Sign in with
Your question

Want something better than my Asus G73S

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2012 11:39:21 AM

Hello guys and girls !

A friend refered me to this forum so here I am ! And thanks for your time already :) 

So ive got a Asus G73S Right now as a laptop. I want to buy a desktop computer for gaming. so heres my first question.

my G73S has a Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM and a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM and 8GB od ram. No SSD. 7200 rpm HDD.

If im buyin a new desktop, i want something better than my G73S, and im wondering will it really make a huge difference ? Or am i bein stupid about thinking to change and should wait ?

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: the sooner the better

Budget Range: Around $1250

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: New computer..

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:newegg.com, ncix.com anything else is welcome from you guys too..

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU , Nvidia videocard but still open to anything if you guys says something else is better

Overclocking: maybe depends on what you guys think..

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe depends on what you guys think..

Your Monitor Resolution: 1176x664. playing on my 32" HD tv.. weird resolution but its the only one that feats perfect.

Additional Comments: Thanks so much for your time guys.. And friends of mine are sayin that i5 are better than i7 for gaming ? I wanted an i7 but im kinda lost right now.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Love to have a desktop PC i guess.. and well want something more power full

Going to play every game.. BF 3, Guild wars 2. etc etc

Thanks a lot

Patrick

More about : asus g73s

July 9, 2012 5:13:12 PM

Quote:
Additional Comments: Thanks so much for your time guys.. And friends of mine are sayin that i5 are better than i7 for gaming ? I wanted an i7 but im kinda lost right now.

That is correct - games will never take advantage of the hyperthreading technologies offered by the i7, you're better off putting that money in a good, solid GPU.

Quote:
If im buyin a new desktop, i want something better than my G73S, and im wondering will it really make a huge difference ? Or am i bein stupid about thinking to change and should wait ?

The mobile GPUs are in no way shape or form anywhere near as good as their desktop counterparts, same with the CPUs. I can definitely understand wanting something better. I have my desktop for games and laptop for everything else.

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.88 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($69.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.79 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($105.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Total: $1258.51
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
l
July 9, 2012 6:28:20 PM

Thanks :)  One question tought, shouldnt i put a SSD in that computer ?
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2012 6:38:36 PM

Asmek said:
Thanks :)  One question tought, shouldnt i put a SSD in that computer ?

It's not always required - it's definitely a good idea but I wouldn't cut back on the GPU or anything else to get one - you can always add one in once you get your build up and running.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:01:29 PM

SO this one is the best i can get for my bucks right ?

Any other suggestions you can give on anything ?

And thanks a lot for your time ! Serieusly..

Am i goin to see a huge difference from my G73S ?

And i know theres a lot of tutorail to build the comp, Ive never done it before is it that easy ? Also that thermical thing i have to put on the CPU is stressing me out lol

Wanted to like, Get everything on the website and pays to assemble it and that they do they re testing on it and everything...
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:12:14 PM

If you want a SSD it's possible. A GTX670 isn't really required at the moment to max a 1080p screen - HD7870 will do that easily.

Yeah, it's going to be a totally different experience to your laptop.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:18:55 PM

But should i get the GTX670 ? Like is it really worth it ? Because i dont mind throwin an extra $100
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:20:58 PM

As I said it's kind of superfluous for a single full HD screen IMO.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:23:28 PM

FinneousPJ said:
As I said it's kind of superfluous for a single full HD screen IMO.

Yeah but I'm always a firm believer in getting the best GPU you can get for the money, the 670 is also one of the most energy efficient GPUs on the market.

Quote:
SO this one is the best i can get for my bucks right ?

Any other suggestions you can give on anything ?

Yeah I always try to get the best components you can get for any price range.
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:18:25 PM

Thanks so much g-unit

Which SSD should i get ? Which one u guys trust ?
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:20:26 PM

Also with this CPU and motherboard, is ti the model that you can overclock ur CPU Safely with the new Intel technology ? I saw a video of that on Newegg a couple months ago?
m
l
July 9, 2012 10:44:25 PM

Asmek said:
Thanks so much g-unit

Which SSD should i get ? Which one u guys trust ?

The Marvell drives are definitely the best - the Crucial M4, Samsung 830, and Plextor PX-M3 are the ones you should look at. I don't recommend Sandforce drives usually due to their instability. Alternately look at the OCZ Vertex 4 which uses a new controller called Indilinx that's a good balance between the M4's stability and Sandforce's speed.
m
l
!