I want to play Warcraft ... where do I begin?

Greetings folks,

I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
would like to try it out.

With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.

Could someone please tell me what software I'll need to get started?

Thanks much in advance, Rob.
17 answers Last reply
More about play warcraft begin

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message

    Well if you are looking for the mmorpg "warcraft" then you need to get World
    of Warcraft. I am sure it's available at most electronic/software vendors.
    Hope you enjoy the experience as much as I have :D

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

    >I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
    >would like to try it out.
    >
    >With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
    >add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.

    Well, unlike EQ, WoW hasn't gotten any expansions yet, so just go buy
    the basic World of Warcraft package at your local software shop and
    you are good to go.

    As for add-ons, that really depend on you and the class you choose to
    play - it is, however, very playable without, so just play a bit and
    when you start thinking "Gah! Why can't the interface do <this>", then
    try to go look for an add-on that does that.

    As such I will only recomend a few very basic ones (and try without
    them first):

    Cooldown Count - if one of your abilities is on cooldown, this one
    writes one the toolbar button how long the remaining cooldown is.

    Equip Compare - when you get a item tooltip, this one puts the tooltip
    for the item you are wearing up next to it, making comparison easier.

    Sell Value - adds a line to item tooltips with the items vendor sell
    value, helps when you have a full backpack and you have to decide
    which vendor item to destroy.

    Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    Simon Nejmann wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
    >>would like to try it out.
    >>
    >>With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
    >>add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
    >

    > Well, unlike EQ, WoW hasn't gotten any expansions yet, so just go buy
    > the basic World of Warcraft package at your local software shop and
    > you are good to go.
    >
    > As for add-ons, that really depend on you and the class you choose to
    > play - it is, however, very playable without, so just play a bit and
    > when you start thinking "Gah! Why can't the interface do <this>", then
    > try to go look for an add-on that does that.
    >

    > As such I will only recomend a few very basic ones (and try without
    > them first):
    >
    > Cooldown Count - if one of your abilities is on cooldown, this one
    > writes one the toolbar button how long the remaining cooldown is.
    >
    > Equip Compare - when you get a item tooltip, this one puts the tooltip
    > for the item you are wearing up next to it, making comparison easier.
    >
    > Sell Value - adds a line to item tooltips with the items vendor sell
    > value, helps when you have a full backpack and you have to decide
    > which vendor item to destroy.
    >
    > Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php

    Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you
    start playing is forget where you got the quest.

    These are some add-ons I find extremely usefull:

    - MapNotes. Create a note on your map with info.
    - MapCoord. Well any add on which displays coordinates.
    - Pet Feed ( yeah hunter myst have ). Automatically feeds your pet
    - Atlas ( maps of al the dungeons )
    - AlphaMap. Transparent map so you can walk around and see where you're
    walking
    - WeaponSwap. Switch from ranged to melee weapons with one button.
    - Sky. I party with the same 2 players every day. This way I can check
    their quests and compare with mine. Great add-on.

    I also use FlexBar but I suggest to leave that until you found out how
    you want to organize your buttons since it is hard to configure.

    > Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you
    > start playing is forget where you got the quest.

    I'm using a paper A4 notebook at the moment, I guess I should switch to
    this!

    > These are some add-ons I find extremely usefull:
    >
    > - MapNotes. Create a note on your map with info.
    > - MapCoord. Well any add on which displays coordinates.
    > - Pet Feed ( yeah hunter myst have ). Automatically feeds your pet
    > - Atlas ( maps of al the dungeons )
    > - AlphaMap. Transparent map so you can walk around and see where you're
    > walking
    > - WeaponSwap. Switch from ranged to melee weapons with one button.
    > - Sky. I party with the same 2 players every day. This way I can check
    > their quests and compare with mine. Great add-on.
    >
    > I also use FlexBar but I suggest to leave that until you found out how you
    > want to organize your buttons since it is hard to configure.

    I would recommmend :

    BottomBar - Adds a bar just above the XP bar, lots of space for spells.

    BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
    underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently the
    font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024 and
    probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to "Interface: 1300"
    as its out of date.

    Infobar - Bag/Money status meter, Dps, Fps, Money Earned, Exp Earned,
    Co-Ords and more

    SelfCast - Saves vital seconds, just hit 'holy light' or another spell when
    fighting a mob and it will cast it on yourself without having to click on
    yourself

    SellValue - See the value of an item, another extremely helpful mod.

    Gatherer - Extremely helpful mod, not even just for miners/herbalists, also
    tracks treasure chests, I stayed in one area and farmed these and the mobs
    and herbs (alas I was a low level so didnt make a killing but it helped with
    potions and stuff)

    I've just now installed Atlas as need it for Gnomeregan

    Theres another one I use called DropRate, its very good, it finds and
    calculates what drops from what mob. Also tracks their level too, so a
    Redridge Thrasher (16) may drop wool 50% but a Redridge Thrasher (15) may
    drop it only 15% of the time. Only thing is the list for wool is getting
    quite long now!

    "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    > BottomBar - Adds a bar just above the XP bar, lots of space for spells.

    That's part of the standard UI.

    > BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
    > underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently the
    > font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024 and
    > probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to "Interface: 1300"
    > as its out of date.

    That's part of the standard UI, too :-)

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (46) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> BottomBar - Adds a bar just above the XP bar, lots of space for spells.
    >

    > That's part of the standard UI.
    >
    >> BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
    >> underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently
    >> the font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024
    >> and probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to
    >> "Interface: 1300" as its out of date.
    >

    > That's part of the standard UI, too :-)

    That's why I'm using flexbar. Scalable, movable, groupable. all that.

    I am looking for a more intelligent weapon/stance/bar switch macro for
    my hunter.

    Currently I equip a Razor Axe of Agility ( 26 agi, 2,5 speed ) for
    ranged. When they come to me I switch to my Hanzo sword and Julie's
    Dagger. I want to do more when I swap.

    I want to swap from/to the following states:

    - Ranged :
    - 2H axe for the stats
    - Main button bar with all my stings and other ranged stuff
    - Melee :
    - 1 1H for fast damage and with julies dagger change to heal
    - Main button bar has all survival stuff like raptor strike,
    disengage, mongoose bite etc

    The best would a macro which knwos your current state and swaps to the
    other. I can script the weapon switch macro I have and propably could
    easily find how to select another button bar.

    The reason I want this is that it's easier to use keyboard than the
    mouse in combat with the same keybindings for different stances.

    Any suggestions?

    "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
    > Simon Nejmann wrote:
    >> On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
    >>>would like to try it out.
    >>>
    >>>With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
    >>>add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
    >>

    >> Well, unlike EQ, WoW hasn't gotten any expansions yet, so just go buy
    >> the basic World of Warcraft package at your local software shop and
    >> you are good to go.
    >>
    >> As for add-ons, that really depend on you and the class you choose to
    >> play - it is, however, very playable without, so just play a bit and
    >> when you start thinking "Gah! Why can't the interface do <this>", then
    >> try to go look for an add-on that does that.
    >>

    >> As such I will only recomend a few very basic ones (and try without
    >> them first):
    >>
    >> Cooldown Count - if one of your abilities is on cooldown, this one
    >> writes one the toolbar button how long the remaining cooldown is.
    >>
    >> Equip Compare - when you get a item tooltip, this one puts the tooltip
    >> for the item you are wearing up next to it, making comparison easier.
    >>
    >> Sell Value - adds a line to item tooltips with the items vendor sell
    >> value, helps when you have a full backpack and you have to decide
    >> which vendor item to destroy.
    >>
    >> Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php
    >>

    > Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you
    > start playing is forget where you got the quest.
    >
    > These are some add-ons I find extremely usefull:
    >
    > - MapNotes. Create a note on your map with info.
    > - MapCoord. Well any add on which displays coordinates.
    > - Pet Feed ( yeah hunter myst have ). Automatically feeds your pet
    > - Atlas ( maps of al the dungeons )
    > - AlphaMap. Transparent map so you can walk around and see where you're
    > walking
    > - WeaponSwap. Switch from ranged to melee weapons with one button.
    > - Sky. I party with the same 2 players every day. This way I can check
    > their quests and compare with mine. Great add-on.
    >
    > I also use FlexBar but I suggest to leave that until you found out how you
    > want to organize your buttons since it is hard to configure.

    This is a good one... http://ui.worldofwar.net/ui.php?id=346
    It remembers your auction prices so you dont have to reenter them over and
    over.

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >> BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
    >> underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently
    >> the font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024
    >> and probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to
    >> "Interface: 1300" as its out of date.
    >
    > That's part of the standard UI, too :-)

    The BuffTimers addon is a little nicer, though, it always displays the
    time as mm:ss, rather than switching from minutes only to seconds when
    it gets below 1 minute.

    No biggie, but I got used to it and when Blizz added their timers to the
    vanilla UI I stuck with the addon.

    Cheers!
    David...

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:18:26 +1000, David Carson
    <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

    >The BuffTimers addon is a little nicer, though, it always displays the
    >time as mm:ss, rather than switching from minutes only to seconds when
    >it gets below 1 minute.
    >
    >No biggie, but I got used to it and when Blizz added their timers to the
    >vanilla UI I stuck with the addon.

    Yup, I dumped BuffTimers when Blizzard added their own timers, but I
    hated their format. So I turned it off again and reinstalled
    BuffTimers :)

    Ps. Even in the face of all the good suggestions presented in this
    thread, I still retain that Rob (the OP) should abstain from
    installing any add-ons at least in the beginning.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message

    > Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you start
    > playing is forget where you got the quest.

    In that case, how can someone do without QuestHistory? :) It tells you exactly
    where you got every quest you ever picked up, and if you have MapNotes too,
    it'll put a pin in the map to show you where :)

    --
    Paul

    Paul Catley ytrede sig i <3g1j9dFa82b0U1@individual.net> med dette:

    >"Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you start
    >> playing is forget where you got the quest.
    >
    >In that case, how can someone do without QuestHistory? :) It tells you exactly
    >where you got every quest you ever picked up, and if you have MapNotes too,
    >it'll put a pin in the map to show you where :)

    You got a link to this add-on?
    --
    Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
    "When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings folks,
    >
    > I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
    > would like to try it out.
    >
    > With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
    > add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
    >
    > Could someone please tell me what software I'll need to get started?
    >
    > Thanks much in advance, Rob.

    what expansions? There aren't any. Pick up a box that says "world of
    warcraft" and install it....

    No. Do a search for Quest History at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php

    --
    Paul

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

    >Greetings folks,
    >
    >I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
    >would like to try it out.
    >
    >With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
    >add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
    >
    >Could someone please tell me what software I'll need to get started?
    >
    >Thanks much in advance, Rob.

    There are two completely different "flavors" of Warcraft.

    The flavor that has lots of versions and expansions are the games
    Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. These are single player real time strategy
    games. They have a nice storyline that goes from episode to episode
    of the game. It's possible to play online, but nothing carries over
    from session to session.

    If you've been playing Everquest you are probably looking for World of
    Warcraft, which is a similar massive online game. There's only one
    version. Just buy WoW, install, enjoy. As with Everquest, there is
    monthly fee.

    > Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mo­d.php

    Healers *need* to have CastParty. If you don't have it, you're playing
    gimped. It's available from the same site.

    Also, CTMod is a good package and is at http://www.ctmod.net Once
    you're at a high enough level to be in raids, get CTRaid_Assist from
    there, as well.

    Regards,
    Noal

    --
    Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
    Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (21) on Stormrage [PvE]

    Many thanks to everyone for the responsiveness. I have concluded from all
    the replies to my post that WOW has some really decent folks playing ...
    that's another good thing to know up front.

    One last question, what is the current monthly subscription fee to play
    online?

    Take care and thanks again, Rob

    Rob wrote:
    > Many thanks to everyone for the responsiveness. I have concluded from
    > all the replies to my post that WOW has some really decent folks
    > playing ... that's another good thing to know up front.
    >
    > One last question, what is the current monthly subscription fee to
    > play online?
    >
    > Take care and thanks again, Rob

    www.Worldofwarcraft.com says:
    month-to-month package at $14.99 per month
    three-month plan at $13.99 per month
    six-month plan at $12.99 per month

    and www.wow-europe.com says:
    month-by-month subscription costs 12.99?/£8.99 per month
    3-month subscription costs 11.99?/£8.39 per month
    six month subscription costs 10.99?/£7.69 per month

    and there's one month of free playing time included with the game.

    And by the way, those sites have lots of great info about the game if you
    want to know more about. I just received my own copy in the mail today, so
    I'll probably start playing this weekend.

    HTH

    Devast8or

Warcraft Games Software Video Games Product