disappearing desktop

xp sp2 home

heres a customisation im trying to undo!

the desktop on my machine has disappeared. in explorer i can view the
contents of the desktop but there is nothing on teh desktop. if i right
click on the desktop and create a file or folder it duly appears on the
desktop in explorer but NOT on the desktop itself. ive checked through the
identities and put a file in each just in case im viewing the desktop of
another identity but to no avail. the machine was out on a loaner for a
whiole and has returned with this bizarre config.

im banjaxed (now theres a word you dont hear very often!)

any suggestion PLEASE

tia

teddave

--
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

www.teddave.org
home@teddave.org

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle," HG Wells wrote, "I no longer
despair for the human race."

"I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to
emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see
a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and
independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture
of untrammelled womanhood."
Susan B. Anthony, 1896
1 answer Last reply
More about disappearing desktop

    Hi,

    Try this: Right click on the desktop and point to "Arrange icons by" and put a check next to "Show
    desktop items"

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
    www.dts-l.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "teddave" <landy@teddave.org> wrote in message news:d19d4i$he0$1@titan.btinternet.com...
    > xp sp2 home
    >
    > heres a customisation im trying to undo!
    >
    > the desktop on my machine has disappeared. in explorer i can view the
    > contents of the desktop but there is nothing on teh desktop. if i right
    > click on the desktop and create a file or folder it duly appears on the
    > desktop in explorer but NOT on the desktop itself. ive checked through the
    > identities and put a file in each just in case im viewing the desktop of
    > another identity but to no avail. the machine was out on a loaner for a
    > whiole and has returned with this bizarre config.
    >
    > im banjaxed (now theres a word you dont hear very often!)
    >
    > any suggestion PLEASE
    >
    > tia
    >
    > teddave
    >
    > --
    > """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    >
    > www.teddave.org
    > home@teddave.org
    >
    > "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle," HG Wells wrote, "I no longer
    > despair for the human race."
    >
    > "I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to
    > emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see
    > a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and
    > independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture
    > of untrammelled womanhood."
    > Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Configuration Windows XP Desktops Microsoft Customization Explorer