Sign in with
Your question

Final Part List for gaming homebuild advice

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2012 7:38:57 PM

Hi there I've spent the last 3 weeks looking through reviews and threads and i think I've found my final parts list for my home build. I have used part picker to show what i am thinking of using but know that I can find some parts cheaper elesewhere. So, heres the list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.58 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.13 @ Amazon UK)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£302.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.67 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Antec 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£89.66 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£48.98 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £952.93
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
Antec High Gamer Unit 750w

I already have two optical drives and a all in 1 card reader from a previous system.

I was just wondering if all these parts are compatible with each other (from the research ive done, they seem to be) and if the size of the case will be alright for the mobo and the Noctua NH-D14. Also, as this is for gaming only, how do you think it will perform. I shall be overclocking the cpu to 4.2-4.7ghz and the gpu.

Im also in the market for a cheap wifi card that will go with the mobo.

So, what are your opinions on this setup. do you see any compatibility issues or anything that i could add to make this any better.

By the way, im using a 750w power supply as in 12-18 months time i will be adding another gtx 670. I look forward to your repplys.

July 9, 2012 7:43:26 PM

Also, I have already purchased the noctua Nh-D14 and was wondering if the heat sink paste that comes with it is good enough or should I get some aftermarket paste.
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2012 7:44:21 PM

bendy86 said:
Also, I have already purchased the noctua Nh-D14 and was wondering if the heat sink paste that comes with it is good enough or should I get some aftermarket paste.

I think the D14 includes MX-4 so there's no need.

That build looks good, but go with the EVGA 670 FTW version over the Zotac if you can get it.
Related resources
July 9, 2012 7:59:16 PM

Just out of interest, why the EVGA over ZOLTAC.
July 9, 2012 10:13:23 PM

Good to know I won't need to spend any extra on thermal paste.

Any advice on a wi-fi card that'll work with the motherboard.
July 10, 2012 6:00:21 PM

bendy86 said:
Just out of interest, why the EVGA over ZOLTAC.

Better support and 10 year warranty, nice OC-friendly tools included.

Quote:

Just get a USB-based wifi adapter. That's all you need.
July 10, 2012 7:17:14 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Better support and 10 year warranty, nice OC-friendly tools included.

Quote:

Just get a USB-based wifi adapter. That's all you need.

EVGA it is then. I never knew the warranty was that good but surely the warranty won't matter as it will be void once I overclock it.
July 11, 2012 3:07:02 PM

Well my noctua NH-d14 has arrived today and it's a beast. If this was a human, it would need a crane to get out of bed and would probably have a leg missing due to type 2 diabetes. It's certainly on the overweight size.

So that's the 1st part of my build delivered. I got this 1st as it was on offer for £34.99 delivered, which I thought was a bargain.

The question is now, what do I get next?
July 11, 2012 9:19:52 PM

bendy86 said:
EVGA it is then. I never knew the warranty was that good but surely the warranty won't matter as it will be void once I overclock it.

EVGA's actually one of the few that encourages overclocking - they even give you a pretty nice Windows program called "Precision" that allows you to overclock in Windows.

Quote:
The question is now, what do I get next?

Yeah the D14 is a beast. :lol: 

I'd say get the case next.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 9:32:03 PM

Honestly Zotac is pretty decent, I don't know if you'd ever really need a 10 year warranty on a video card (lets face it, in 4 years the video card is a brick in terms of performance). Although between EVGA and Zotac you can't really go wrong.

Those Noctua coolers, all I can say is I feel sorry for your motherboard, those things are huge. :D 
July 11, 2012 10:38:59 PM

It's a monster of a cooler. Quite unbelievable until you hold it. Heard they do the job though.
!