opinion is you'll be OK.

Tom

I do suggest however, that you start saving some money and look to repl that PSU(down the road a bit)
with a more modern design, meaning a large proportion of avail amps are on the +12v rail(s).

November 19, 2012 3:41:40 PM

Oh so try not push it too hard or it might just blow on your face ;) 

Its not about the the power and 12v Amps,its the quality that is in question,as in,what components it is built with.That means that it way be able to stand good with moderate use for a few years but it loose efficiency.Thats why its better to spend a bit more on a PSU that provides less power but withstands the test of time.
I used to have a LCpower hyperion 700w and it turned out to live almost 7 years and counting...although I never pushed it that much.
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 3:42:01 PM

toyftw said:
Hi again - that PSU might be ok for this card, was just drawing your attention that a lot
of the avail amps are on the +3.3 & +5v rails, the most power hungry components use the +12v rail(s),
in fact my gut opinion is you'll be OK.

Tom

Thanks, took a look at the reviews on that site (amazon) and there is one person at least who uses a gpu (and has mentioned that on there) and says its fine. When I built it I was rushing as I just wanted to get it done. I put most "research" into CPU, RAM, HDD and Motherboard, and basically picked the first case/PSU I saw.
Hopefully sometime in the next few months I will get a new case, and probably a new PSU whilst I'm at it. I was looking at a X-Predator Case (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004FS5DNM/), which has been recommended to me by a number of different people. Looking back, I wish I hadn't rushed as much!
a c 282 ) Power supply
November 19, 2012 3:49:47 PM

Anonymous said:
Thanks, took a look at the reviews on that site (amazon) and there is one person at least who uses a gpu (and has mentioned that on there) and says its fine. When I built it I was rushing as I just wanted to get it done. I put most "research" into CPU, RAM, HDD and Motherboard, and basically picked the first case/PSU I saw.
Hopefully sometime in the next few months I will get a new case, and probably a new PSU whilst I'm at it. I was looking at a X-Predator Case (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004FS5DNM/), which has been recommended to me by a number of different people. Looking back, I wish I hadn't rushed as much!

Yeah - should be OK. I did the same thing when I got this PC, ended up pulling out the "PSU" I selected
after a few weeks and repl it. I even had to wait a while to get my (GPU), I also used intel hd 4000
for approx 3 months. This is from Tom's Hardware building a PC tutorial:

The power supply is the single most critical component in the entire system. A faulty unit can die a horrible death,
taking out several key pieces of hardware in the process, while an underpowered part can cause crashes or even boot failure.
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 3:52:02 PM

blacknemesist said:
Oh so try not push it too hard or it might just blow on your face ;) 

Its not about the the power and 12v Amps,its the quality that is in question,as in,what components it is built with.That means that it way be able to stand good with moderate use for a few years but it loose efficiency.Thats why its better to spend a bit more on a PSU that provides less power but withstands the test of time.
I used to have a LCpower hyperion 700w and it turned out to live almost 7 years and counting...although I never pushed it that much.

Ah OK thanks, as I said above soon (when I get money :p  ) I will hopefully get a new Case and PSU, one from that link you posted above, thanks a lot for that btw.
Anonymous
November 19, 2012 3:53:41 PM

toyftw said:
Yeah - should be OK. I did the same thing when I got this PC, ended up pulling out the "PSU" I selected
after a few weeks and repl it. I even had to wait a while to get my (GPU), I also used intel hd 4000
for approx 3 months. This is from Tom's Hardware building a PC tutorial:

The power supply is the single most critical component in the entire system. A faulty unit can die a horrible death,
taking out several key pieces of hardware in the process, while an underpowered part can cause crashes or even boot failure.

Thanks, as I said really wishing I'd spent more time researching everything before buying/building... Just going to end up spending more than needed now :??: 
!