Mobo LED light not on, no signal on monitor

alcatas

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hi guys,

So unfortunately, after assembling my desktop to the best of my ability, there seems to be a problem :(

My build:

Case: Rosewill Thor v2
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670
PSU: Corsair TX750
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
RAM: Crucial Tactical Tracer (2 x 4) 8 GB
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4
Processor Fan: Hyper 212 +
DVD: Asus 24x DRW

So I installed the PSU, RAM, CPU, Mobo and GPU + plugged in all the headers to the best of my ability. Hit the power button, lights came on and everything but no signal on monitor.

I tried taking out the RAM, but I heard no beeps (don't think the case has system speakers). Would plugging in my headphones into the green mobo jack work?

In any case, the Chassis, GPU, and CPU fans are all running. I have LEDs on my RAM, and those light up too. The HDD is spinning (did not install SSD yet) and the Optical drive opens and closes. I have not installed the OS yet.

I noticed that the Mobo LED is dead, which leads me to believe the mobo might be broken? Tried hitting the power and reset button on the mobo a few times (with everything else powered off) and the LED never came on.

The thing that confuses me is that the RAM is plugged into the mobo and still gets power...(LEDs light up)

Does anyone know what I can do? Or should I just RMA the board...

Sad times for a first time builder :cry: Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

Solution
First try taking out your video card and using the ondie graphics - hook it to one of the video connectors on the motherboard and let the graphics in the cpu run them to see it you get to bios.

If that don't work follow the link under my sig and go thru step by step and see if you find the problem. Those steps are generally what advice you're going to get to start with anyway and this way they are all together for you.

SORRY, looks like my sig disappeared here's the link - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

suteck

Distinguished
First try taking out your video card and using the ondie graphics - hook it to one of the video connectors on the motherboard and let the graphics in the cpu run them to see it you get to bios.

If that don't work follow the link under my sig and go thru step by step and see if you find the problem. Those steps are generally what advice you're going to get to start with anyway and this way they are all together for you.

SORRY, looks like my sig disappeared here's the link - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Solution

alcatas

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hi Suteck,

Thank you so much for the response and link. I've been wondering about the CPU power connector ever since I first took a look at the mobo manual.

I will try this out first thing when I get back from work today.

Thanks again! Hope it works...

alcatas

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Sorry for the double post, but fixed a few things per the link you sent me. Plugged the second power cord into the mobo, reseated the RAM and the GPU (both weren't fully in the socket).

Booted it up, and my monitor came to life! It said boot media not recognized/please enter boot media in selected boot device.

Does this mean it'ls all good to go for my windows 7 installation? (I haven't gotten it yet)

suteck

Distinguished
YEP ! ! ! That's what it means! Congratulations. Do a reboot and hit the delete key a few time to get into bios and walk yourself around there and get familiar with them. There will probably be a few tweaks you will want to make, like memory turbo and change to ahci for the drives if it isn't the default. That way when you do get your windows 7 you'll be ready to rock and roll.

Enjoy your new build.