Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I want to play Warcraft ... where do I begin?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 30, 2005 2:37:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Greetings folks,

I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
would like to try it out.

With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.

Could someone please tell me what software I'll need to get started?

Thanks much in advance, Rob.

More about : play warcraft begin

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 12:34:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
news:KTvme.15870$DC2.2121@okepread01...

Well if you are looking for the mmorpg "warcraft" then you need to get World
of Warcraft. I am sure it's available at most electronic/software vendors.
Hope you enjoy the experience as much as I have :D 
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:19:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

>I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
>would like to try it out.
>
>With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
>add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.

Well, unlike EQ, WoW hasn't gotten any expansions yet, so just go buy
the basic World of Warcraft package at your local software shop and
you are good to go.

As for add-ons, that really depend on you and the class you choose to
play - it is, however, very playable without, so just play a bit and
when you start thinking "Gah! Why can't the interface do <this>", then
try to go look for an add-on that does that.


As such I will only recomend a few very basic ones (and try without
them first):

Cooldown Count - if one of your abilities is on cooldown, this one
writes one the toolbar button how long the remaining cooldown is.

Equip Compare - when you get a item tooltip, this one puts the tooltip
for the item you are wearing up next to it, making comparison easier.

Sell Value - adds a line to item tooltips with the items vendor sell
value, helps when you have a full backpack and you have to decide
which vendor item to destroy.

Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Related resources
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:32:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
>>would like to try it out.
>>
>>With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
>>add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
>
>
> Well, unlike EQ, WoW hasn't gotten any expansions yet, so just go buy
> the basic World of Warcraft package at your local software shop and
> you are good to go.
>
> As for add-ons, that really depend on you and the class you choose to
> play - it is, however, very playable without, so just play a bit and
> when you start thinking "Gah! Why can't the interface do <this>", then
> try to go look for an add-on that does that.
>
>
> As such I will only recomend a few very basic ones (and try without
> them first):
>
> Cooldown Count - if one of your abilities is on cooldown, this one
> writes one the toolbar button how long the remaining cooldown is.
>
> Equip Compare - when you get a item tooltip, this one puts the tooltip
> for the item you are wearing up next to it, making comparison easier.
>
> Sell Value - adds a line to item tooltips with the items vendor sell
> value, helps when you have a full backpack and you have to decide
> which vendor item to destroy.
>
> Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php
>

Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you
start playing is forget where you got the quest.

These are some add-ons I find extremely usefull:

- MapNotes. Create a note on your map with info.
- MapCoord. Well any add on which displays coordinates.
- Pet Feed ( yeah hunter myst have ). Automatically feeds your pet
- Atlas ( maps of al the dungeons )
- AlphaMap. Transparent map so you can walk around and see where you're
walking
- WeaponSwap. Switch from ranged to melee weapons with one button.
- Sky. I party with the same 2 players every day. This way I can check
their quests and compare with mine. Great add-on.

I also use FlexBar but I suggest to leave that until you found out how
you want to organize your buttons since it is hard to configure.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:16:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you
> start playing is forget where you got the quest.

I'm using a paper A4 notebook at the moment, I guess I should switch to
this!

> These are some add-ons I find extremely usefull:
>
> - MapNotes. Create a note on your map with info.
> - MapCoord. Well any add on which displays coordinates.
> - Pet Feed ( yeah hunter myst have ). Automatically feeds your pet
> - Atlas ( maps of al the dungeons )
> - AlphaMap. Transparent map so you can walk around and see where you're
> walking
> - WeaponSwap. Switch from ranged to melee weapons with one button.
> - Sky. I party with the same 2 players every day. This way I can check
> their quests and compare with mine. Great add-on.
>
> I also use FlexBar but I suggest to leave that until you found out how you
> want to organize your buttons since it is hard to configure.

I would recommmend :

BottomBar - Adds a bar just above the XP bar, lots of space for spells.

BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently the
font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024 and
probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to "Interface: 1300"
as its out of date.

Infobar - Bag/Money status meter, Dps, Fps, Money Earned, Exp Earned,
Co-Ords and more

SelfCast - Saves vital seconds, just hit 'holy light' or another spell when
fighting a mob and it will cast it on yourself without having to click on
yourself

SellValue - See the value of an item, another extremely helpful mod.

Gatherer - Extremely helpful mod, not even just for miners/herbalists, also
tracks treasure chests, I stayed in one area and farmed these and the mobs
and herbs (alas I was a low level so didnt make a killing but it helped with
potions and stuff)

I've just now installed Atlas as need it for Gnomeregan

Theres another one I use called DropRate, its very good, it finds and
calculates what drops from what mob. Also tracks their level too, so a
Redridge Thrasher (16) may drop wool 50% but a Redridge Thrasher (15) may
drop it only 15% of the time. Only thing is the list for wool is getting
quite long now!
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:23:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> BottomBar - Adds a bar just above the XP bar, lots of space for spells.

That's part of the standard UI.

> BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
> underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently the
> font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024 and
> probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to "Interface: 1300"
> as its out of date.

That's part of the standard UI, too :-)

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (46) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BottomBar - Adds a bar just above the XP bar, lots of space for spells.
>
>
> That's part of the standard UI.
>
>> BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
>> underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently
>> the font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024
>> and probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to
>> "Interface: 1300" as its out of date.
>
>
> That's part of the standard UI, too :-)
>

That's why I'm using flexbar. Scalable, movable, groupable. all that.

I am looking for a more intelligent weapon/stance/bar switch macro for
my hunter.

Currently I equip a Razor Axe of Agility ( 26 agi, 2,5 speed ) for
ranged. When they come to me I switch to my Hanzo sword and Julie's
Dagger. I want to do more when I swap.

I want to swap from/to the following states:

- Ranged :
- 2H axe for the stats
- Main button bar with all my stings and other ranged stuff
- Melee :
- 1 1H for fast damage and with julies dagger change to heal
- Main button bar has all survival stuff like raptor strike,
disengage, mongoose bite etc


The best would a macro which knwos your current state and swaps to the
other. I can script the weapon switch macro I have and propably could
easily find how to select another button bar.

The reason I want this is that it's easier to use keyboard than the
mouse in combat with the same keybindings for different stances.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
news:D 7eq3e$5kh$1@news.cistron.nl...
> Simon Nejmann wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
>>>would like to try it out.
>>>
>>>With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
>>>add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
>>
>>
>> Well, unlike EQ, WoW hasn't gotten any expansions yet, so just go buy
>> the basic World of Warcraft package at your local software shop and
>> you are good to go.
>>
>> As for add-ons, that really depend on you and the class you choose to
>> play - it is, however, very playable without, so just play a bit and
>> when you start thinking "Gah! Why can't the interface do <this>", then
>> try to go look for an add-on that does that.
>>
>>
>> As such I will only recomend a few very basic ones (and try without
>> them first):
>>
>> Cooldown Count - if one of your abilities is on cooldown, this one
>> writes one the toolbar button how long the remaining cooldown is.
>>
>> Equip Compare - when you get a item tooltip, this one puts the tooltip
>> for the item you are wearing up next to it, making comparison easier.
>>
>> Sell Value - adds a line to item tooltips with the items vendor sell
>> value, helps when you have a full backpack and you have to decide
>> which vendor item to destroy.
>>
>> Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php
>>
>
> Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you
> start playing is forget where you got the quest.
>
> These are some add-ons I find extremely usefull:
>
> - MapNotes. Create a note on your map with info.
> - MapCoord. Well any add on which displays coordinates.
> - Pet Feed ( yeah hunter myst have ). Automatically feeds your pet
> - Atlas ( maps of al the dungeons )
> - AlphaMap. Transparent map so you can walk around and see where you're
> walking
> - WeaponSwap. Switch from ranged to melee weapons with one button.
> - Sky. I party with the same 2 players every day. This way I can check
> their quests and compare with mine. Great add-on.
>
> I also use FlexBar but I suggest to leave that until you found out how you
> want to organize your buttons since it is hard to configure.

This is a good one... http://ui.worldofwar.net/ui.php?id=346
It remembers your auction prices so you dont have to reenter them over and
over.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> BuffTimers - Very helpful, see how many minutes are remaining just
>> underneath your buff (but not other peoples unfortunatly). Apparently
>> the font isn't correct for all resolutions but is fine for 1280x1024
>> and probably 1024x768, also you have to edit the .toc file to
>> "Interface: 1300" as its out of date.
>
> That's part of the standard UI, too :-)

The BuffTimers addon is a little nicer, though, it always displays the
time as mm:ss, rather than switching from minutes only to seconds when
it gets below 1 minute.

No biggie, but I got used to it and when Blizz added their timers to the
vanilla UI I stuck with the addon.

Cheers!
David...
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:18:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:18:26 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>The BuffTimers addon is a little nicer, though, it always displays the
>time as mm:ss, rather than switching from minutes only to seconds when
>it gets below 1 minute.
>
>No biggie, but I got used to it and when Blizz added their timers to the
>vanilla UI I stuck with the addon.

Yup, I dumped BuffTimers when Blizzard added their own timers, but I
hated their format. So I turned it off again and reinstalled
BuffTimers :) 

Ps. Even in the face of all the good suggestions presented in this
thread, I still retain that Rob (the OP) should abstain from
installing any add-ons at least in the beginning.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:44:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
news:D 7eq3e$5kh$1@news.cistron.nl...
>
> Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you start
> playing is forget where you got the quest.

In that case, how can someone do without QuestHistory? :)  It tells you exactly
where you got every quest you ever picked up, and if you have MapNotes too,
it'll put a pin in the map to show you where :) 

--
Paul
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:07:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Paul Catley ytrede sig i <3g1j9dFa82b0U1@individual.net> med dette:

>"Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
>news:D 7eq3e$5kh$1@news.cistron.nl...
>>
>> Geez, how can someone do without Mapnotes. The first thing you when you start
>> playing is forget where you got the quest.
>
>In that case, how can someone do without QuestHistory? :)  It tells you exactly
>where you got every quest you ever picked up, and if you have MapNotes too,
>it'll put a pin in the map to show you where :) 

You got a link to this add-on?
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he
can hear you only through the filter of the paradigm he holds."
-Myron Tribus
May 31, 2005 11:13:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
news:KTvme.15870$DC2.2121@okepread01...
> Greetings folks,
>
> I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
> would like to try it out.
>
> With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
> add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
>
> Could someone please tell me what software I'll need to get started?
>
> Thanks much in advance, Rob.
>

what expansions? There aren't any. Pick up a box that says "world of
warcraft" and install it....
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"ASKF" <nospam@askf.dk> wrote in message
news:v6sn91hv1o0c7iebv6ulemcom5avjl12hi@4ax.com...
>
> You got a link to this add-on?

No. Do a search for Quest History at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php

--
Paul
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:27:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:37:17 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

>Greetings folks,
>
>I'm EverQuested out!!!!! I've heard so much good about Warcraft that I
>would like to try it out.
>
>With all the different versions of software titles, expansion packs,
>add-ons, etc. I don't know what I need to get started playing Warcraft.
>
>Could someone please tell me what software I'll need to get started?
>
>Thanks much in advance, Rob.
>

There are two completely different "flavors" of Warcraft.

The flavor that has lots of versions and expansions are the games
Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. These are single player real time strategy
games. They have a nice storyline that goes from episode to episode
of the game. It's possible to play online, but nothing carries over
from session to session.

If you've been playing Everquest you are probably looking for World of
Warcraft, which is a similar massive online game. There's only one
version. Just buy WoW, install, enjoy. As with Everquest, there is
monthly fee.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:37:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> Get them, and many more, at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mo­d.php

Healers *need* to have CastParty. If you don't have it, you're playing
gimped. It's available from the same site.

Also, CTMod is a good package and is at http://www.ctmod.net Once
you're at a high enough level to be in raids, get CTRaid_Assist from
there, as well.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (21) on Stormrage [PvE]
June 1, 2005 5:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Many thanks to everyone for the responsiveness. I have concluded from all
the replies to my post that WOW has some really decent folks playing ...
that's another good thing to know up front.

One last question, what is the current monthly subscription fee to play
online?

Take care and thanks again, Rob
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:38:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Rob wrote:
> Many thanks to everyone for the responsiveness. I have concluded from
> all the replies to my post that WOW has some really decent folks
> playing ... that's another good thing to know up front.
>
> One last question, what is the current monthly subscription fee to
> play online?
>
> Take care and thanks again, Rob

www.Worldofwarcraft.com says:
month-to-month package at $14.99 per month
three-month plan at $13.99 per month
six-month plan at $12.99 per month

and www.wow-europe.com says:
month-by-month subscription costs 12.99?/£8.99 per month
3-month subscription costs 11.99?/£8.39 per month
six month subscription costs 10.99?/£7.69 per month

and there's one month of free playing time included with the game.

And by the way, those sites have lots of great info about the game if you
want to know more about. I just received my own copy in the mail today, so
I'll probably start playing this weekend.

HTH

Devast8or
!