PSU overloading under high load

Atomiic

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I built this rig just recently, thinking I'd get a nice performance for the buck:

Pentium G860 3 GHz = 70€
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V = 70€
Kingston DDR3 2x 4 GB 1333 MHz = 41€
Tecnoware Black Core 550 W = 35€
Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti = 100€

Link to PSU (declared 384W and 32A on 12V line): http://www.tecnoware.com/Power-Fusion/Products/TECNOWARE-POWER-FUSION/PC-POWER-SUPPLY/CORE-550W/BLACK-CORE-550W-14-CM-PSU_846.html .

I was horrified when I put the gfx card under heavy load with Heaven benchmark and suddenly the PSU started to make wire-frying sounds (fortunately no sparks were coming out), the 14cm fan was barely spinning and pushing out hot air. When the benchmark finished, everything was OK again.
If I try to run Skyrim on ultra settings the same thing happens.

I can have it replaced under warranty, but I think the damn thing is just too rubbish to run the power hungry 550Ti (well, it was kinda cheapish). It does have a fuse in there, but I don't want to risk it frying my whole system.

Can you suggest me a decent PSU, for a good price? Remember, the tech stuff is about 30$ more expensive over here in my backwater country in EU :lol: . Also, I don't intend to add any other components to this PC, except for a SSD drive (I already have 2 HDDs installed).

festerovic

Distinguished
I would just toss the part. I read reviews saying its a budget design, and is fairly low quality.

As for new ones, anything by Corsair, Antec, PC Power and Cooling, and Silverstone will be a better choice.

Hi - feterovic was right on, go with a quality brand, such as the one's he listed (you can add XFX, & Enermax), something in the 430w - 550w
range is enough if you're not going to add another GPU to the system.

Tom

LOL - good catch - didn't notice Seasonic(I have the X-650) wasn't listed

Atomiic

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for tips guys. It seems my local store sells mostly crap like LC Power, Xilence, Chieftec, CoolerMaster, Gigabyte ... so I'll have to look into it a bit.

Yeah - I wouldn't suggest any of those brands. Probably more than any other component in
your system, the "You get what you pay for" cliche rings true.

Tom