trying to isolate startup problems

This is an excerpt from the file ntbtlog.txt showing the drivers not loaded.
How can I figure how to eliminate these specific problem areas. Once every
two or three days, I get the screen at bootup saying Windows faile to load
normally, and I get to choose between using the "last known good
configuration" or a normal windows load. Its a black screen with white text
etc. I figured out how to find the bootlog file ntbtlog.txt, but now that I
see the offending drivers, I don't know what they are to know what to do to
keep them from being a problem.

Here are the offending lines:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mrtRate.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
18 answers Last reply
More about trying isolate startup problems

    You're looking in the wrong place.

    It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if the
    hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need the
    driver.

    Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular order,
    power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components either.

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > This is an excerpt from the file ntbtlog.txt showing the drivers not
    > loaded. How can I figure how to eliminate these specific problem areas.
    > Once every two or three days, I get the screen at bootup saying Windows
    > faile to load normally, and I get to choose between using the "last known
    > good configuration" or a normal windows load. Its a black screen with
    > white text etc. I figured out how to find the bootlog file ntbtlog.txt,
    > but now that I see the offending drivers, I don't know what they are to
    > know what to do to keep them from being a problem.
    >
    > Here are the offending lines:
    >
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mrtRate.SYS
    > Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys

    None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    experimented now for a month almost.

    I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts using
    msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again, this
    happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after it gets
    into Windows.

    I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.

    Any other ideas?

    Bruce
    "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    > You're looking in the wrong place.
    >
    > It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if the
    > hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need the
    > driver.
    >
    > Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    > order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    > either.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >> This is an excerpt from the file ntbtlog.txt showing the drivers not
    >> loaded. How can I figure how to eliminate these specific problem areas.
    >> Once every two or three days, I get the screen at bootup saying Windows
    >> faile to load normally, and I get to choose between using the "last known
    >> good configuration" or a normal windows load. Its a black screen with
    >> white text etc. I figured out how to find the bootlog file ntbtlog.txt,
    >> but now that I see the offending drivers, I don't know what they are to
    >> know what to do to keep them from being a problem.
    >>
    >> Here are the offending lines:
    >>
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mrtRate.SYS
    >> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys

    To clarify what David said, the real error messages are what counts. You're
    focusing on and reading too much into normal messages. Check eventvwr.msc.

    Start here http://www.memtest86.com/ and let this puppy check do a heavy
    test of your memory.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    > None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    > that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    > experimented now for a month almost.
    >
    > I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    > using msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again,
    > this happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after
    > it gets into Windows.
    >
    > I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Bruce
    > "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    >> You're looking in the wrong place.
    >>
    >> It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if
    >> the hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need
    >> the driver.
    >>
    >> Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    >> order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    >> either.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >>> This is an excerpt from the file ntbtlog.txt showing the drivers not
    >>> loaded. How can I figure how to eliminate these specific problem areas.
    >>> Once every two or three days, I get the screen at bootup saying Windows
    >>> faile to load normally, and I get to choose between using the "last
    >>> known good configuration" or a normal windows load. Its a black screen
    >>> with white text etc. I figured out how to find the bootlog file
    >>> ntbtlog.txt, but now that I see the offending drivers, I don't know what
    >>> they are to know what to do to keep them from being a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the offending lines:
    >>>
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mrtRate.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys

    Are you saying you think I have a hardware problem with my memory when you
    want me to run this test?

    > To clarify what David said, the real error messages are what counts.
    > You're focusing on and reading too much into normal messages. Check
    > eventvwr.msc.
    >
    > Start here http://www.memtest86.com/ and let this puppy check do a heavy
    > test of your memory.
    >

    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    >> that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    >> experimented now for a month almost.
    >>
    >> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >> using msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again,
    >> this happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after
    >> it gets into Windows.
    >>
    >> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Bruce
    >> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    >>> You're looking in the wrong place.
    >>>
    >>> It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if
    >>> the hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need
    >>> the driver.
    >>>
    >>> Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    >>> order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Walter Clayton
    >>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>>

    >>> "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message

    The error messages. Nothing else matters but the error messages. Event Viewer should have the Stop error involved.

    "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message news:PG4_d.39215$3z.24464@okepread03...
    > None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    > that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    > experimented now for a month almost.
    >
    > I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts using
    > msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again, this
    > happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after it gets
    > into Windows.
    >
    > I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Bruce
    > "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    >> You're looking in the wrong place.
    >>
    >> It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if the
    >> hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need the
    >> driver.
    >>
    >> Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    >> order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    >> either.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >>> This is an excerpt from the file ntbtlog.txt showing the drivers not
    >>> loaded. How can I figure how to eliminate these specific problem areas.
    >>> Once every two or three days, I get the screen at bootup saying Windows
    >>> faile to load normally, and I get to choose between using the "last known
    >>> good configuration" or a normal windows load. Its a black screen with
    >>> white text etc. I figured out how to find the bootlog file ntbtlog.txt,
    >>> but now that I see the offending drivers, I don't know what they are to
    >>> know what to do to keep them from being a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the offending lines:
    >>>
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mrtRate.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys

    Thanks David, I may have isolated the problem, by seeing the message that a
    service called mrtrate service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified. Then, I went out and did a search
    for this condition; it was apparently related to Quicken 2004 Deluxe which
    I've been running for some time. There was a fix to change a value in the
    registry for it after backing it up which I did. Then, I rebooted and the
    error did not reoccur.

    What gets me is the erratic behavior of this error. If this is the real
    culprit, then sometimes the system booted into windows fine the first time,
    and other times, it stopped with the sorry message, and its various options
    for continuing. I've been screwing with MSconfig options now probably for a
    month, with still this intermittent situation.

    I probably won't know for three or four days for sure if this was the fix or
    not. I sure hope so after all this effort.

    Thanks again,

    Bruce

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]

    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mrtRate.SYS
    >>> Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys

    Just get the error message from event viewer if you have to post back. Windows will tell you what is erroring. Programs in MSConfig can't cause Stop errors, at least not directly, though they may use a function that triggers the stop error. Services can cause Stop errors.

    For speed reasons windows can't catch the full details of every error, but it has modes it can switch to where it can (but it trades off speed).

    From Help
    We need error messages in full. If Write an event to the system log is on then look in Event Viewer (type it in help). Most people have it display the screen and write (you know a pen) down the message. See if they are all the same number and details.
    If Write an event to the system log is on then look in Event Viewer (type it in help).

    From Help

    To specify what Windows does if the system stops unexpectedly.

    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

    1.. Open System in Control Panel.
    2.. On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
    3.. Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:
    a.. Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.
    b.. Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.
    c.. Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.
    4.. Under Write Debugging Information, choose the type of information you want Windows to record when the system stops unexpectedly:
    a.. Small Memory Dump records the smallest amount of information that will help identify the problem. This option requires a paging file of at least 2 MB on the boot volume of your computer and specifies that Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly. A history of these files is stored in the directory listed under Small Dump Directory.
    b.. Kernel Memory Dump records only kernel memory, which speeds up the process of recording information in a log when the system stops unexpectedly. Depending on the amount of RAM in your computer, you must have 50 MB to 800 MB available for the paging file on the boot volume. The file is stored in the directory listed under Dump File.
    c.. Complete Memory Dump records the entire contents of system memory when the system stops unexpectedly. If you choose this option you must have a paging file on the boot volume large enough to hold all of the physical RAM plus one megabyte (MB). The file is stored in the directory listed under Dump File.
    Notes

    a.. To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    b.. You must have at least a 2-MB paging file on the computer's boot volume if you select Write an event to the system log or Send an administrative alert.
    c.. If you choose either Kernel Memory Dump or Complete Memory Dump and select the Overwrite any existing file check box, Windows always writes to the same file name. To save individual dump files, clear the Overwrite any existing file check box and change the file name after each Stop error.
    d.. You can save some memory if you clear the Write an event to the system log and Send an administrative alert check boxes. The memory saved depends on the computer, but typically about 60 KB to 70 KB are required by these features.
    e.. If you contact Microsoft Product Support Services about a Stop error, they might ask for the system-memory dump file generated by the Write Debugging Information option.
    Related Topics

    We want either the error message, AND if that doesn't have enough info, a minidump file. And if that doesn't have enough info we switch into a driver debugging mode, and then do the above again. Type verifier in Start Run and follow the wizard. This will do two things.

    1. Be very strict with drivers and generate a stop error whenever a driver misbehaves.
    2. Some drivers are written to be buggy and fast so they can win magazine benchmark competitions. If verifier is turned on they may become well behaved and slower. That is some drivers have two drivers in the file, one for magazines and users and one for MS testing - what happens depend on how the driver decides it's at an MS test lab (who only care about crashes) or on a magazine/user's machine.

    "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:te7_d.39226$3z.9722@okepread03...
    > Thanks David, I may have isolated the problem, by seeing the message that a
    > service called mrtrate service failed to start due to the following error:
    > The system cannot find the file specified. Then, I went out and did a search
    > for this condition; it was apparently related to Quicken 2004 Deluxe which
    > I've been running for some time. There was a fix to change a value in the
    > registry for it after backing it up which I did. Then, I rebooted and the
    > error did not reoccur.
    >
    > What gets me is the erratic behavior of this error. If this is the real
    > culprit, then sometimes the system booted into windows fine the first time,
    > and other times, it stopped with the sorry message, and its various options
    > for continuing. I've been screwing with MSconfig options now probably for a
    > month, with still this intermittent situation.
    >
    > I probably won't know for three or four days for sure if this was the fix or
    > not. I sure hope so after all this effort.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >

    > Bruce
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > The error messages. Nothing else matters but the error messages. Event
    > Viewer should have the Stop error involved.

    > "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    >> that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    >> experimented now for a month almost.
    >>
    >> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >> using
    >> msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again, this
    >> happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after it
    >> gets
    >> into Windows.
    >>
    >> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Bruce
    >> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    >>> You're looking in the wrong place.
    >>>
    >>> It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if
    >>> the
    >>> hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need the
    >>> driver.
    >>>
    >>> Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    >>> order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Walter Clayton
    >>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>>

    >>> "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message

    David:

    I did all that and it says something about a small memory dump, and the
    location being :%SystemRoot%\Minidump. I didn't find such a file in the
    search. But for now, I'm not doing anything else with that until I see if I
    have fixed the problem already.

    I did see one other consistent error that happens independently of the
    bootup process. The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not
    register with DCOM within the required timeout. I traced this on the to the
    program "c:\programs\messenger\msmsgs.exe" on the above server by
    1.. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
    HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
    The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
    2.. In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is
    displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
    Ok, so what is wrong with windows messenger, because I don't even use that
    and I don't see it listed in the processes and I don't have it start when
    Windows starts. So why the heck does it have an error like that that is
    separate from bootup if it shouldn't be on unless I open the program myself?

    I don't think that pertains to the bootup problem I mentioned, but at least
    while I'm learning I'd like to see why this error occured.

    Thanks,

    Just get the error message from event viewer if you have to post back.
    Windows will tell you what is erroring. Programs in MSConfig can't cause
    Stop errors, at least not directly, though they may use a function that
    triggers the stop error. Services can cause Stop errors.

    For speed reasons windows can't catch the full details of every error, but
    it has modes it can switch to where it can (but it trades off speed).

    From Help
    We need error messages in full. If Write an event to the system log is on
    then look in Event Viewer (type it in help). Most people have it display the
    screen and write (you know a pen) down the message. See if they are all the
    same number and details.
    If Write an event to the system log is on then look in Event Viewer (type it
    in help).

    From Help

> [...]

    >> gets
    >> into Windows.
    >>
    >> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Bruce
    >> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    >>> You're looking in the wrong place.
    >>>
    >>> It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if
    >>> the
    >>> hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need the
    >>> driver.
    >>>
    >>> Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    >>> order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Walter Clayton
    >>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

    Ran your memtest86 thing and that was just a waste of 2 hours. All that
    "puppy" does is bark at my big dog (Sony Vaio). And it passed 9 times with
    no errors. Finally I said enough is enough and pressed esc to end the
    nonsense.

    Bruce
    "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
    > To clarify what David said, the real error messages are what counts.
    > You're focusing on and reading too much into normal messages. Check
    > eventvwr.msc.
    >
    > Start here http://www.memtest86.com/ and let this puppy check do a heavy
    > test of your memory.
    >

    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    >> that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    >> experimented now for a month almost.
    >>
    >> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >> using msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again,
    >> this happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after
    >> it gets into Windows.
    >>
    >> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Bruce
    >> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    >>> You're looking in the wrong place.
    >>>
    >>> It's perfectly normal for the system to decide not to load a driver if
    >>> the hardware doesn't need the driver or some other function doesn't need
    >>> the driver.
    >>>
    >>> Look to your hardware first. Suspect, although not in any particular
    >>> order, power supply, memory, processor; don't rule out other components
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Walter Clayton
    >>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>>

    >>> "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In the absence of any intelligent response from you he is having a guess. It's a good enough enough guess.

    "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:ETe_d.39241$3z.1938@okepread03...
    > Are you saying you think I have a hardware problem with my memory when you
    > want me to run this test?
    >

    > "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
    >> To clarify what David said, the real error messages are what counts.
    >> You're focusing on and reading too much into normal messages. Check
    >> eventvwr.msc.
    >>
    >> Start here http://www.memtest86.com/ and let this puppy check do a heavy
    >> test of your memory.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>

    >> "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    >>> that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    >>> experimented now for a month almost.
    >>>
    >>> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >>> using msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again,
    >>> this happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after
    >>> it gets into Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Bruce
    >>> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Possibly because you don't use MS Messenger. Errors aren't errors.

    %SystemRoot%\Minidump = c:\windows\minidump

    "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:89f_d.39243$3z.8594@okepread03...
> [...]
    >>

    >> Bruce
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> The error messages. Nothing else matters but the error messages. Event
    >> Viewer should have the Stop error involved.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just gives
    >>> that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    >>> experimented now for a month almost.
    >>>
    >>> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >>> using
    >>> msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again, this
    >>> happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after it
    >>> gets
    >>> into Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    There is not file or folder anywhere with the name minidump so maybe that
    file goes away if you have a successful bootup? I don't know.

    Also, you're saying "Errors aren't errors". I thought that was what I was
    looking for in Event Viewer?

> [...]

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> The error messages. Nothing else matters but the error messages. Event
    >> Viewer should have the Stop error involved.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just
    >>> gives
    >>> that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I have
    >>> experimented now for a month almost.
    >>>
    >>> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >>> using
    >>> msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts. Again, this
    >>> happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves fine after it
    >>> gets
    >>> into Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ok, Errors aren't errors you should care about.

    Type minidump in Start Run. If nothing set your options to create one.

    "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:w_f_d.39246$3z.17536@okepread03...
> [...]
    >>> error did not reoccur.
    >>>
    >>> What gets me is the erratic behavior of this error. If this is the real
    >>> culprit, then sometimes the system booted into windows fine the first
    >>> time,
    >>> and other times, it stopped with the sorry message, and its various
    >>> options
    >>> for continuing. I've been screwing with MSconfig options now probably for
    >>> month, with still this intermittent situation.
    >>>
    >>> I probably won't know for three or four days for sure if this was the fix
    >>> or
    >>> not. I sure hope so after all this effort.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again,
    >>>

    >>> Bruce
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> The error messages. Nothing else matters but the error messages. Event
    >>> Viewer should have the Stop error involved.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Now, run HD diagnostics.

    As David said, there's a dearth of information and it's guessing time. You
    do keep focusing on normal, ordinary events that are totally harmless.

    I can think of a slew of reasons why you're having the problems you are and
    they traverse everything from hardware to software to firmware to
    application intermix, to thermal issues, to power fluctuations

    There's also a $10-$15US device that you can plug into the power supply to
    check it out. I carry one with me on site. However you don't have one. And I
    did have a client call me in with similar symptoms and his power supply did
    fail a simple, quick test using said device.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    > Ran your memtest86 thing and that was just a waste of 2 hours. All that
    > "puppy" does is bark at my big dog (Sony Vaio). And it passed 9 times with
    > no errors. Finally I said enough is enough and pressed esc to end the
    > nonsense.
    >
    > Bruce
    > "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
    >> To clarify what David said, the real error messages are what counts.
    >> You're focusing on and reading too much into normal messages. Check
    >> eventvwr.msc.
    >>
    >> Start here http://www.memtest86.com/ and let this puppy check do a heavy
    >> test of your memory.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>

    >> "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> None of the hardware components are malfunctioning at all.. It just
    >>> gives that stupid screen at bootup on a random, not continuous basis. I
    >>> have experimented now for a month almost.
    >>>
    >>> I have gone into the device manager and checked for hardware conflicts
    >>> using msinfo32 or whatever that is. It did not show any conflicts.
    >>> Again, this happens randomly at bootup, and then the computer behaves
    >>> fine after it gets into Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I would just like to figure out an approach to solve the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Bruce
    >>> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    What do you think this idea that just popped into my mind?

    If its a power problem, do you think the surge protector power outlet I use
    could be messed up, and cause problems booting up due to not enough juice
    flowing through it. And then once its up its fine. I know HP told me to take
    the printer out of the surge protector that it needed a dedicated source.

    I'm still having the reboot after the initial windows logo comes on but it
    before it goes to a signon screen, then it beeps as if restarting, and goes
    to this screen I've told about that is like you turn off a machine before it
    shuts down. It offers to start windows normally, and once you select that,
    it does start normally.

    > Now, run HD diagnostics.
    >
    > As David said, there's a dearth of information and it's guessing time. You
    > do keep focusing on normal, ordinary events that are totally harmless.
    >
    > I can think of a slew of reasons why you're having the problems you are
    > and they traverse everything from hardware to software to firmware to
    > application intermix, to thermal issues, to power fluctuations
    >
    > There's also a $10-$15US device that you can plug into the power supply to
    > check it out. I carry one with me on site. However you don't have one. And
    > I did have a client call me in with similar symptoms and his power supply
    > did fail a simple, quick test using said device.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >> Ran your memtest86 thing and that was just a waste of 2 hours. All that
    >> "puppy" does is bark at my big dog (Sony Vaio). And it passed 9 times
    >> with no errors. Finally I said enough is enough and pressed esc to end
    >> the nonsense.
    >>
    >> Bruce
    >> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
    >>> To clarify what David said, the real error messages are what counts.
    >>> You're focusing on and reading too much into normal messages. Check
    >>> eventvwr.msc.
    >>>
    >>> Start here http://www.memtest86.com/ and let this puppy check do a heavy
    >>> test of your memory.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Walter Clayton
    >>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>>

    >>> "Bruce Roberson" <bruceroberson@cox.net> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    First the surge protector power strip (if properly
    constructed) is electrically equivalent to a $3 power strip
    without the $0.10 parts inside. Furthermore, it is better
    that all interconnected equipment share a common safety
    ground.

    Second, if startup power is a problem, another likely
    suspect is how wall receptacles are wired. Too many just push
    that wire in a rear stab lock hole rather than wrap the wire
    fully around a tightened screw. Wire must remain connected
    with screw loose. Then screw further tightens the
    connection. That rear 'stab lock' wiring is sufficient for
    lights but is problematic to electronics. Best to follow that
    circuit through all wall receptacles back to the breaker box.
    Visually confirm every connection is tight. One need not
    remove the receptacle. Simply remove the cover plate to
    confirm wire uses the screw connector; does not connect behind
    receptacle in that 'stab lock' hole.

    Third, appreciate what a power supply does. 120 VAC
    electric must drop so low than incandescent lamps glow at only
    40% intensity - and power supply must still provide every
    voltage well in spec. This was required even of power
    supplies 30 years ago. One need only see how many AC and DC
    voltage conversions occur inside the power supply to
    understand why low voltage or spikes do not pass through a
    supply. Either the supply provides 100% voltage or computer
    shuts down. If supply is properly constructed, then there is
    no partial power up.

    Is your power supply functioning properly? Asian
    manufacturers have discovered an extremely profitable market
    selling supply to computer assemblers. Supplies that are
    missing essential functions to sell at less than $60 full
    retail.

    Fourth, if power supply is missing essential functions or
    has other unique problems, well, this is why knowledgeable
    computer people use their 3.5 digit multimeter. In your case,
    the most critical voltages are on the red, orange, yellow, and
    gray 'power supply to motherboard' wires during power up.
    Those voltages must rise up in less than 2 seconds and remain
    fully in the upper 3/4 of limits provide by a chart in: "I
    think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5 Feb
    2004 at
    http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

    Marginal voltages any time after the first two seconds will
    cause all kinds of strange and seemingly inconsistent
    intermittent problems. Without numbers, no one can provide a
    useful answer. Meters are so ubiquitous as to be sold even in
    Home Depot, Radio Shack, Sears, and Lowes for only $20.

    Bruce Roberson wrote:
    > What do you think this idea that just popped into my mind?
    >
    > If its a power problem, do you think the surge protector power
    > outlet I use could be messed up, and cause problems booting up
    > due to not enough juice flowing through it. And then once its
    > up its fine. I know HP told me to take the printer out of the
    > surge protector that it needed a dedicated source.
    >
    > I'm still having the reboot after the initial windows logo comes
    > on but it before it goes to a signon screen, then it beeps as if
    > restarting, and goes to this screen I've told about that is like
    > you turn off a machine before it shuts down. It offers to start
    > windows normally, and once you select that, it does start
    > normally.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > Is your power supply functioning properly?
    I guess from what you're saying it can't be the power supply. Because the
    computer never shuts down once it boots into Windows. The only problem come
    about every 3 to 5 cold boots. This morning though I watched it and I could
    of predicted it would have a problem.I think what you're saying is that a
    power supply either boots up or it doesn't meaning there would be no power
    if it weren't working. Right?

    What I saw was that there was a like a noticeable delay from the time I
    pushed the switch on the computer to the type the little power up beep first
    showed up. Then, the Windows XP logo starts, and then the beep comes again
    that occurred when it was first powered on denoting a second power up
    attempt.
    Then the Windows XP logo again, and this time, then comes the black screen
    saying that I could either

    "Start Windows Normally" which I always choose, or go in with safe mode, or
    with last known configuration.

    The short of it is that is the type of screen you always get if you turn the
    power off without properly shutting down Windows.

    So, I'm tempted to first go buy a new surge protector since this one I use
    now has probably been around a while. And then if it still messes up
    occasionally, I will have to consider the possibility that a Sony Vaio
    (which I thought Sony anything was as close to perfection in machinery as it
    gets) actually has a power supply problem. This was after all a refurbished
    machine I bought off of Ebay, but it didn't start having these problems
    until nearly a year after I got it.

    Thanks,

    Bruce
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I am saying it could be the power supply AND that a decisive
    answer is obtained in only two minutes (point 4). Either a
    power works all the time, it never works, OR it exists in an
    'in between' mode where sometimes it works and other times it
    does not depending (maybe) even on minor room temperature
    changes or (maybe) voltage variation on AC mains. Point is to
    eliminate the unknown power supply from a list of suspects -
    quickly. Unstable power supply can create all type of strange
    intermittent problems. If power supply is unstable, then
    numbers on that multimeter will go 'out of spec' as the
    computer fails. Numbers then make the real problem obvious.

    But another suspect (point 2) can also be verified in
    minutes. The suspects (in point 1 and 3) typically don't
    exist - sometimes only symptoms of another real problem -
    often cited by myths as problems because (for example) he does
    not even know what is inside a typical power strip protector.

    BTW, also review important historical information - error
    messages with important error numbers - is stored in the
    system (event) log. This being a new point #5. Use Microsoft
    Windows help, if necessary, to find and learn what the log
    reports. Also Device Manager has been checked for hardware
    problems.

    Posted were only the first and simplest 'suspects' to
    verify. There are many more suspects. But your previous
    advisers suspected power problems. If true, then points 1
    thru 4 in that previous post were what to and not to suspect
    as that power problem.

    Bruce Roberson wrote:
    >> Is your power supply functioning properly?
    > I guess from what you're saying it can't be the power supply. Because the
    > computer never shuts down once it boots into Windows. The only problem come
    > about every 3 to 5 cold boots. This morning though I watched it and I could
    > of predicted it would have a problem.I think what you're saying is that a
    > power supply either boots up or it doesn't meaning there would be no power
    > if it weren't working. Right?
    >
    > What I saw was that there was a like a noticeable delay from the time I
    > pushed the switch on the computer to the type the little power up beep first
    > showed up. Then, the Windows XP logo starts, and then the beep comes again
    > that occurred when it was first powered on denoting a second power up
    > attempt.
    > Then the Windows XP logo again, and this time, then comes the black screen
    > saying that I could either
    >
    > "Start Windows Normally" which I always choose, or go in with safe mode, or
    > with last known configuration.
    >
    > The short of it is that is the type of screen you always get if you turn the
    > power off without properly shutting down Windows.
    >
    > So, I'm tempted to first go buy a new surge protector since this one I use
    > now has probably been around a while. And then if it still messes up
    > occasionally, I will have to consider the possibility that a Sony Vaio
    > (which I thought Sony anything was as close to perfection in machinery as it
    > gets) actually has a power supply problem. This was after all a refurbished
    > machine I bought off of Ebay, but it didn't start having these problems
    > until nearly a year after I got it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bruce

Configuration Drivers System32 Windows XP