Sign in with
Your question

Time to Upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2012 9:23:52 AM

hey what's up everybody!

I was directed to this portion of the forum as I was considering upgrading majority of my PC to gear it to more photo edit use. In the past i've only used my PC for light browsing and occasional gaming.

Here's my specs!

I currently have the following:
Antec P180 case
Intel wolfdale E8400
ASUS PRO 775
Antec EA500W
Seagate 320GB hd
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
I only have 4gb ram running with W. Vista. I need to upgrade my windows too..

My question is..should I upgrade my CPU only, limiting myself to what fits to my mobo?
or just go the whole nine yards? I'm not 100% but i'm assuming if i upgrade both, i'd be going forwards with IVY processor?

Thanks!

More about : time upgrade

November 19, 2012 9:50:10 AM

Assuming you have the budget for it, and want to spend a fair amount then why not go for a whole upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 9:54:48 AM

No, I don't recommend upgrading only CPU on that old, old mobo.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 19, 2012 1:01:36 PM

When it comes to image editing, the CPU really is important, and that dual core will be able to do it, but it's not gonna be optimal. As far as upgrading, the 775 socket is pretty much a dead end, and seeing how cheap some 1155 motherboards are, I would really suggest getting one and putting in a nice quadcore I5 to go with it. As a cheaper option, the old AMD Phenom II's are pretty good and they are really cheap, AM3 motherboards are also very cheap so it would be a formidable combo.
~UnlimitedBanana
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 1:51:39 PM

Ram, Ram, Ram, Ram. Photos use a lot of it. The more you have the better. If you have 32bit vista then we have a problem. And as others have said 775 is dated and the e8400 was almost top dog at the time. Won't find must faster for that old socket. Might want to consider a new build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 2:40:07 PM

You might be better with a whole new upgrade.Your system is dated and parts for it are expensive and difficult to come by.A cheap change you can do right now is switch to w7 64 bit and get to 16gb ram.
Comparably getting an i7 with a new mobo will allow for greater ram speeds and more fps from games.
Unless you are photo editing professionally I would only switch to the w7 64bit and get 4 gb more ram(total 8gb).
For surfing the net and occasional gaming(no new titles) it suffices.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
November 19, 2012 3:15:37 PM

I would go with at least the CPU and motherboard. Additional RAM would be good if you are working with high resolution photos; that assuming you have Vista 64-bit.

The OS can be upgraded later if you do not have the money for it. The same goes for the graphic card as well.
m
l
November 19, 2012 4:09:41 PM

wow thanks guys! this is awesome information and suggestions!

i was looking at newegg and will be looking to pretty much get new setup now.
i was looking at this cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

not sure about picking mobo - i usually just pick the one that's paired on newegg's site.

which gpu should i look into? should i keep the one i'm using now since i don't play much games?

and yep, i'm not a pro photographer but still learning right now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 4:45:01 PM

gnod said:
wow thanks guys! this is awesome information and suggestions!

i was looking at newegg and will be looking to pretty much get new setup now.
i was looking at this cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

not sure about picking mobo - i usually just pick the one that's paired on newegg's site.

which gpu should i look into? should i keep the one i'm using now since i don't play much games?

and yep, i'm not a pro photographer but still learning right now.

Congrats, you just picked up the best gaming CPU. Nice Choice.
Pair it up with ASRock Z77 Extreme4:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Even the Integrated Graphics (Intel HD4000) will be suffcient (Actually, they can be equivalent to a 50-60$ GPU, in gaming) if you are not gaming much.
m
l
November 21, 2012 8:38:38 PM

woot! i think the one you recommended just went on sale. not expecting to go lower so willing to bite now but are the included G.SKILL 8GB Ripjaws X Series PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 good? i mean they're free so im not complaining. just wondering if i should get another 8gb to go the full 16gb?

edit: nvm it's the extreme 3 vs the 4 which you recommended.
m
l
!