Sign in with
Your question

Difficulty Choosing a Motherboard for new build?

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2012 7:09:44 PM

I was watching a vid on how to overclock the i5 2500K as that is the CPU I am getting and saw a video tutorial on how to do it. Whilst doing his video he opened up the Bios and it was Asus Branded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40&feature=plcp

Here is the video above.

Anyway I am looking for a motherboard which will have the Asus Bios allowing me to overclock the i5 2500K.

My max budget for the motherboard is £100 and for it to be compatile with the i5 2500K and for it to fit in the Coolermaster Cm 690 II Nvidia Edition.

Thanks.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:41:35 PM

MacaulayRose7 said:
Yes I am definatley overclocking.
But how about this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z77-m-intel-z77-s...

Cheaper too?

P.S Now getting the i7 2600K I think.

That's an mATX board - I wouldn't get that if you plan to SLI. Get the full ATX version.

If you're going Z77 you should get the i5-3570K as it will allow you to use PCI Gen 3 for newer video cards.
July 9, 2012 11:11:14 PM

g-unit1111 said:
That's an mATX board - I wouldn't get that if you plan to SLI. Get the full ATX version.

If you're going Z77 you should get the i5-3570K as it will allow you to use PCI Gen 3 for newer video cards.

How about if I got the ivybridge version of the I7? I really am new to all this stuff so I have no idea what PCI gen 3 or SLI means.
Thanks
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 11:48:02 PM

MacaulayRose7 said:
How about if I got the ivybridge version of the I7? I really am new to all this stuff so I have no idea what PCI gen 3 or SLI means.
Thanks

If you're playing games, you won't need the extra threads that the i7 uses - that's made for multimedia editing applications.

SLI is a way to link two of the same card to use as one powerful card.

PCI 3.0 is the slot on your motherboard that your graphics card will hook into.
July 10, 2012 6:46:41 AM

g-unit1111 said:
If you're playing games, you won't need the extra threads that the i7 uses - that's made for multimedia editing applications.

SLI is a way to link two of the same card to use as one powerful card.

PCI 3.0 is the slot on your motherboard that your graphics card will hook into.

I will be doing a lot of editing though?
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 4:18:30 PM

MacaulayRose7 said:
I will be doing a lot of editing though?

If you're going to use your computer for video editing then yes the i7 will definitely be useful.
!