What to do,What to do

Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was very
upset as he had asked for it earlier. I apologized and offered to get him a
helm. I could tell I pissed the group off. How should something like this be
handled? What are your thoughts on claiming an item during an instance run?

Briahan Level 44 Pally

In article <2%rme.1073$rp.583@fed1read02>, 1234567@cox.net says...
> Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
> Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was very
> upset as he had asked for it earlier. I apologized and offered to get him a
> helm. I could tell I pissed the group off. How should something like this be
> handled? What are your thoughts on claiming an item during an instance run?
>
> Briahan Level 44 Pally

You should have paid attention and not rolled. That helm is a rare drop
and I would have been extremely pissed if I was in that group too, even
if I wasn't the warrior.

--
Rob Berryhill

"Brian Reeves" <1234567@cox.net> wrote in message
> Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
> Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was
> very upset as he had asked for it earlier.

Well, for one thing I have a really hard time accepting the
"I rolled on it by accident" excuse, mainly for one reason:
The roll timer when loot is divided such as that gives a HUGE
amount of time to look at something and discuss what to do
with loot. It's almost as if some people feel pressured to
IMMEDIATELY either pass or roll on an object, even
when the yellow bar shows more than a couple of minutes
to decide what to do. And it's not like even then the
object will evaporate if you haven't decided. If you're
rolling on loot, I assume you're not in combat anymore,
which is the one place I'll accept that an accident could
happen---you ganked the boss, but his 400 minions are
killing your entire party and you have about 3 seconds to
decide what to do with loot you've never heard of...

>I apologized and offered to get him a helm. I could tell I pissed the
>group off. How should something like this be handled?

I'm sure that apology made him feel so much better. It
was probably more precious to him than the loot he was
trying to get. And I'm sure you will make yourself
available at his playtime at his convienance to the
exclusion of everything else until he's done enough runs
to get the item again. Yeah.

>What are your thoughts on claiming an item during an instance run?

Well, if a person is putting a group together with the
express purpose of getting a certain item for himself
or a certain other group member, it's fine...if you don't
agree with it, DO NOT go on the run. It's that simple.

I doubled with another rogue to get a barman shanker
a while back...with the understanding that the first
drop was his, and he would help me until I got mine.
His dropped first run...we were exstatic. He stayed
with me online for the next 4 days while we did over
12 runs to get my own. It was a huge drag on his
time, and I actually felt bad about it...but he told me
that he would have a hard time enjoying himself and
any group we were ever together in until he'd lived
up to his obligation. Telling somebody in a pick up
group that you'll help 'em get some rare item that
you accidentally looted at some vague time in the
future is tantamount to just telling him "Ha ha, loser,
I already got mine."

When you come back next week saying "Well, after
200 instance runs we finally got so-and-so for the
warrior" then I will 100% change my mind on this
issue.

I hooked up with the guy earlier (I invited him) and we went on a couple
more runs. The first time someone rolled on it and took it away from him.
The second time it didn't drop. Needless to say he is mighty frustrated. I
gave him a Gold to help make up for the loss. He left the group for the
night.

BTW-The reason I rolled was simply a mistake-My hand moved the mouse pointer
over the dice instead of the Dont Roll icon and I clicked. I was shocked at
myself. I had no intention of rolling. Just a brain freeze.Accidents do
happen, allthough you may not ever have them ;^)

Thanks for the feedback!

"Brian Reeves" <1234567@cox.net> wrote in message
> Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
> Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was
> very upset as he had asked for it earlier. I apologized and offered to get
> him a

Epic Helm at SM??
Are you talking about the Raging Berserk Helm
http://www.thottbot.com/?i=3797? Then I can see his frustration, but at lvl
40 he should be getting plate so it will be replaced very soon. What you
did, although accidental can really be unforgivable for some people.
Explain to him that it was accidental and if he still has issues then cest
la vie.

"Brian Reeves" <1234567@cox.net> wrote in message
> Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
> Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was
> very upset as he had asked for it earlier. I apologized and offered to get
> him a helm. I could tell I pissed the group off. How should something like
> this be handled? What are your thoughts on claiming an item during an
> instance run?

If someone says they want a drop at the *beginning* and you're not prepared
to give it up without a roll, then don't join. If they say that during the
instance then tough on them, roll and explain why. If it's not an item you
can even use or want, then you shouldn't be rolling full stop, unless it's
an agreed greed roll.

Apologise and explain what happened. If you are an Enchanter then disenchant
it and give him the shard. If not, vendor it and give him the proceeds as a
gesture. This is what *I* would do (and have done in a similar situation) in
the twin interests of fair play and not blowing my reputation.

Everyone makes mistakes, it's what we do about them afterwards which defines
us.

>I hooked up with the guy earlier (I invited him) and we went on a couple
>more runs. The first time someone rolled on it and took it away from him.
>The second time it didn't drop. Needless to say he is mighty frustrated. I
>gave him a Gold to help make up for the loss. He left the group for the
>night.

> BTW-The reason I rolled was simply a mistake-My hand moved the mouse
> pointer over the dice instead of the Dont Roll icon and I clicked. I was
> shocked at myself. I had no intention of rolling. Just a brain
> freeze.Accidents do happen, allthough you may not ever have them ;^)

A super-duper addon to Cosmos (I don't know if it "needs"
Cosmos to run) is called something like LootAlarm or loot
alert or something...all it does is that if you go to loot or roll
on any BoP item, it pops up a windows-style warning making
sure you want to perform the action. I don't know about any
others, but I do know for a fact that it stops 100% of any
accidents about rolling/looting, unless the accident is not really
an accident anyways.

And I don't have accidents...other people do and then I
bitch about them ;-).

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:57:48 -0700, Brian Reeves wrote:

> Just a brain freeze.Accidents do
> happen, allthough you may not ever have them ;^)

As long as you remember that such accidents in, say, Molten Core, get you
blacklisted quickly. I know these accidents happen, and the same happened
to me at low levels, but if someone rolls at a MC epic that isn't for their
class, people will show no understanding all. Seen it happen a few times,
and it was almost cruel to watch.

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

Brian Reeves ytrede sig i <sXxme.1281$rp.586@fed1read02> med dette:

>I hooked up with the guy earlier (I invited him) and we went on a couple
>more runs. The first time someone rolled on it and took it away from him.
>The second time it didn't drop. Needless to say he is mighty frustrated. I
>gave him a Gold to help make up for the loss. He left the group for the
>night.
>
>BTW-The reason I rolled was simply a mistake-My hand moved the mouse pointer
>over the dice instead of the Dont Roll icon and I clicked. I was shocked at
>myself. I had no intention of rolling. Just a brain freeze.Accidents do
>happen, allthough you may not ever have them ;^)
>
>Thanks for the feedback!

This has happened for me once, problem for me was that I didn't roll for
it but passed it on.

Some of the others went like "What??", "Why didn't you roll for that,
you could use it too!"

The guy who got it was very thankfull, because he and I was the only
ones in the group that could use it, so all others passed too.

I've seen it drop 3 times since, and sooner or later I WILL get "Aegis
of the Scarlet Commander" http://www.thottbot.com/beta.cgi?i=4031,
though it will put me in some distress, when having to choose between
using 1H+Shield or "Mograine's Might"
http://www.thottbot.com/beta.cgi?i=4585, since I already got that but
still needs to put in the last 2 talent points so I can use 2H weapons.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

You will never play again with this party. Trust me. You are now
blacklisted :(

Brian Reeves wrote:
> I hooked up with the guy earlier (I invited him) and we went on a couple
> more runs. The first time someone rolled on it and took it away from him.
> The second time it didn't drop. Needless to say he is mighty frustrated. I
> gave him a Gold to help make up for the loss. He left the group for the
> night.
>
> BTW-The reason I rolled was simply a mistake-My hand moved the mouse pointer
> over the dice instead of the Dont Roll icon and I clicked. I was shocked at
> myself. I had no intention of rolling. Just a brain freeze.Accidents do
> happen, allthough you may not ever have them ;^)
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

It happens with more experienced players too. Someone rolled on a BOP in
the Scholomance raid I was on yesterday. Nothing particularly valuable
or needed, but it didn't go down well.
Always make sure if someone desperately wants an item, and you know who
drops it, to set up the loot options beforehand so no one can accidently
pick it up. The reminder message - looting this item will bind it to you
- is generally enough. Masterloot may be a better option, especially in
pickup groups.
As the others said in response to your 1st post, discuss this before you
enter the instance or when in the entry area before you engage the mobs.
Most people will be paying attention at that stage.

Cameron

On Mon, 30 May 2005 11:04:29 -0500, "Mark Rimer" <gone@not.there>
wrote:

>A super-duper addon to Cosmos (I don't know if it "needs"
>Cosmos to run) is called something like LootAlarm or loot
>alert or something...all it does is that if you go to loot or roll
>on any BoP item, it pops up a windows-style warning making
>sure you want to perform the action. I don't know about any
>others, but I do know for a fact that it stops 100% of any
>accidents about rolling/looting, unless the accident is not really
>an accident anyways.

A patch or two ago this was incorporated in the standart UI by
Blizzard.

As such, I find it a bit strange that the OP's mouse could "slip" and
click roll and then "yes". Unless he installed some mod which disabled
this safeguard again...?

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Brian Reeves wrote:
> BTW-The reason I rolled was simply a mistake-My hand moved the mouse pointer
> over the dice instead of the Dont Roll icon and I clicked. I was shocked at
> myself. I had no intention of rolling. Just a brain freeze.Accidents do
> happen, allthough you may not ever have them ;^)

And then when the window pops up saying "Looting this item will bind it
to you, are you SURE you want to roll?", your hand moved the mouse
pointer over yes instead of no?

These accidents happened a lot in the earlier days of WoW, but it was
quite a few patches ago now that they introduced the confirmation for
rolling on BoPs, just like the confirmation when looting them normally.

Having said that, I applaud you for making an effort to do some more
runs with him, and then slipping him some cash when they were
unsuccessful. Although I am a staunch supporter of the Bind on Pickup
mechanism, it really can lead to some unpleasant moments where people
wish they could undo what they did. I recall someone suggesting that it
would be nice if there was some mechanism by which you could transfer a
BoP item to another player in the same party while you were still in the
instance in which it dropped. That would be nice.

Cheers!
David...

"Mroczny Baranek" <mroczny@baranek.No_sPaM.eu.org> wrote in message
> You will never play again with this party. Trust me. You are now blacklisted
> :(

LOL! Funny. Unless it was a guild party all with chips on their shoulders,
It's highly unlikely that exact same party will ever be assembled together
again to 'blacklist' him or anyone. There are tens of thousands of players
on these servers. Now if he were to make a habit of this kind of behavior
over a period of time, in numerous instance runs, then he'd have some-
thing to worry about. But one mistake in a random pickup party at the
SM level is hardly the end of your reputation.
-Marshall

Trooper wrote:

> I installed the easymail addon in the end, which prefills with the last
> person you sent mail to. It has it's own problems in that occasionally
> it takes 60c and 2 hours to transfer items to my mule... ;)

And that's on the good day, on the bad day, when you send a bunch of
items, it just takes your money and put everything back to your
backpack, urgh!!!!!

Brian Reeves wrote:
> Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
> Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was very
> upset as he had asked for it earlier. I apologized and offered to get him a
> helm. I could tell I pissed the group off. How should something like this be
> handled? What are your thoughts on claiming an item during an instance run?

My thought is that with the warning message that comes up
before the roll for BoP items it's really difficult to
make a credible case for rolling on them "mistakenly".
The problem is that a BoP epic helm simply isn't replaceable,
and you could run through that instance another 10 times
with that warrior without a repeat drop.

I'm not sure how you ever recover from the public player
reputation slam that something like this causes. Even if
you make it up to the warrior how are you going to do the
same for the dozens of people who are going to hear about
this by word of mouth and then refuse to group with you
in the future?

Maybe you could invest in enough Henry David Thoreau to
convince yourself of the virtue of solitude. Or just
restart with a new character with a different name. But
the warrior is always going to be P.O.'d, and so is everyone
else who was in the group, and everyone else who hears
about it from them.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

porl wrote:
> Apologise and explain what happened. If you are an Enchanter then disenchant
> it and give him the shard. If not, vendor it and give him the proceeds as a
> gesture. This is what *I* would do (and have done in a similar situation) in
> the twin interests of fair play and not blowing my reputation.

If you disenchanted a priceless BoP item (OR sold it) and
then gave me the proceeds I would consider it a pretty damn
shallow effort designed more for the purpose of assuaging
YOUR conscience than for compensating me for the thing I'd
put in the effort and passed on all other rolls in order
to get.

> Everyone makes mistakes, it's what we do about them afterwards which defines
> us.

Indeed. Because we would be separated by an internet wall
I would be unable to spit in your face for offering me a
shard instead of a purple epic. Ergo I would probably just
settle for holding a grudge for a good long time, telling
many many people what you had done, and what you thought
was an adequate way to make up for it.

Sorry, I know you're trying to be helpful, but I'm trying
to put myself in the shoes of that other guy who got screwed
out of the purple hat, and I'm having a hard time imagining
any reasonable expense or act which would make me feel any
better.

--

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Mroczny Baranek" <mroczny@baranek.No_sPaM.eu.org> wrote in message
>> You will never play again with this party. Trust me. You are now
>> blacklisted :(
>
> LOL! Funny. Unless it was a guild party all with chips on their shoulders,
> It's highly unlikely that exact same party will ever be assembled together
> again to 'blacklist' him or anyone. There are tens of thousands of players
> on these servers. Now if he were to make a habit of this kind of behavior
> over a period of time, in numerous instance runs, then he'd have some-
> thing to worry about. But one mistake in a random pickup party at the
> SM level is hardly the end of your reputation.
> -Marshall

Since my very first bad experience playing with others I've kept my own
notes on people that stand out for one reason or another. It's a time-saving
device.

(I broke my own rules by raiding with a Paladin who I had filed under
"suspect", 2 nights ago. He rolled and won a Magister Belt (BOE), put all
the members ignore and left the party LOL)

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

porl loved her ferret enough to say...

> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mroczny Baranek" <mroczny@baranek.No_sPaM.eu.org> wrote in message
> >> You will never play again with this party. Trust me. You are now
> >> blacklisted :(
> >
> > LOL! Funny. Unless it was a guild party all with chips on their shoulders,
> > It's highly unlikely that exact same party will ever be assembled together
> > again to 'blacklist' him or anyone. There are tens of thousands of players
> > on these servers. Now if he were to make a habit of this kind of behavior
> > over a period of time, in numerous instance runs, then he'd have some-
> > thing to worry about. But one mistake in a random pickup party at the
> > SM level is hardly the end of your reputation.
> > -Marshall
>

> Since my very first bad experience playing with others I've kept my own
> notes on people that stand out for one reason or another. It's a time-saving
> device.

The chances of me rembering the name of a random person I grouped with
from 3 weeks ago is rather remote, I can't even remember the name of my
mule when i'm standing at the mail box. ;)

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

In article <2%rme.1073$rp.583@fed1read02>,
"Brian Reeves" <1234567@cox.net> wrote:

> Ok, So me and a group went on a SM run and cleared all 4 areas. When the
> Epic Helm dropped I mistakenly rolled on it and won it. The Warrior was very
> upset as he had asked for it earlier. I apologized and offered to get him a
> helm. I could tell I pissed the group off. How should something like this be
> handled? What are your thoughts on claiming an item during an instance run?

"Don't have done that."

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

In article <MPG.1d0668518b323cb989ff8@news.individual.net>,
Trooper <news@trooperlooper.co.uk> wrote:

> The chances of me rembering the name of a random person I grouped with
> from 3 weeks ago is rather remote, I can't even remember the name of my
> mule when i'm standing at the mail box. ;)

If you put him in your friends list, the mail-addresser will help out
with type-completion. It's a Light-send, let me tell you! ;)

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):
Chum, Gnome warlock, Bronzebeard
Tost, Dwarven rogue, Bronzebeard
Meadow, Night elf priest, Bronzebeard
Harmany, Undead mage, Dethecus
<http://www.ManyFriends.com/WoW/PhotoAlbum/>
Aka "Misc" -- If you don't remove your pants, I won't get your email.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-31, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:

> Indeed. Because we would be separated by an internet wall
> I would be unable to spit in your face for offering me a
> shard instead of a purple epic. Ergo I would probably just
> settle for holding a grudge for a good long time, telling
> many many people what you had done, and what you thought
> was an adequate way to make up for it.

It's just a game. You're only holding a grudge so it doesn't
happen again to you. Getting personal and acting malicious like
spitting in someones face is plain stupid over a virtual item.

> Sorry, I know you're trying to be helpful, but I'm trying
> to put myself in the shoes of that other guy who got screwed
> out of the purple hat, and I'm having a hard time imagining
> any reasonable expense or act which would make me feel any
> better.

I'm very happy whenever I screwed up in a group they always said
it was OK and laughed it off.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:26:28 +0100, Trooper <news@trooperlooper.co.uk>
wrote:

>porl loved her ferret enough to say...
>>
>> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Mroczny Baranek" <mroczny@baranek.No_sPaM.eu.org> wrote in message
>> >
>> > LOL! Funny. Unless it was a guild party all with chips on their shoulders,
>> > It's highly unlikely that exact same party will ever be assembled together
>> > again to 'blacklist' him or anyone. There are tens of thousands of players
>> > on these servers. Now if he were to make a habit of this kind of behavior
>> > over a period of time, in numerous instance runs, then he'd have some-
>> > thing to worry about. But one mistake in a random pickup party at the
>> > SM level is hardly the end of your reputation.
>> > -Marshall
>>

>> Since my very first bad experience playing with others I've kept my own
>> notes on people that stand out for one reason or another. It's a time-saving
>> device.
>>

>The chances of me rembering the name of a random person I grouped with
>from 3 weeks ago is rather remote, I can't even remember the name of my
>mule when i'm standing at the mail box. ;)

Do you remember the almighty Gerplex?

--
Gamertag: unclechibi
http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Nabuu loved her ferret enough to say...
> In article <MPG.1d0668518b323cb989ff8@news.individual.net>,
> Trooper <news@trooperlooper.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The chances of me rembering the name of a random person I grouped with
> > from 3 weeks ago is rather remote, I can't even remember the name of my
> > mule when i'm standing at the mail box. ;)
>
> If you put him in your friends list, the mail-addresser will help out
> with type-completion. It's a Light-send, let me tell you! ;)

I installed the easymail addon in the end, which prefills with the last
person you sent mail to. It has it's own problems in that occasionally
it takes 60c and 2 hours to transfer items to my mule... ;)

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Alastair Foster loved her ferret enough to say...
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:26:28 +0100, Trooper <news@trooperlooper.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> >The chances of me rembering the name of a random person I grouped with
> >from 3 weeks ago is rather remote, I can't even remember the name of my
> >mule when i'm standing at the mail box. ;)
>
> Do you remember the almighty Gerplex?

That weird guy I occasionally group with?

....nah, no idea.