Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video Card Upgrade, PC booting issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2012 3:37:10 PM

Hey all,

I am somewhat new to PC building. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated. I attempted to upgrade my PC with a new video card and run SLI. I am trying to run two of the "MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 470 1280 MB DDR5" video cards. My system ran one card perfectly, but I was bored and wanted a new project to see if I knew what I was doing. The MOBO im using is the ASUS Rampage III Gene. The power supply I am using is the Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 .

But my problem after installing the new video card is, when I go to boot up my computer, the power light comes on for a fraction of a second, then the computer shuts down immediately. I cant boot it up. So I am thinking this is a power supply issue, but I thought 750 watts would be ample. I am not sure how to trouble shoot. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Any suggestions on what to do? Do you need any more information from me?

This may be completely unrelated, but I also upgraded my RAM during the same installation. I used the Corsair XMS3 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz Kit 2x4GB.

Thanks!!!!

Best solution

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 3:59:49 PM

The power supply should be fine. Reseat all of the connections, bot hte PCI-e slot and the power slots on the cards.

Change your ram back to the original ram.

Are the cards new or second hand?
May 16, 2012 4:38:20 PM

Helltech said:
The power supply should be fine. Reseat all of the connections, bot hte PCI-e slot and the power slots on the cards.

Change your ram back to the original ram.

Are the cards new or second hand?

Ok, I will try this tonight after work. Thanks for the reply!

One video card I bought new about a year ago, but apparently they stopped making these cards. So I bought my most recent one slightly used. But it's from a reputable seller, do you think that is the issue?

Thanks again dude, I appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 4:52:37 PM

Have you tried running the used card by itself? That would tell you if it's got a issue.

m
l
May 16, 2012 7:15:19 PM

geekapproved said:
Have you tried running the used card by itself? That would tell you if it's got a issue.

Nah I haven't tried that. Tonight im going to try all of this, and just eliminate one possibility at a time. I'll put back in the RAM I was using prior. Ill run it with just my original, then just with the used card. Then both. I just wasn't sure where to start. Ill update this tomorrow morning. Thanks man!
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:21:37 AM

Best answer selected by lazlopanaflx.
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:30:37 AM

So I put back in my original RAM, and the PC will now power on and stay on. I may hove gotten bad sticks, or maybe my mobo doesn't support it, not sure but im looking in to that. Thanks! Unfortunately I have another issue.... Now my video input isn't being recognized. Nothing will display on my monitor.... I put the input in to both video cards. I disconnected my second video card and tried running just the original, I cant get any picture. The cards fan spins, so power is being run to it, but nothing is displayed to my monitor.

Any tips on trouble shooting this problem? Sorry to be a bother.
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:54:56 AM

Sorry, I marked this solved. Ill start a new thread with my question.
m
l
!