Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey,

I need help on my new build, this is what I've got so far:

Graphics Card: (x2) EVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper
Processor: Intel i7-3970x
Power Supply: Corsair Digital AX1200i Full Modular
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Now then, I need more stuff but I need a sound card first. Price doesn't matter as long as it's the best sound card out there...

PS: You can comment if you think the above is a good build or not. But Sound Card first!

The best soundcard, spec wise, is the ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX, followed closely by the ASUS Xonar Phoebus/Xense. Other options in that tier include the Creative Titanium HD, HT Omega Claro XT, and Auzentech Home Theatre HD.

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I bought a STX for $160, and Swan's M50W for $350. If you get a quality soundcard you need quality speakers and standard mass market crap from Logitech and Altec Lansing will not cut it. And yes, onboard is rubbish once you have a quality setup. Its like your 690, would you be satisfied with a 660? Same with sound. Which sadly is neglected by most gamers.

Thompaam

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Because it's onboard. Xonar STX is your best option.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

what kind of speakers/headphones are you going to use?

if your only using a cheap $30 set then it wont matter about getting a really good soundcard because you wont be able to hear the difference

Thompaam

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

This is also very important. Steelseries Siberia v2 or some "mainstream" gaming headset won't be able to use something like the Xonar STX's full potential. I'd recommend ATH-M50's and above

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I bought Swan's M50W which are a perfect match for the STX. They are "real" speakers and I couldn't be bothered spending more on a separate DAC, passive speakers and subwoofer and then putting it together and . . .. meh.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Fair enough.

I should have said passive and active, that's really what I meant about "real", Swan definitely have good quality by any standards. I can honestly say I'm in the same boat as you, Swan + sound card = ultimate win. Yep, can't be bothered setting it all up either.

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
So I'm going to use an excellent 5.1 speaker set or anything better (which you could recommend for me) and also the Astro A50 Headset. So I'm going to use both at variable times. I see that most pick the Asus Xonar STX so I might as well go for that...

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
So Maybe I should get a Logitech Z906 with Astro A50 Headset and a Asus Xonar STX Sound Card? Is that a good Config? What should I get instead?

Ok, hold up now. The STX has both a headphone amp and STEREO out, so that setup wouldn't work with 5.1 speakers. With that type of setup, you want both a headphone amp AND analog 5.1/7.1 out, in which case the ASUS Xonar Phoebus makes more sense, as it supplies both. You could also go with the ASUS Xonar ST (note: PCI) + H6 combo [the H6 card connects to the ST, providing 7.1 analog outputs].

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

So what should I swap? The Sound Card or the Speakers?

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Well if you have the money, the Swan M60 5.1 speakers are the way to go and I would go for the ASUS Xonar Phoebus. The speakers are around $900 here in Australia but they would leave the Z906's for dead.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm just saying if he has the money...

So people can spend $2000 on home theatre speakers but if they spend more time playing pc games and want quality speakers, it's a dumb idea? Quality pc speakers is a must if you want the best experience. I'm only pushing this view because yes, I have hooked up my pc to my home theatre and screw me dead, I was disappointed with the Logitech's after that...

Judging by the OP's choice of other pc parts, I'm offering him the best ;)

So I'm guessing the STX can do 5.1 via an adapter?

I understand what your saying.If he wants to spend that kind of money on that.Hey go for it. I am just saying he could get a kick ass setup for $500-$600 might not be overkill but he be spending far less. ;)

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
So, this is my final decision. Get the Asus RoG Xonar Pheobus with what speakers? I really need the best speakers out there...