Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-8120 massively overheating at stock settings

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2012 1:54:19 PM

My AMD FX-8120 is overheating. I get temperatures between 55c-60c when idle. Under load it gets heated upto 85c-90c. Monitored these temperatures with amd overdrive. I am not overclocking a bit. All settings are set to stock settings. My fan is also working properly. All the bios settings are also set to defaults. How should I lower the temperature. Please dont suggest for a new heat sink. My PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1 GB Nvidia Geforce 210
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W power supply
Windows 8 pro 64bit
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 2:12:45 PM

You've got a cooling problem.

Has it ever run cool enough? If it used to run cooler, then check and see if you have dust buildup or something in your case blocking air flow. Make sure the heatsink is still firmly seated.

If it has never been cool enough, you may need to check that the heatsink is installed properly and I would recommend reapplying some new thermal paste (after cleaning off old). Does your case have good airflow? Do you have a rear or top exhaust fan by CPU? If not, that would be something worthwhile to add.
m
l
November 20, 2012 3:22:28 AM

twelve25 said:
You've got a cooling problem.

Has it ever run cool enough? If it used to run cooler, then check and see if you have dust buildup or something in your case blocking air flow. Make sure the heatsink is still firmly seated.

If it has never been cool enough, you may need to check that the heatsink is installed properly and I would recommend reapplying some new thermal paste (after cleaning off old). Does your case have good airflow? Do you have a rear or top exhaust fan by CPU? If not, that would be something worthwhile to add.

Cleaned the case. Reinstalled the heatsink and applied new thermal paste. The airflow is also good enough. Still no good.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 3:33:35 AM

What cooler do you have?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 4:01:17 AM

85=90 will burn that cpu , ask how I know . Did it ever run cool ?
m
l
November 20, 2012 12:39:44 PM

twelve25 said:
What cooler do you have?

I am using the stock cooler.
m
l
November 20, 2012 12:42:59 PM

jerry6 said:
85=90 will burn that cpu , ask how I know . Did it ever run cool ?

It is running at 85c-90c since I bought it. First I thought it was ok. But after searching on the internet I found that it is above the limit
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 1:58:31 PM

Do you have any case fans?

You said you don't want to be told to get another cooler, but that would appear to be the answer. And you said airflow is fine, but that doesn't seem likely with temps like that.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 20, 2012 2:34:25 PM

You say bios is default?
whats the default Cpu voltage? 1.4v? higher?
try setting your Cpu voltage as low as you can, start at around 1.3v and if you have instability then raise it bit by but until you have a stable system,
that will have a massive effect on temps if its set stupidly high in bios as default,
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 5:37:03 PM

i remember reading bulldozers have power consumption problems on 700 series motherboards
m
l
November 21, 2012 2:10:50 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You say bios is default?
whats the default Cpu voltage? 1.4v? higher?
try setting your Cpu voltage as low as you can, start at around 1.3v and if you have instability then raise it bit by but until you have a stable system,
that will have a massive effect on temps if its set stupidly high in bios as default,
Moto

You are right. My default voltage is 1.415v. Will setting voltages like 1.3v be safe and give me the same performance as that of stock performance? And how to determine that my system is stable. Also can you tell the exact voltage for a stable system? Sorry for asking so many questions I am not a hardware expert.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 21, 2012 2:50:28 PM

There is no exact voltage we can tell you, every chip behaves slightly differently so if you start at 1.3125v and try to boot, if the system crashes, put it up a notch and repeat until your system will run normally without crashing,
but the difference in temperatures between using 1.3125v and 1.415v is going to be quite drastic, maybe 7-8'c at idle,
Moto
m
l
November 22, 2012 8:37:16 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
There is no exact voltage we can tell you, every chip behaves slightly differently so if you start at 1.3125v and try to boot, if the system crashes, put it up a notch and repeat until your system will run normally without crashing,
but the difference in temperatures between using 1.3125v and 1.415v is going to be quite drastic, maybe 7-8'c at idle,
Moto

Reduced the temp by 10c. But still 35c at idle and 80c under load.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 22, 2012 2:28:50 PM

Ok, in that case I'd look at reseating your heatsink, maybe clean it whilst its off if its covered in dust etc, and check case airflow, what are you using to mointor temps btw? just the Overdrivel?
download coretemp and see what that says and doublecheck it with the bios temp
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 3:46:31 PM

Uzair007 said:
I am using the stock cooler.

does it look like this , or is it some junk a system builder stuck on ? I have seen a lot of pre built systems with non stock amd coolers stuck on , they are junk made for 65watt cpu , builders cheaping out .
m
l
November 24, 2012 5:55:43 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ok, in that case I'd look at reseating your heatsink, maybe clean it whilst its off if its covered in dust etc, and check case airflow, what are you using to mointor temps btw? just the Overdrivel?
download coretemp and see what that says and doublecheck it with the bios temp
Moto

Core temp and bios are also showing the same temps
Reseated the heatsink. Still no good
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2012 6:31:51 AM

Uzair007 said:
Core temp and bios are also showing the same temps
Reseated the heatsink. Still no good

you cleaned off old paste or thermal compound , what thermal compound did you use ? To much paste will give high temps , what method you use .Volts are fine mine runs at 1,42
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:12:14 PM

I cleaned the thermal paste and reapplied it. I placed a pea sized paste at the centre of the processor and seated the heat sink on it. But still no difference.

Note: Switching the power options to power saver in control panel reduced my temps by a great amount. Now it runs at 30c idle and 65c under load. But will the power saver reduce the performance?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 4:43:33 PM

Those temps are about what I was getting with the new AMD coolers with the smaler fan and cooler
old 1110 on right , new 8350 cooler on left

1110 on right with older opteron fan , new noisey 8350 fan on left , the new do not cool as well and make double the noise

m
l
!