Sign in with
Your question

Custom Gaming PC Help?

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2012 7:07:59 AM

Hello, I'm building my first time gaming PC, and I almost have everything sorted out but I was curious on what your opinions are on the best Mobo, soundcard (not sure if its needed for sandy bridge (more on that later)) and graphics card. My overall budget is 1000$ and these are the parts that I am going to be using for sure:
Approximate Purchase Date: Approximately a month

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Browsing the web, skype, etc.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, speakers, webcam

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon

Parts Preferences: The 2500k takes priority over everything else in the list, I'd prefer parts from well known companies.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: not sure what this is :o 

Monitor Resolution: 1080p / 720p

OS - $170
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium/...

Processor - $205
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-2500K-Processor-1155/d...

Hard Drive - $105
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT12...

Case - $60
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K...

Disk Drive - $17
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD-RW-Serial-Internal-DR...

RAM - $50
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platfor...

Power Supply - $60
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Certified-Compatible-Plat...

Total: $670

Any cheap reccomendations (that would be good for strategy games (Total War, Civ) but also good at minecraft and the like? Also I'm not too sure on the power supply, I don't want to skimp on that and destroy my whole computer, but I also don't want to overspend on it, so any ideas on what:

Sound card

Motherboard

Video Card

I need? Thanks ahead of time.

More about : custom gaming

a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 7:10:33 AM

For us to better help u
*How To Ask For New Build Advice*
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

For audio matters - are u passing digital audio out from your PC (COAX/OPTICAL/HDMI) to a receiver or just normal PC/multimedia speakers? Would u use speakers only, headphones or both?
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:23:13 AM

batuchka said:
For us to better help u
*How To Ask For New Build Advice*
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

For audio matters - are u passing digital audio out from your PC (COAX/OPTICAL/HDMI) to a receiver or just normal PC/multimedia speakers? Would u use speakers only, headphones or both?

I'll definitely use 3.5mm speakers
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2012 7:26:14 AM

Dont worry about audio unless you are a complete sound nut
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:28:38 AM

PANZER4 said:
Dont worry about audio unless you are a complete sound nut

So if I'm correct, will the sandy bride processor handle audio?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 7:29:06 AM

I'd say get a Radon 7850 for this build. It's something that you can afford, but should offer excellent 1080p performance while also sipping power and if you want to, having incredible overclocking headroom.

Your PSU choice is good. Corsair makes some of the best PSUs.

The motherboard should be a fairly easy choice. Get a Z77 or a Z68 board for sure, preferably a Z77 just to be as future proofed as you can reasonably get (although it shouldn't make a performance difference right now). I prefer buying from newegg.com over amazon strictly because they give you far, far more info about a product and motherboards are something where you want every little detail and most people would rather not need to look it up. Newegg also tends to not only have more reviews, but at least somewhat better informed reviews and oftentimes responses from the manufacturers to some of these reviews.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 7:34:59 AM

u53rn4m3 said:
So if I'm correct, will the sandy bride processor handle audio?

Most motherboards made within at least the last decade or so have integrated sound and modern motherboards have some pretty good integrated sound, especially those with integrated soundblaster audio. The CPU might do some of the work, but it isn't the audio hardware.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:41:50 AM

blazorthon said:
I'd say get a Radon 7850 for this build. It's something that you can afford, but should offer excellent 1080p performance while also sipping power and if you want to, having incredible overclocking headroom.

Your PSU choice is good. Corsair makes some of the best PSUs.

The motherboard should be a fairly easy choice. Get a Z77 or a Z68 board for sure, preferably a Z77 just to be as future proofed as you can reasonably get (although it shouldn't make a performance difference right now). I prefer buying from newegg.com over amazon strictly because they give you far, far more info about a product and motherboards are something where you want every little detail and most people would rather not need to look it up. Newegg also tends to not only have more reviews, but at least somewhat better informed reviews and oftentimes responses from the manufacturers to some of these reviews.

I only shop on Amazon because of the convenience otherwise I'd be browsing Newegg.

Should I really spend that much on a sound card? I know fps is critical to a good gaming experience, but I can't help but feel like it's somewhat of a waste (I'm no graphic whore)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 7:51:14 AM

u53rn4m3 said:
I only shop on Amazon because of the convenience otherwise I'd be browsing Newegg.

Should I really spend that much on a sound card? I know fps is critical to a good gaming experience, but I can't help but feel like it's somewhat of a waste (I'm no graphic whore)

The processing power that goes to audio is minimal and I don't think that it makes a difference. If you want somewhat higher quality audio, then feel free to grab a sound card if you can afford one (I'm not so sure about fitting a good one into your budget). However, I highly doubt that it will affect the FPS by more than a fraction of a percent, especially on a quad core CPU considering how games tend to not utilize more than one or two cores very well.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:52:44 AM

blazorthon said:
The processing power that goes to audio is minimal and I don't think that it makes a difference. If you want somewhat higher quality audio, then feel free to grab a sound card if you can afford one (I'm not so sure about fitting a good one into your budget). However, I highly doubt that it will affect the FPS by more than a fraction of a percent, especially on a quad core CPU considering how games tend to not utilize more than one or two cores very well.

Oh that was a typo sorry, I meant a graphic card, I removed the audio card from my build plans
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:14:31 AM

Anyone willing to comment on:

Should I really spend that much on a sound (graphic) card? I know fps is critical to a good gaming experience, but I can't help but feel like it's somewhat of a waste (I'm no graphic whore)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 8:20:56 AM

u53rn4m3 said:
Anyone willing to comment on:

Should I really spend that much on a sound (graphic) card? I know fps is critical to a good gaming experience, but I can't help but feel like it's somewhat of a waste (I'm no graphic whore)

Video cards are graphics. Sound is audio. If you mean a graphics card, then it has next to nothing to do with sound except for sound over HDMI. You should get at least a good 1080p gaming card and that's why I recommended the 7850. It is excellent for 1080p and is really what I'd call a 1080p minimum unless you were on an extremely tight budget and $1K is not tight. Going too far beyond the 7850 is what I'd call a waste. If you don't mind a cheaper but inferior gaming experience, then sure, you can step down to cheaper and weaker graphics cards if you want to. This is your build, so it's your choice.
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:34:07 AM

blazorthon said:
Video cards are graphics. Sound is audio. If you mean a graphics card, then it has next to nothing to do with sound except for sound over HDMI. You should get at least a good 1080p gaming card and that's why I recommended the 7850. It is excellent for 1080p and is really what I'd call a 1080p minimum unless you were on an extremely tight budget and $1K is not tight. Going too far beyond the 7850 is what I'd call a waste. If you don't mind a cheaper but inferior gaming experience, then sure, you can step down to cheaper and weaker graphics cards if you want to. This is your build, so it's your choice.

Well thank you for being the most active in this thread and also for explaining its a minimum (I was under the impression that the video card I had listed could run 1080p.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 7:17:06 PM

Long story short

1. If u are on PC/Multimedia speakers onboard sound is fine and dun crack your head over it

2. If u have an external receiver skip the discrete sound card and send digital audio out via motherboard

3. For games hit the best GPU your $$ can land you for best results
m
l
!