Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Canon 5D seems to be coming . . .

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You can order it here, no price yet:

http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/

Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec would
make a lot of sense.

Deryck

More about : canon coming

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

OK. I don't speak Dutch, but I read enough to understand.
With a full sensor, a 2,5 LCD, 12, 5 MP, etc. It promises to be expensive!
I suppose, it will come sans lens.
For me, something to oggle and dream ;-)
Marcel


"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
news:313030303138393542FB56FA52@deryck.com...
> You can order it here, no price yet:
>
> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>
> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec would
> make a lot of sense.
>
> Deryck
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in news:313030303138393542FB56FA52
@deryck.com:

> You can order it here, no price yet:
>
> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>
> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec would
> make a lot of sense.

I see no reason at all that this has any credibility.

What is the attraction of this sort of rumormongering, anyways?
Related resources
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Bart writes ...
>
>this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
>the Netherlands

Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
replacement, perhaps?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Gerrit - Oz writes ...
>
>Another site but with more specs is http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf

Thanks ... anyone know what "Flecha embargo" means? And what "Comienzo
Venta" means? I'm guessing it's the announcement date (Aug 22) and the
availabilty date (mid Oct) but my Spanish is limited.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bill Hilton wrote:

> > Gerrit - Oz writes ...
> >
> >Another site but with more specs is http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>
> Thanks ... anyone know what "Flecha embargo" means?

embargo date

> And what "Comienzo Venta" means?

will begin/start/commence selling
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Deryck wrote ...
>
>You can order it here, no price yet:
>http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/

A friend from Rotterdam gave me the following rough translation ...

Canon comes with new EOS 5D!
Rumour becomes truth, Canon introduces a new SRL, the Canon EOS 5D.

This camera has a 12,8 megapixel fullframe sensor (type CMOS 35,8 x
23,9 mm). The LCD screen is larger than that of the other models. It's
a 2,5 inch LCD screen with 230.000 pixels. The mount is built for the
EF lenses, the EF-S lenses will not fit. The camera has a USB 2.0
connection and the accu type BP511 has not changed. It is possible to
enlist now without obligations. The price and the delivery time are
unknown at the moment. (Enlist via the button "verwacht".)
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Jim Townsend wrote ...
>
>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range
>which puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market.
>I think it's filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..

My take on it is that this is the film equivalent of the EOS-3, the
"pro-sumer" body that was better than the Elan at about double the
price, but less rugged and with slower burst rate than the 1V at about
half the price. This would make sense in that now there's a digital
equivalent for each of their film bodies at about 4x the price, ie,
Rebel to Rebel, Elan to 20D, EOS-3 to 5D, and the 1V and 1V-HS
parallels are the 1Ds M II and 1D M II.

>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor

I agree, I'd have thought it would have a 1.3x sensor if it's really an
EOS-3 spin off. Notice they added just enough pixels to slightly
eclipe the Nikon D2x (which is a fine camera). Maybe we'll see a 1.3x
sensor in the 20D replacement at the $1,500 price point one of these
days? As a wildlife photographer I kind of like the extra reach of the
1.3x sensor (we have two 1D Mark II's), it's almost like getting a
tele-converter for free (optically).

Bill
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>John Stovall wrote ...
>
>There have been threads out on dpreview and Fred Miranda quoting
>a Canon executive in a interview that Canon will move to only 2
>sensor sizes.

What was actually said in the article you quote was "Looks like in the
future you'll have two lines of lenses, one for APS size senzor and one
for normal, 35mm senzor size." This is what they've got now (EF-S
lenses for the 1.6x sensor and all the EF lenses, which will fit 1.6x
or 1.3x or 1x sensors). Doesn't automatically follow that they will
drop the 1.3x sensor size from this quote ...

>Here's the interview.
>http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_440...
>Jernej: At the moment you have two high end cameras. Will the next
>generation be just one, high speed and high resolution camera?

I can see where this could mean the 1Ds with full frame and 1D with
1.3x but faster speed will eventually merge into one body with both
high resolution and fast speed and I guess it makes sense that it will
be full frame instead of 1.3x.

Interesting article, thanks for the link ...

Bill
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Thanks ... anyone know what "Flecha embargo" means? And what "Comienzo
> Venta" means? I'm guessing it's the announcement date (Aug 22) and the
> availabilty date (mid Oct) but my Spanish is limited.

"Embargo date" and "sales start".

steve
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bill Hilton wrote:

>> Bart writes ...
>>
>>this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
>>the Netherlands
>
> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
> replacement, perhaps?

It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range which
puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market. I think it's
filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..

It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor.. The mass
production that will result in a less expensive camera with a full
frame sensor is bound to reduce the price of the full-frame. I
wonder if this is the writing on the wall for the 1.6 crop
sensor ?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:47:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:08:45 -0500, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
wrote:

>Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>>> Bart writes ...
>>>
>>>this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
>>>the Netherlands
>>
>> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
>> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
>> replacement, perhaps?
>
>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range which
>puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market. I think it's
>filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>
>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor.. The mass
>production that will result in a less expensive camera with a full
>frame sensor is bound to reduce the price of the full-frame. I
>wonder if this is the writing on the wall for the 1.6 crop
>sensor ?

Not the 1.6 crop but for the 1.3 it is.


******************************************************

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:01:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 11 Aug 2005 11:24:38 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com>
wrote:

>>Jim Townsend wrote ...
>>
>>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range
>>which puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market.
>>I think it's filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>
>My take on it is that this is the film equivalent of the EOS-3, the
>"pro-sumer" body that was better than the Elan at about double the
>price, but less rugged and with slower burst rate than the 1V at about
>half the price. This would make sense in that now there's a digital
>equivalent for each of their film bodies at about 4x the price, ie,
>Rebel to Rebel, Elan to 20D, EOS-3 to 5D, and the 1V and 1V-HS
>parallels are the 1Ds M II and 1D M II.
>
>>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor
>
>I agree, I'd have thought it would have a 1.3x sensor if it's really an
>EOS-3 spin off. Notice they added just enough pixels to slightly
>eclipe the Nikon D2x (which is a fine camera). Maybe we'll see a 1.3x
>sensor in the 20D replacement at the $1,500 price point one of these
>days? As a wildlife photographer I kind of like the extra reach of the
>1.3x sensor (we have two 1D Mark II's), it's almost like getting a
>tele-converter for free (optically).

There have been threads out on dpreview and Fred Miranda quoting a
Canon executive in a interview that Canon will move to only 2 sensor
sizes.

******************************************************

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:04:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:01:14 -0500, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 11 Aug 2005 11:24:38 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>>Jim Townsend wrote ...
>>>
>>>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range
>>>which puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market.
>>>I think it's filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>>
>>My take on it is that this is the film equivalent of the EOS-3, the
>>"pro-sumer" body that was better than the Elan at about double the
>>price, but less rugged and with slower burst rate than the 1V at about
>>half the price. This would make sense in that now there's a digital
>>equivalent for each of their film bodies at about 4x the price, ie,
>>Rebel to Rebel, Elan to 20D, EOS-3 to 5D, and the 1V and 1V-HS
>>parallels are the 1Ds M II and 1D M II.
>>
>>>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor
>>
>>I agree, I'd have thought it would have a 1.3x sensor if it's really an
>>EOS-3 spin off. Notice they added just enough pixels to slightly
>>eclipe the Nikon D2x (which is a fine camera). Maybe we'll see a 1.3x
>>sensor in the 20D replacement at the $1,500 price point one of these
>>days? As a wildlife photographer I kind of like the extra reach of the
>>1.3x sensor (we have two 1D Mark II's), it's almost like getting a
>>tele-converter for free (optically).
>
>There have been threads out on dpreview and Fred Miranda quoting a
>Canon executive in a interview that Canon will move to only 2 sensor
>sizes.

Here's the interview.

http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_440...

Jernej: At the moment you have two high end cameras. Will the next
generation be just one, high speed and high resolution camera?


Takaya: [nodding] yes
******************************************************

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:40:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

This would put it in the same price range as the 1D Mk II. It seems odd
that Canon would price it in the same range as one of their
'professional' models. I understand of course the the full frame 1Ds is
$8k. But still....of course this is wishful thinking on my part. I am
hoping it might come in signficantly lower USD.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:08:45 -0500, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
wrote:

>Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>>> Bart writes ...
>>>
>>>this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
>>>the Netherlands
>>
>> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
>> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
>> replacement, perhaps?
>
>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range which
>puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market. I think it's
>filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>
>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor.. The mass
>production that will result in a less expensive camera with a full
>frame sensor is bound to reduce the price of the full-frame. I
>wonder if this is the writing on the wall for the 1.6 crop
>sensor ?

I doubt it.
Else, why the EF-S lenses?

--
Bill Funk
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The message <1123768771.352387.222620@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
from "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> contains these words:

> > Bart writes ...
> >
> >this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
> >the Netherlands

> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
> replacement, perhaps?

Based on the 20D and using the light 511A battery, hence the 810 grms body
only weight, under 900gms inc battery.

More:

http://www.sdcard.be/English/store/viewitem.asp?idprodu...

Deryck
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1123796454.387997.206690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> This would put it in the same price range as the 1D Mk II. It seems odd
> that Canon would price it in the same range as one of their
> 'professional' models. I understand of course the the full frame 1Ds is
> $8k. But still....of course this is wishful thinking on my part. I am
> hoping it might come in signficantly lower USD.

If they are talking about the **list price** then it probably will be
significantly lower.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:42:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
news:313030303138393542FB56FA52@deryck.com...
> You can order it here, no price yet:
>
> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>
> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec
> would
> make a lot of sense.

FWIW, this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
the Netherlands, and they are usually amongst the first to receive
delivery.

Bart
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Lee Oswald Ving" <leeoving@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96AF5722652CCleeovingyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in
> news:313030303138393542FB56FA52
> @deryck.com:
>
>> You can order it here, no price yet:
>>
>> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>>
>> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec
>> would
>> make a lot of sense.
>
> I see no reason at all that this has any credibility.

That site is of a reputable Canon Pro-dealer. They have enough
credibility with me to have bought several cameras and lenses there.
Very pleasant people to do business with, and they have (very) decent
prices.

Bart
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:54:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Lee Oswald Ving" <leeoving@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96AF5722652CCleeovingyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in news:313030303138393542FB56FA52
> @deryck.com:
>
>> You can order it here, no price yet:
>>
>> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>>
>> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec would
>> make a lot of sense.
>
> I see no reason at all that this has any credibility.
>
> What is the attraction of this sort of rumormongering, anyways?

Some people have been waiting for such a model.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:56:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
news:313030303138393542FB56FA52@deryck.com...
> You can order it here, no price yet:
>
> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>
> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec would
> make a lot of sense.
>

I can't believe we gotta endure 11 more days for the announcement.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:45:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

John A. Stovall wrote:
>>
>>There have been threads out on dpreview and Fred Miranda quoting a
>>Canon executive in a interview that Canon will move to only 2 sensor
>>sizes.
>
>
> Here's the interview.
>
> http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_440...
>
> Jernej: At the moment you have two high end cameras. Will the next
> generation be just one, high speed and high resolution camera?
>
>
> Takaya: [nodding] yes

One might take into account the Japanese culture in the above exchange.

Otoh, moving to two "lines" of sensors makes.....

sense.

--
john mcwilliams

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:10:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Mark wrote ...
>
> although they recently ran a $500 rebate, which put it down to
> $3400 (for the 1D Mark II)

I interpreted that move as either a sign there will be a replacement
model announced in Sept (which would fit the 18 month upgrade cycle)
and they are moving out existing inventory *or* Nikon's D2x is proving
to be such a worthy competitor (about $5,000 but a lot more megapixels,
with a high speed option using fewer mpix) that Canon felt they had to
lower the price a bit and could do so and still make good profit.

Or both of the above :) 

Bill
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

John A. Stovall wrote:

> Not the 1.6 crop but for the 1.3 it is.

Not necessarily. Canon seems to be anal about noise, and if they up the
resolution on the 20D successor, then they may have to go to something
around 1.3. A 5D with full frame, and a 12 megapixel upgrade of the 20D
with 1.3x might make sense, especially if they can do it and keep the
EF-s lenses compatible. The question is whether or not they can go to 12
megapixels/1.3x and not run into the noise issues that Nikon had with 12
megapixels/1.5x.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:39:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:39:03 GMT, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>
>> Not the 1.6 crop but for the 1.3 it is.
>
>Not necessarily. Canon seems to be anal about noise, and if they up the
>resolution on the 20D successor, then they may have to go to something
>around 1.3. A 5D with full frame, and a 12 megapixel upgrade of the 20D
>with 1.3x might make sense, especially if they can do it and keep the
>EF-s lenses compatible. The question is whether or not they can go to 12
>megapixels/1.3x and not run into the noise issues that Nikon had with 12
>megapixels/1.5x.

The EF-S lenses will not work with the 1.3.


******************************************************

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in
news:xwKKe.8665$p%3.36265@typhoon.sonic.net:

>
> "Lee Oswald Ving" <leeoving@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns96AF5722652CCleeovingyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
>> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in
>> news:313030303138393542FB56FA52 @deryck.com:
>>
>>> You can order it here, no price yet:
>>>
>>> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>>>
>>> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec
>>> would make a lot of sense.
>>
>> I see no reason at all that this has any credibility.
>>
>> What is the attraction of this sort of rumormongering, anyways?
>
> Some people have been waiting for such a model.

I'm one of them. But jumping on rumors isn't going to make such a camera
reality.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:01:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in news:42fb56f3$0$11068
$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

>
> "Lee Oswald Ving" <leeoving@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns96AF5722652CCleeovingyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
>> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in
>> news:313030303138393542FB56FA52
>> @deryck.com:
>>
>>> You can order it here, no price yet:
>>>
>>> http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>>>
>>> Some of the leaked info could be imagination, but the basic spec
>>> would
>>> make a lot of sense.
>>
>> I see no reason at all that this has any credibility.
>
> That site is of a reputable Canon Pro-dealer.

....that would be under a Non Disclosure Agreement if they actually knew
anything about unreleased models.

The information has been repeated ad naseum over the web with them as a
reference, Canon hasn't forced them to yank it, so it's a pretty good bet
the information is wrong.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:11:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1123779760.890028.106380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Deryck wrote ...
>>
>>You can order it here, no price yet:
>>http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/
>
> A friend from Rotterdam gave me the following rough translation ...
>
> Canon comes with new EOS 5D!
> Rumour becomes truth, Canon introduces a new SRL, the Canon EOS 5D.
>
> This camera has a 12,8 megapixel fullframe sensor (type CMOS 35,8 x
> 23,9 mm). The LCD screen is larger than that of the other models. It's
> a 2,5 inch LCD screen with 230.000 pixels. The mount is built for the
> EF lenses, the EF-S lenses will not fit. The camera has a USB 2.0
> connection and the accu type BP511 has not changed. It is possible to
> enlist now without obligations. The price and the delivery time are
> unknown at the moment. (Enlist via the button "verwacht".)
>

www.tweakers.net .. in the news items .. suggested price ?3459 aka roughly
$4255 .. :-)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:41:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The message <jv7nf158cpnjg3ovrbtucvbbmqcqjvbrq8@4ax.com>
from John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> contains these words:

> On 11 Aug 2005 11:24:38 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com>
> wrote:

> >>Jim Townsend wrote ...
> >>
> >>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range
> >>which puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market.
> >>I think it's filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
> >
> >My take on it is that this is the film equivalent of the EOS-3, the
> >"pro-sumer" body that was better than the Elan at about double the
> >price, but less rugged and with slower burst rate than the 1V at about
> >half the price. This would make sense in that now there's a digital
> >equivalent for each of their film bodies at about 4x the price, ie,
> >Rebel to Rebel, Elan to 20D, EOS-3 to 5D, and the 1V and 1V-HS
> >parallels are the 1Ds M II and 1D M II.
> >
> >>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor
> >
> >I agree, I'd have thought it would have a 1.3x sensor if it's really an
> >EOS-3 spin off. Notice they added just enough pixels to slightly
> >eclipe the Nikon D2x (which is a fine camera). Maybe we'll see a 1.3x
> >sensor in the 20D replacement at the $1,500 price point one of these
> >days? As a wildlife photographer I kind of like the extra reach of the
> >1.3x sensor (we have two 1D Mark II's), it's almost like getting a
> >tele-converter for free (optically).

> There have been threads out on dpreview and Fred Miranda quoting a
> Canon executive in a interview that Canon will move to only 2 sensor
> sizes.

The upcoming 1D2N will probably be 12meg full frame at 8fps. This camera
will get the high yield imaging chips, while the 3fps 5D will receive
the low yield chips after Canon has mapped out the defective pixels.

Deryck
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:18:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"imbsysop" <imbsysop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:42fb86ad$0$20680$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
SNIP
> www.tweakers.net .. in the news items .. suggested price ?3459 aka
> roughly $4255 .. :-)

The mentioned suggested selling price of € 3459 presumably is with
19% VAT (for the Netherlands), so with the current exchange rate
approximately USD 3500.

Bart
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:28:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96AF8EC228B25ericvgillyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
> "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in news:42fb56f3$0$11068
> $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:
SNIP
>> That site is of a reputable Canon Pro-dealer.
>
> ...that would be under a Non Disclosure Agreement if they actually
> knew
> anything about unreleased models.

Why do you think the Advertizing agency that 'leaked' the PDF would
risk losing business to all prospective customers that work with a
NDA?

The leak is more likely part of the advertizing campaign, creating
free publicity to hurt sales of the competitors, and a lot of free
publicity for Canon.

Besides, the dealer doesn't disclose anything that's not out in the
open already, so they may well be taking part in the introduction
effort ...

Bart
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:28:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <42fba7e9$0$11076$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, bvdwolf@no.spam
says...
> The leak is more likely part of the advertizing campaign, creating
> free publicity to hurt sales of the competitors, and a lot of free
> publicity for Canon.
>
> Besides, the dealer doesn't disclose anything that's not out in the
> open already, so they may well be taking part in the introduction
> effort ...
>
> Bart

Those sneaky Dutchmen...
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:28:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in news:42fba7e9$0$11076
$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

>
> "Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns96AF8EC228B25ericvgillyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
>> "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in news:42fb56f3$0$11068
>> $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:
> SNIP
>>> That site is of a reputable Canon Pro-dealer.
>>
>> ...that would be under a Non Disclosure Agreement if they actually
>> knew
>> anything about unreleased models.
>
> Why do you think the Advertizing agency that 'leaked' the PDF would
> risk losing business to all prospective customers that work with a
> NDA?

Advertising agency?

What advertising agency uses Power Point for printable materials instead of
a professional page layout package?

And since when does an Canon-hired agency not have access to the vector
versions of Canon's logos?

You've been had.

<snip>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:57:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Lee Oswald Ving" <leeoving@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm one of them. But jumping on rumors isn't going to make such a camera
> reality.

"Jumping," I dunno.

But discussing is interesting.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:07:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1123784678.374278.47090@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >Jim Townsend wrote ...
>>
>>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range
>>which puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market.
>>I think it's filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>
> My take on it is that this is the film equivalent of the EOS-3, the
> "pro-sumer" body that was better than the Elan at about double the
> price, but less rugged and with slower burst rate than the 1V at about
> half the price. This would make sense in that now there's a digital
> equivalent for each of their film bodies at about 4x the price, ie,
> Rebel to Rebel, Elan to 20D, EOS-3 to 5D, and the 1V and 1V-HS
> parallels are the 1Ds M II and 1D M II.
>
>>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor
>
> I agree, I'd have thought it would have a 1.3x sensor if it's really an
> EOS-3 spin off. Notice they added just enough pixels to slightly
> eclipe the Nikon D2x (which is a fine camera). Maybe we'll see a 1.3x
> sensor in the 20D replacement at the $1,500 price point one of these
> days? As a wildlife photographer I kind of like the extra reach of the
> 1.3x sensor (we have two 1D Mark II's), it's almost like getting a
> tele-converter for free (optically).

With the 350D and the 20D, it seems to me Canon has said from here on the
xxD and xxxD (two-digit and three-digit models) will work with the EF-S
lenses but not a single-digit model, which is why the 5D is named such,
because it cannot receive an EF-S. And, a 1.3x will never carry a two-digit
model number and hence will never be a replacement for the 20D.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:10:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
news:313030303138393542FBB80444@deryck.com...
> The message <jv7nf158cpnjg3ovrbtucvbbmqcqjvbrq8@4ax.com>
> from John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> contains these words:
>
>> On 11 Aug 2005 11:24:38 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> >>Jim Townsend wrote ...
>> >>
>> >>It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range
>> >>which puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market.
>> >>I think it's filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>> >
>> >My take on it is that this is the film equivalent of the EOS-3, the
>> >"pro-sumer" body that was better than the Elan at about double the
>> >price, but less rugged and with slower burst rate than the 1V at about
>> >half the price. This would make sense in that now there's a digital
>> >equivalent for each of their film bodies at about 4x the price, ie,
>> >Rebel to Rebel, Elan to 20D, EOS-3 to 5D, and the 1V and 1V-HS
>> >parallels are the 1Ds M II and 1D M II.
>> >
>> >>It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor
>> >
>> >I agree, I'd have thought it would have a 1.3x sensor if it's really an
>> >EOS-3 spin off. Notice they added just enough pixels to slightly
>> >eclipe the Nikon D2x (which is a fine camera). Maybe we'll see a 1.3x
>> >sensor in the 20D replacement at the $1,500 price point one of these
>> >days? As a wildlife photographer I kind of like the extra reach of the
>> >1.3x sensor (we have two 1D Mark II's), it's almost like getting a
>> >tele-converter for free (optically).
>
>> There have been threads out on dpreview and Fred Miranda quoting a
>> Canon executive in a interview that Canon will move to only 2 sensor
>> sizes.
>
> The upcoming 1D2N will probably be 12meg full frame at 8fps. This camera
> will get the high yield imaging chips, while the 3fps 5D will receive
> the low yield chips after Canon has mapped out the defective pixels.

Nah. Call it a 1DsN and I think it's possible. But I think the 1D will
always be 1.3x. I mean, we've been stuck at 8fps for a while - it is time to
get to maybe 12 fps.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:21:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
news:11fn4sijna8d0c0@news.supernews.com...
>
> It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range which
> puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market. I think it's
> filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>
> It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor.. The mass
> production that will result in a less expensive camera with a full
> frame sensor is bound to reduce the price of the full-frame. I
> wonder if this is the writing on the wall for the 1.6 crop
> sensor ?
>

Seriously doubt it. The 1.6 allows Canon to market a DSLR for under $1k,
they wouldn't want to lose that.

Mark
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:22:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1123796454.387997.206690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> This would put it in the same price range as the 1D Mk II. It seems odd
> that Canon would price it in the same range as one of their
> 'professional' models. I understand of course the the full frame 1Ds is
> $8k. But still....of course this is wishful thinking on my part. I am
> hoping it might come in signficantly lower USD.

You and me both. I think $2200 is the most I could pay for something that is
not the "1" series.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:22:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1123768771.352387.222620@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > Bart writes ...
> >
> >this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
> >the Netherlands
>
> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
> replacement, perhaps?
>

Another site but with more specs is http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
Just scroll through the early Spanish/Portugese bits and the specs appear in
English. There are some photos as well. The Dutch specs are confirmed here!

Gerrit - Oz
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:22:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au> wrote in message
news:42fb5f3e$0$32273$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>
> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1123768771.352387.222620@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> > Bart writes ...
>> >
>> >this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
>> >the Netherlands
>>
>> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
>> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
>> replacement, perhaps?
>>
>
> Another site but with more specs is
> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
> Just scroll through the early Spanish/Portugese bits and the specs appear
> in
> English. There are some photos as well. The Dutch specs are confirmed
> here!
>
> Gerrit - Oz

Two best items:
Full frame
Spot meter (finally!)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:33:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:p 7PKe.257$ct5.59@fed1read04...
>
> "Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au> wrote in message
> news:42fb5f3e$0$32273$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>>
>> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>> news:1123768771.352387.222620@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>> > Bart writes ...
>>> >
>>> >this is a reputable Pro-dealer for Canon (and other stuff) in
>>> >the Netherlands
>>>
>>> Can you tell from the site whether this rumoured new body is built on a
>>> 20D type body or on a 1D Mark II type body? Would make sense as a 20D
>>> replacement, perhaps?
>>>
>>
>> Another site but with more specs is
>> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>> Just scroll through the early Spanish/Portugese bits and the specs appear
>> in
>> English. There are some photos as well. The Dutch specs are confirmed
>> here!
>>
>> Gerrit - Oz
>
> Two best items:
> Full frame
> Spot meter (finally!)
>

That's what got my attention, but it says center spot, and has the
evaluative linked to the focus point. Odd, or just a mistake?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:40:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:EgQKe.266$ct5.68@fed1read04...
>
> <winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1123796454.387997.206690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> This would put it in the same price range as the 1D Mk II. It seems odd
>> that Canon would price it in the same range as one of their
>> 'professional' models. I understand of course the the full frame 1Ds is
>> $8k. But still....of course this is wishful thinking on my part. I am
>> hoping it might come in signficantly lower USD.
>
> If they are talking about the **list price** then it probably will be
> significantly lower.

Could be, but not by much. The 1D mk II was announced at $4500 according to
an old dpreview.com news article. IIRC, this model when released sold at
around $4200 for a long time before dropping to what it is now, about $3900.
Not a big drop, but it will by you a spare batt and memory card. :-)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:40:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
news:o tQKe.8767$p%3.36331@typhoon.sonic.net...
>
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> news:EgQKe.266$ct5.68@fed1read04...
>>
>> <winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1123796454.387997.206690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>> This would put it in the same price range as the 1D Mk II. It seems odd
>>> that Canon would price it in the same range as one of their
>>> 'professional' models. I understand of course the the full frame 1Ds is
>>> $8k. But still....of course this is wishful thinking on my part. I am
>>> hoping it might come in signficantly lower USD.
>>
>> If they are talking about the **list price** then it probably will be
>> significantly lower.
>
> Could be, but not by much. The 1D mk II was announced at $4500 according
> to an old dpreview.com news article. IIRC, this model when released sold
> at around $4200 for a long time before dropping to what it is now, about
> $3900. Not a big drop, but it will by you a spare batt and memory card.
> :-)

Perhaps...although they recently ran a $500 rebate, which put it down to
$3400.
It's true that the list prices of late haven't been quite as out of whack as
they used to be compared with street pricing.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:04:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d657717997384659897ec@news.verizon.net...
> In article <42fba7e9$0$11076$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
> bvdwolf@no.spam
> says...
>> The leak is more likely part of the advertizing campaign, creating
>> free publicity to hurt sales of the competitors, and a lot of free
>> publicity for Canon.
>>
>> Besides, the dealer doesn't disclose anything that's not out in the
>> open already, so they may well be taking part in the introduction
>> effort ...
>>
>> Bart
>
> Those sneaky Dutchmen...

It takes one to know one ... ;-)

Bart
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:14:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:KPQKe.267$ct5.130@fed1read04...
>
> "Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
> news:o tQKe.8767$p%3.36331@typhoon.sonic.net...
>>
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> news:EgQKe.266$ct5.68@fed1read04...
>>>
>>> <winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:1123796454.387997.206690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>>> This would put it in the same price range as the 1D Mk II. It seems odd
>>>> that Canon would price it in the same range as one of their
>>>> 'professional' models. I understand of course the the full frame 1Ds is
>>>> $8k. But still....of course this is wishful thinking on my part. I am
>>>> hoping it might come in signficantly lower USD.
>>>
>>> If they are talking about the **list price** then it probably will be
>>> significantly lower.
>>
>> Could be, but not by much. The 1D mk II was announced at $4500 according
>> to an old dpreview.com news article. IIRC, this model when released sold
>> at around $4200 for a long time before dropping to what it is now, about
>> $3900. Not a big drop, but it will by you a spare batt and memory card.
>> :-)
>
> Perhaps...although they recently ran a $500 rebate, which put it down to
> $3400.
> It's true that the list prices of late haven't been quite as out of whack
> as they used to be compared with street pricing.

In my days as a "pro" musician we used to pay no more than 50% of list for
anything, in places like Guitar Center in Hollywood and West LA Music. I
dunno if those stores till do that but the camera stores certainly don't!
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:27:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <c_PKe.8754$p%3.36370@typhoon.sonic.net>,
Dave R knows who <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:
>
>
>With the 350D and the 20D, it seems to me Canon has said from here on the
>xxD and xxxD (two-digit and three-digit models) will work with the EF-S
>lenses but not a single-digit model, which is why the 5D is named such,
>because it cannot receive an EF-S. And, a 1.3x will never carry a two-digit
>model number and hence will never be a replacement for the 20D.

5D also fits into Canon's numbering system, in that it would be a digital
EOS3, and the 3 is the camera that replaced the EOS 5. Calling it the 3D is
probably out because some bozo will think it takes 3D pictures.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:42:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96AF9CC6148C9ericvgillyahoocom@208.49.80.188...
> "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in news:42fba7e9$0$11076
> $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:
SNIP
>> Why do you think the Advertizing agency that 'leaked' the PDF
>> would risk losing business to all prospective customers that work
>> with a NDA?
>
> Advertising agency?
>
> What advertising agency uses Power Point for printable materials
> instead of a professional page layout package?

The author of the partially translated PDF that showed up on a
Romanian (?) web-site (http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf) works
for an Amsterdam based advertizing agency called Cayenne
Communications. They have amongst others been involved in the Pan
European 20D introduction.
(http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&m...).

Bart
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mark B." <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:q_CdnVo9eYRZmmHfRVn-2A@comcast.com...
> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> news:11fn4sijna8d0c0@news.supernews.com...
>>
>> It looks like the body is going to be in the $3000.00 range which
>> puts it considerably above the 20D buyer's market. I think it's
>> filling another niche as a consumer grade 1Ds..
>>
>> It's interesting that it has a full frame sensor.. The mass
>> production that will result in a less expensive camera with a full
>> frame sensor is bound to reduce the price of the full-frame. I
>> wonder if this is the writing on the wall for the 1.6 crop
>> sensor ?
>>
>
> Seriously doubt it. The 1.6 allows Canon to market a DSLR for under $1k,
> they wouldn't want to lose that.

But...they are already well below 1k with 1.6 sensors.
Their cost will continue to decline, so at some point in the near future,
they could certainly get a 1.3 into a below $1k body IMO. OTOH, they may
take into account that some people actually prefer the 1.6 factor for tele,
and keep it for that market (and those who don't mind paying more for EF-S).
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:19:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1123809041.392462.78800@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> >Mark wrote ...
>>
>> although they recently ran a $500 rebate, which put it down to
>> $3400 (for the 1D Mark II)
>
> I interpreted that move as either a sign there will be a replacement
> model announced in Sept (which would fit the 18 month upgrade cycle)
> and they are moving out existing inventory

Except that the rebate has expired, and wasn't replaced with new expire
date, as is often done with Canon rebates...and...there's tons of in-stock
Mark IIs still out there.
So...???

>*or* Nikon's D2x is proving
> to be such a worthy competitor (about $5,000 but a lot more megapixels,
> with a high speed option using fewer mpix) that Canon felt they had to
> lower the price a bit and could do so and still make good profit.

I think that makes more sense, since the rebate was there when people were
hottest on the Nikon D2x shiny new bandwagon.

> Or both of the above :) 

I really think Nikon had a great idea with the dual-fps feature.
I haven't talked to anyone who owns one to see what they think of the
middle-portion of the viewfinder deal... I would think that a bit
odd....but I still like the high fps/lower res option from the same body.I
hope Canon manages it before long.
It seems like there would be a way to optically enlarge the center portion
of the viewfinder while in high fps mode, but perhaps that's a bigger trick
than it seems. I can imagine it would take some serious optical magic...
!