Congrats to Cyde Weys

I can't believe the amount of blue responses on a thread that is absolutely
worthless.

Meanwhile, posts with very good ideas and well written commentary are
ignored. <sigh>

I respect Blizzard, but I wish I understood what criteria they use when
deciding to respond to a thread...

"G Wilson" <gwilson1988@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I can't believe the amount of blue responses on a thread that is
> absolutely worthless.

The thread isn't worthless at all. You know, a blue responds to every
thread that gets locked. That is a waste of time.

The matter is simple. The tabard plain and simple tooks retarded on ALL
servers. On RP servers it is even worse because it is totally OOC. How
would you like it if one of the scenes in the Lord of the Rings movies had
Frodo wearing a shirt that said "LOTR" on it? That'd be stupid and it
would destroy immersiveness. That's exactly what this tabard is going to
be like if it does go in-game.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Cyde Weys wrote:
> David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in news:4297a89b$0$363
> $c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:
>>http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=3307335
>>
>>11 pages of responses and still going strong. Nice one!
>
> Hehe, well, thanks! How'd you know it was me and not some other Cyde?

Oh, I knew you were on Cenarion Circle, I knew you were a Hunter, and I
knew you had to be very close to 60 if not level 60. Figured it was
pretty unlikely that the name "Cyde" was a coincidence. :)

Cheers!
David...

Cyde Weys wrote:

> Hehe, well, thanks! How'd you know it was me and not some other Cyde?
>
> --
> ~ Cyde Weys ~

I figured it was you too. Even the language style was similar to your
posts here.

BTW, I wouldn't let my Imp wear that tabbard. It really is... just...
bad. But like others have pointed out in that thread, Blizzard's MO is
pretty tongue-in-cheek in all the Warcraft games. Homage to their own
products (Starcraft, Diablo) is as much a tradition as anything.

They just should have put a little more thought into it, even if it was
going to be some form of self-promotion.

gaf1234567890 wrote:
> Cyde Weys wrote:
> > Hehe, well, thanks! How'd you know it was me and not some other Cyde?
>
> I figured it was you too. Even the language style was similar to your
> posts here.

Wow, I have a distinctive language style? Awesome! Can you please
explain it to me so I know what to look for to make sure I wrote
something and not someone else pretending to be me? Thanks.

Cyde Weys wrote:
> gaf1234567890 wrote:
> > Cyde Weys wrote:
> > > Hehe, well, thanks! How'd you know it was me and not some other Cyde?
> >
> > I figured it was you too. Even the language style was similar to your
> > posts here.
>
> Wow, I have a distinctive language style? Awesome! Can you please
> explain it to me so I know what to look for to make sure I wrote
> something and not someone else pretending to be me? Thanks.

I think everyone does. Maybe it comes from years of chatting with IRC,
but I tend to apply an imaginary "voice" in my head to regular posters.
Coming up with that voice is less an exact science and more a matter of
just imagining things about who the person is (old, young, northern,
southern, caring, sarcastic, analytical, etc). Of course it's probably
nothing like the actual person, but even knowing that doesn't keep me
from doing it. I read books that way as well, I "hear" the characters
speak. This actually slows down how fast I can get through a book, but
it's involuntary I guess.

If I had to give a quantitative answer, it would probably be a bunch of
little things. Always double spacing after a period is actually pretty
unique. Using parenthesis alot rather than commas (see above. Ooops and
this too now). Consistent 3 sentence paragraphs, with the main point
usually coming in the last sentence. And of course the frequency (or
rarity actually) of typos, spelling mistakes, etc. You also tend not to
use many acronyms, abbreviations or slang.