Will my PSU handle this ?

I currently have an Asus HD 5670 but ill soon upgrade to HD 7850 2 GB Overlock edition But my question is, will my PSU handle this card ?

My specs are

CPU: Athlon II x4 640 with Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer cooler
RAM: 8 GB 1333 mhz
HDD: WD green 320 Gb
MOBO: Asrock 970DE3/U3S3
PSU: inter-tech sl-500a , it has 30 Amps at 12 volt rail wich is 360 watts and the 5 volt rail too has 30 amps.

So my question is will my PSU handle all of those hardwares or i should get stronger PSU ?
12 answers Last reply
More about will handle
  1. I'd get a better PSU, something like Corsair's TX 650 v2.
  2. ive just bought this graphics card and i know nothing about computers but the wesite recommended a 800w psu
  3. Will a Corsair 600W CX V2 80+ Be OK ?
  4. Alexzvs15 said:
    I currently have an Asus HD 5670 but ill soon upgrade to HD 7850 2 GB Overlock edition But my question is, will my PSU handle this card ?

    My specs are

    CPU: Athlon II x4 640 with Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer cooler
    RAM: 8 GB 1333 mhz
    HDD: WD green 320 Gb
    MOBO: Asrock 970DE3/U3S3
    PSU: inter-tech sl-500a , it has 30 Amps at 12 volt rail wich is 360 watts and the 5 volt rail too has 30 amps.

    So my question is will my PSU handle all of those hardwares or i should get stronger PSU ?


    Hi - You should be able to run a 7850 with 30a on the 12v rail. My only concern is:
    I don't know what the quality of the inter-tech brand is.
    There are brands of PSU's out there that don't deliver their rated specs (I had one)

    If you can afford to, you might consider upgrading the PSU. You don't need a high wattage unit
    if you're going to stick with one 7850. Stick with a quality brand; Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Enermax, PC Pwr & Cooling.
    Because of the water-cooling, you might want to get something in the 550-620w range.

    Tom
  5. The Builder versions of the Corsair power supplies are made with a lower quality oem. The tx, hx, and ax all use seasonic components. If you can get this power supply the tx650 on the cheap I'd say you are golden.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=tx650%20v2%20650w
  6. toyftw said:
    Hi - You should be able to run a 7850 with 30a on the 12v rail. My only concern is:
    I don't know what the quality of the inter-tech brand is.
    There are brands of PSU's out there that don't deliver their rated specs (I had one)

    If you can afford to, you might consider upgrading the PSU. You don't need a high wattage unit
    if you're going to stick with one 7850. Stick with a quality brand; Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Enermax, PC Pwr & Cooling.
    Because of the water-cooling, you might want to get something in the 550-620w range.

    Tom


    I think the Inter tech is crap quality because this PSU did cost just 10 dollars NEW !! So ill better get some Corsair 650 watt PSU
  7. Yea that is probably a wise move. Never go for a psu on the cheap unless its black friday/cyber monday and you know what you are buying :P
  8. bigshootr8 said:
    The Builder versions of the Corsair power supplies are made with a lower quality oem. The tx, hx, and ax all use seasonic components. If you can get this power supply the tx650 on the cheap I'd say you are golden.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=tx650%20v2%20650w


    Thanks, in that case ill buy the Corsair TX 650 80+ because it costs just 10 $ more than the CX 600.
  9. Yeah smart move, I have the exact same PSU (Corsair TX 650 v2) and it works like a charm, very silent too. I bought it from a computer shop specialized in gaming rigs and the techs there said it's the model they recommend most of the time, very good bang for the bucks.
  10. MC_K7 said:
    Yeah smart move, I have the exact same PSU (Corsair TX 650 v2) and it works like a charm, very silent too. I bought it from a computer shop specialized in gaming rigs and the techs there said it's the model they recommend most of the time, very good bang for the bucks.


    Agreed after that all you are getting beyond the tx (hx, ax) is a higher level of efficiency.

    @Alex
    yea well worth the extra 10 dollars.
  11. I have the 750 v2 and I agree. Quiet, and very well built (5yr warranty).
  12. bigshootr8 said:
    Agreed after that all you are getting beyond the tx (hx, ax) is a higher level of efficiency.

    @Alex
    yea well worth the extra 10 dollars.


    Ok Thanks all for the info, you guys helped me out :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies HD Components Product