Sign in with
Your question

Is my C2D E8400 BottleNecking my HD6970

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2012 8:56:14 AM

Hi there. I'm looking for some advice please.

I built my current rig about 3 years ago and 12 months ago decided to upgrade the power supply, case and GPU.

System spec is -

Abit IP35 Mobo,
Intel C2D E8400
4GB DDR2 Memory
Radeon HD6970

Now the problem is that since upgrading the GPU, I keep having problems with BSOD. I gave up trying to game on it shortly after building it because it seems the computer cant handle it but now even viewing some graphic hungry web pages are causing it to crash.

It is because the GPU is too much for the CPU? Should I be OC or should I change the CPU?

I'm not really ready to spend hundreds yet on i7, new mobo, ram etc so have been looking at quad core 2. Any advice would be a massive help.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 9:05:29 AM

1. Bottlenecking should never ever cause BSOD. I would say it's either the mobo (flash it to latest version) or GPU driver problems (Try latest or previous drivers see if it makes a difference)

Bottlenecking might cause lower framerates and limitations but never BSOD. I would say that CPU is weak for the GPU but you shouldn't suffer too much bottlenecking. Maybe you should soon consider upgrading to an i5 at some point if you're not interested in AMD builds. Theres only a certain distance that CPU will be able to carry you.

If possible, OC your CPU for the time being, keeping in mind the temps are steady and within reason.
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 9:07:38 AM

Also could be possible that your temps are high and the computer is Blue Screening to protect itself from burning out. Check temps regularly when CPU is idle and on load.
Related resources
November 19, 2012 9:34:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have an Areocool Touch 2000 monitor on the front of my tower so I know temps are all good.

I previously had problems with AMD site for driver on card so ou coud be right about that being the problem. I have just tried it again and it seems to worked so maybe that will solve the BSOD problem.

Power supply is a Corsair 1000w.

So lets assume I have one problem solved. It is worth OC the E8400 or would you suggest a Quad core? I know the ideal answer is to scrap the lot and upgrade but for now?
November 19, 2012 9:42:37 AM

Couldn't it be the old PCI-E 2.1 card in a PCI-E 1.0 mobo causing problems?

In general, without a BIOS update, 2.1 GPUs like the 6970 won't work in a PCI-E 1.0 motherboard.

Given Abit going bust I doubt there is a bios update available.
November 19, 2012 9:57:34 AM

SteveH3671 said:
Couldn't it be the old PCI-E 2.1 card in a PCI-E 1.0 mobo causing problems?

In general, without a BIOS update, 2.1 GPUs like the 6970 won't work in a PCI-E 1.0 motherboard.

Given Abit going bust I doubt there is a bios update available.

Just looked on what is left of Abit support - Managed to download Bios version m630a18 dated 30/05/2008. I'll check later what i've currently got and see if it needs doing.
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 10:16:44 AM

murph77 said:
Thanks for the replies. I have an Areocool Touch 2000 monitor on the front of my tower so I know temps are all good.

I previously had problems with AMD site for driver on card so ou coud be right about that being the problem. I have just tried it again and it seems to worked so maybe that will solve the BSOD problem.

Power supply is a Corsair 1000w.

So lets assume I have one problem solved. It is worth OC the E8400 or would you suggest a Quad core? I know the ideal answer is to scrap the lot and upgrade but for now?

I don't know too much about Intel CPUs but I know the C2Ds are pretty outdated as are the C2Q as well. I would definitely go for a decent leap (being 3rd generation i3 or i5 as they have quite a massive performance increase from the old C2Qs. So in the meantime I'd say just OC as much as you can till you can afford a decent build to carry that card.

Least you wont have to change your PSU, Infact you could add another 6970 and it still wouldn't even come close to using 1000w

Unless you don't plan on playing latest games and don't mind playing games before 2009-2010, I'd say upgrade.

Mobo might not even be able to support that card and somebody above said.
November 19, 2012 10:58:13 AM

murph77 said:
Just looked on what is left of Abit support - Managed to download Bios version m630a18 dated 30/05/2008. I'll check later what i've currently got and see if it needs doing.

Good luck, I hope it includes 2.1 support. To reassure you, I am running a 2.1 6850 in an old PCI-E 1.0 mobo, works fine with the BIOS update.

Off topic but damn shame about Abit, I thought they made great mobos.
November 19, 2012 11:04:34 AM

SteveH3671 said:
Good luck, I hope it includes 2.1 support. To reassure you, I am running a 2.1 6850 in an old PCI-E 1.0 mobo, works fine with the BIOS update.

Off topic but damn shame about Abit, I thought they made great mobos.

Very true, always been a big fan of Abit, this was my 3rd board. Was gutted about 8 months ago when I reformatted my PC and went looking for Win 7 drivers and realised they'd gone! Part of the reason I haven't upgraded to 3rd Gen yet. Don't know which board to buy. I used to build a lot of low end spec pc's so have had a lot of trouble with some manufacturers board which has put me off buying an expensive one from them.
November 19, 2012 11:44:41 AM

Have just OC'd to 3.5 from 3.0 Ghz. All seems stable so will give it a go. Thanks for the advice!
!