Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dedicated physx card of any value?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2012 12:59:48 PM

Hi everyone,
I am upgrading my machine and will be getting a 660ti/560ti. I will have a leftover gtx260 will there be any advantage to using the 260 as a dedicated physx card? I have a pci-e 3 board so dropping the main card to x8 should not be a problem.
Thanks!

More about : dedicated physx card

a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 1:25:42 PM

Yea a little bit. But since not many games use Physx. But yea go ahead knock your self out. I was planning to do this with my GTX 560 ti, once i get my 670.

I play metro 2033 which uses Physx, and alot of Upcoming games are beging to use Physx
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 1:31:30 PM

Rockdpm said:

I play metro 2033 which uses Physx, and alot of Upcoming games are beging to use Physx

like what games? nvidia has been using that line for a long time now.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 1:32:22 PM

The GTX260 is plenty fast enough run all the physx for any game out there. The question is what games are you playing that use physx? In a game like Arkam the 660ti will run on the highest settings with physx with no problem. Off loading the extra over head of physx may get you an extra 5 or 10 FPS but if your already at like 70-80 then its not really much use.

In my case if I turn off sli and use 1 470 for games and 1 470 for physx the games looks and plays exactly the same.

In short the gtx260 will work fine, I think you should try and see if you get any noticable fps increase.

I only have like 3 games that support physx, so i dont really see any value in it.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 1:40:24 PM

"physx" is an Nvidia proprietery tech that "supposed to allow rendering of realistic physical interactions of objects in the game" and this is pupposed to happen using less resources then a video card would normally use - so the result is therefore a higher framerate in your game.

Does it REALLY work like that? well yes, but the framerate we are looking at is a gain of like 1 or 2 frames while making your game supposedly "looks better" I never noticed a visible difference with it. I really think its more of a marketing gimmic for NVidia then a tangible SIGNIFICANT improvement that I can measure.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 1:43:53 PM

why would a developer incorporate something that at best 60% of the market can use? unless of course you drop a suitcase full of money on their door step. i would personally sell the GTX 260 while you can, help cover the expense of the 560ti/660ti.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 1:58:03 PM

most game companies dont support physx. The Unreal 3 engine has support so anything built on it should run it.

Batmans Arkam
metro
cryo stasis
UT3
mirrors edge
mafia 2
dark void.

And thats all I can think of, in my experiance it does not do anything. I actually uninstalled physx as trouble shooting step a few months back and never reinstalled it.
m
l
May 16, 2012 2:19:13 PM

Best answer selected by pedalbike.
m
l
!