And you thought u's (modest) proposal was extreme...

WARNING: for POWER-GAMER/PVP-ers; casual gamers or RP, stay away...

Title: 60th lvl mage in 7 days
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-mage&T=133340&P=1

The title may be a misnomer as people tended to confuse that 7 days
meant to be 7 game days rather than 7 RL days.

But the author, proxy (like u and probably other silent stealth readers
in this newsgroup), had demonstrated that it is possible to reach 60th
lvl through straight xp grinding, ignore all other aspects of game.
There is always time to smell those flowers later (or to create another
toon to do so; and unlike RL, your toon won't get old; you can always
revert to using just lvl 1 fireball when doing the deadmine naked).

Why?

1) To test out the new battleground in the open playtest area,
2) for the PVE-ers who wanted to try PvP and need to level up in a
hurry (yes, you know you want to, there is always someone you don't
mind blow him to bits, camp corpse, /spite on his bones)
3) for the up-coming hero classes(no, I don't know what they are, but I
am cetain that they are not available for 1st lvl noobes)
4) even for those who want to know where to grind xp and running out of
things to do
5) (hidden, elite) because you can

I'm sure many old-timers in this newsgroup have probably read it. So,
it is for the newcomers then... And if this topic has been discussed
to death before, I apology in advance....

I'm sure it has been discussed but the only reason I would see for
people to power-level like this is they've already played several
classes to 60, have completed all the quests and just want to get to
the high end content with a new class.. either that or they're trying
to break some kind of speed record!

Power-leveling straight away seems to me like missing the point of
playing a game.

Baruch, still only lvl30

Jonny Barr a écrit :
> I'm sure it has been discussed but the only reason I would see for
> people to power-level like this is they've already played several
> classes to 60, have completed all the quests and just want to get to
> the high end content with a new class.. either that or they're trying
> to break some kind of speed record!
>
> Power-leveling straight away seems to me like missing the point of
> playing a game.
>
> Baruch, still only lvl30

I concur.

But I'm so altaholic that I've started powerleveling up to level 20 ;)

sipping tea is one way
binging tea is another way
having tea is personal way

lol, like Babe, I'm also altaholic that I have dedicated 1 server
entirely on alliance toons and another server entirely on hordes and
alternate a week per server. I also find that not all quest rewards are
applicable to all class that sometime, it is better to grind xp to get
past x level hump rather than doing those quests that offer rewards
that don't really benefit your class other than to vendor or disenchant
it.

plus, there are always some useful tidbits you can gather from reading
such articles. In proxy's article, I've learned (as a mage) to do
strafle after casting frost nova which allow for 100% move rate rather
than traditional backing away which at 80% move rate.

"collection2002" <linch9@gmail.com> wrote in message
> WARNING: for POWER-GAMER/PVP-ers; casual gamers or RP, stay away...

Sorry not my type of play. I'm the kind of guy who sips his tea rather than
downing it, and with this game I take my time. I'll get to 60 just not in a
rush for it.

In article <1117527703.923596.89490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Jonny Barr" <jonny_a_b@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure it has been discussed but the only reason I would see for
> people to power-level like this is they've already played several
> classes to 60, have completed all the quests and just want to get to
> the high end content with a new class.. either that or they're trying
> to break some kind of speed record!
>
> Power-leveling straight away seems to me like missing the point of
> playing a game.
>
> Baruch, still only lvl30

Well, like Diablo II, once you've been through the game legit a few
times, you lose interest in the back story and the story arcs - some
people stop playing, some try different builds, some power level. Did'nt
the guy in question in this thread say he had interest in building toons
for battlegrounds, and was primarily interested in mages - he had'nt
done similar for Alliance, and did'nt know if his grinding spots would
be good for other toons. He also said he was done grinding.

I've been skipping quests and dungeons to save for later toons, and my
next toon will be Horde, so the game will stay fresh for me. It's taken
me this long to get to 45 on one toon, so I'll be playing a while. :) I
think it'll take me a while to get to where I need to power-level, which
is fine - by the time I get there, there will be expansions available,
and hopefully Bliz will get back on the ball with new content
monthly/weekly, like they promised.

mikel

Jonny Barr wrote:
> I'm sure it has been discussed but the only reason I would see for
> people to power-level like this is they've already played several
> classes to 60, have completed all the quests and just want to get to
> the high end content with a new class.. either that or they're trying
> to break some kind of speed record!
>
> Power-leveling straight away seems to me like missing the point of
> playing a game.

Doesn't seem that way to me. Seems like you should play it the way it
entertains you.

I play a lot, partly because my health is not so good; the game is a
good way to socialize without having to do things I physically can't do.
So I have a lot of opportunity to try different modes of play.

I have created about 25 characters. I play about six of them regularly.
Three of them are level 35 or above; one is level 60. I've been through
most of the quests in the game, and most of the instances. It's been
fun. But I am looking for other kinds of fun, too.

One solution is the gnome RP guild I helped create; that's a blast. Very
intense RP built on comedy. Every session is a hoot.

Another solution is PVP. I'm enjoying that a lot, but at a certain point
I decided that my existing characters were not ideal for it. I have a
level 60 mage on an RP server; I've played a fair amount of PVP there,
but the easiest way to do that is to go to Tarren Mill, where the
Alliance PVPers continually camp, and, frankly, I think it's kind of
boring to be on the Alliance side on Tarren Mill on Feathermoon, because
the Alliance outnumbers the Horde so badly there that it's like
shooting ducks in a barrel. Boring.

I can go over to Bleeding Hollow to my troll characters, but I created
them to participate in an RP guild called Tooska Tribe; despite being on
a PVP server, those characters are really intended for RP, and there are
several reasons that means they are not ideal for PVP. The biggest one
is that I am just not as skilled with rogues, shamans, and warriors as I
am with mages. A second, equally important, factor is that they are part
of an RP guild with rules about how to behave when playing. Those rules
enhance the RP experience, but present some additional obstacles to
successful PVP. For example, I can't group much with undead characters,
because Tooska trolls hate and fear the undead. (No doubt some PVP
players will object to this and think it's dumb, but I don't care.
Remember, I like RP, and I'm on that server because that's where
Tooska--and Shadowclan--are.)

So I made a new Undead mage on Bleeding Hollow specifically for the
purpose of PVP. For that character I don't care at all about RP; I just
want to get to 60 as efficiently as I can comfortably do it, so I can
practice my PVP skills. They're already not too bad, as measured by
one-on-one and small-group fights on Feathermoon with my 60 mage there,
but for reasons that should be obvious, the general level of PVP skill
is higher on Bleeding Hollow, and it's *much* easier to find a good
fight. I expect to get my ass kicked a lot and really improve my PVP
skills with this new mage, and I want him at level 60 fast.

So I'll grind. And it's nice to have the guide to help me grind
efficiently.

I'm not missing the point; I'm getting all the *different* points. There
are different ways to enjoy the game, and I'm trying them all out as I
find them. So far my favorite ways to enjoy it are to play an
RP-intensive character in a good RP-intensive guild on an RP server, and
to play a straight PVP character in a good PVP-oriented guild on a PVP
server. A friend of mine prefers level-60 raiding in high-level
instances in a huge loot-oriented guild; turns out I really don't enjoy
that very much. But he does, so I'm not going to say he's missing the
point just because I enjoy something different.

Tim wrote:

> Really worth trying it out if ur a hordie imo. I mean, I spent almost 30
> days to get lvl 60 for first char, feels like it would be nice to have 3-4
> chars at lvl 60 by then :p

There is also a guide in WoW's Rogue forum that talked about Alliance
side. But unlike proxy's 60th lvl in 7 days, it combined quests,
instances and grinding so it may take you twice as long (as Proxy) to
reach 60th lvl. But it does tell you where to grind on the alliance
side. I do not remember the link offhand, but it was listed on page 31
of that mage forum

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-mage&T=133340&P=31

mikel wrote:
> collection2002 wrote:
>
> [...snip...]
>
> > I myself have an undead mage @ skywall that I used to test out the
> > theory of grinding to 60th lvl in 7 days
>
> How's that working out for you?

Yogojunzo is 18th and 2/3 away from next level. He is my first Horde
toon at Skywall so he wasn't gifted with twinks and golds. So far, his
gaming time is about @ 17th hours. He has been grinding at Dry Hill at
Barren since level 15, though he tried to grind at Bristleback for a
while. The experience at Bristleback isn't as good as Dry Hill so he
switched back after getting 2 quests completed there.

The biggest difference is thos bristleback shoots back :) Unlike
harpies who flied toward you to give you time to fire off 3 - 4
fireballs and finished them off with fireblast/wand combo. Bristleback
fired back from a distance. It is something I can handle, but on top of
that, their attacks contained poison which really increased downtime.
Since you can't really bandage the poison wound, you wind up eating &
drinking. On average, I can kill 2 Bristlebacks vs. 4 Harpies before
refuel. So once I collected those 60 tusks, I hearthed back to x-road
to cash them in for my +4 spirit cloak and headed back to Dry Hill and
stayed there ever since.

On average, I spend 90 minutes per level at Dry Hill. And earned enough
booties that he has 4 silk backpacks to carry those loots. I would have
gotten the 14-slot bag too, but 20th lvl is a big spell investment for
mage so I better off saving those coppers.

Yogojunzo have gotten good shares of green drops which he shipped to
his mule at AH. Vasquez, female orc warrior, auctioned anything that's
not a warrior drops. Then she off to adventure with newly twinked item
or to do quests to get enough xp to be eligible to use the twinked
item.

Yogojunzo has no primary professions and had only First Aid which allow
a quick recovery if his previous battle with harpy dropped his health
by 50% or less.

I never know fire-spec mage can be that fun :) I also experiemented
with other spells but anything other than
fireball-fireball-fireball-fireblast-fireball combo is too time
consuming. Plus, I get to exerpiment on handling 2 mobs at a time. I
think I'm ready to handle an elite 1 level above me, Sista Ruthford.

On average, I spend about almost an hour and half in real time with him
grinding before switched to another toon for a break or simply log off
WoW.

> I'm not going to hit 60 in seven days, because I have other things to
> do, and because I just don't want to work that hard at grinding.
> However, without trying all that hard, I created my character late
> Sunday night, and last night he was at level 21. I figure level 1 to
> level 21 in three days of not trying very hard is pretty good.

Well, technically, you should only count the game time. So it may not
be 3 real life day. Otherwise, I have been ... 3 days just like you :)
There is a command that you can type to check how much time you have
spend on this character and how much time he has been at x level. I
don't remember it on top off my head :(

Tim wrote:
> Really worth trying it out if ur a hordie imo. I mean, I spent almost 30
> days to get lvl 60 for first char, feels like it would be nice to have
> 3-4 chars at lvl 60 by then :p

I guess it depends on whether you think that the getting to
60th level is a destination or a journey. I've been on trips
before that were set up to visit 7 European cities in 5 days
or similar garbage, and frankly I found them to be a lot like
work.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

mikel

Nathan Engle wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> Really worth trying it out if ur a hordie imo. I mean, I spent almost
>> 30 days to get lvl 60 for first char, feels like it would be nice to
>> have 3-4 chars at lvl 60 by then :p
>

> I guess it depends on whether you think that the getting to
> 60th level is a destination or a journey. I've been on trips
> before that were set up to visit 7 European cities in 5 days
> or similar garbage, and frankly I found them to be a lot like
> work.

I'm doing it with one character and having fun. I'm not grinding hard
enough to hit 60 in 7 days--that would be too much like work. Basically,
I take an hour here and there and grind like crazy for that hour, then
stop and do do something else. I've done 21 levels in three days.

Thing I notice about it is that it kind of feels like the skills drills
in martial arts training. With repetition, my timing and precision with
my controls is getting much much better, and that's enough fun that
sometimes I almost forget that I'm supposed to be grinding. And since I
grind on the same mobs repeatedly for quite a while, I get to try out
various tactics and compare them fairly clearly. And then when I go do
something else and, say, run into a ganker, sure enough, my skills are
noticeably better.

I wouldn't have bothered with this if I didn't already know pretty much
all the quests very well from previous characters, and if I didn't
specifically create this character for PVP purposes. But I'm having more
fun with it than I expected.

mikel

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>>collection2002 wrote:
>>
>>[...snip...]
>>

>>>I myself have an undead mage @ skywall that I used to test out the
>>>theory of grinding to 60th lvl in 7 days
>>
>>How's that working out for you?
>>

> Yogojunzo is 18th and 2/3 away from next level. He is my first Horde
> toon at Skywall so he wasn't gifted with twinks and golds. So far, his
> gaming time is about @ 17th hours. He has been grinding at Dry Hill at
> Barren since level 15, though he tried to grind at Bristleback for a
> while. The experience at Bristleback isn't as good as Dry Hill so he
> switched back after getting 2 quests completed there.

I tried both and had good luck with both. At level 15-18, the harpies
went faster for me. Level 19-21 the bristlebacks go faster for me. My
favorite thing right now is a cluster of Bristleback Water Seekers. They
don't shoot, they run to melee range, and I can generally kill them just
as they reach me, so I kill three or four and then pause to loot, and
then keep going, with minimal downtime.

I went slower for a while, because I used the grinding to try out
various tactics. Like fireball fireblast frost nova blink fireball. That
sort of thing is unnecessary with these mobs, but practicing it made it
much easier to use with players, where it is actually useful.

> The biggest difference is thos bristleback shoots back :) Unlike
> harpies who flied toward you to give you time to fire off 3 - 4
> fireballs and finished them off with fireblast/wand combo. Bristleback
> fired back from a distance. It is something I can handle, but on top of
> that, their attacks contained poison which really increased downtime.

It does, though at level 21 I'm finding I can pretty much ignore the
poison arrows. I do spend a bit more time eating and drinking between
kills. Main reason I don't like the hunters as much is I can't get them
to run right up to me and die at my feet the way I can with water
seekers, so it's slower looting them.

> Since you can't really bandage the poison wound, you wind up eating &
> drinking. On average, I can kill 2 Bristlebacks vs. 4 Harpies before
> refuel. So once I collected those 60 tusks, I hearthed back to x-road
> to cash them in for my +4 spirit cloak and headed back to Dry Hill and
> stayed there ever since.
>
> On average, I spend 90 minutes per level at Dry Hill. And earned enough
> booties that he has 4 silk backpacks to carry those loots. I would have
> gotten the 14-slot bag too, but 20th lvl is a big spell investment for
> mage so I better off saving those coppers.

Yeah, the loot from doing this is pretty nice, eh? I knew that before,
to an extent; my level 60 mage farms the elite ogres outside Dire Maul
all the time and makes a bundle doing it. I guess I hadn't realized what
a good income strategy it is for lower levels too.

> Yogojunzo have gotten good shares of green drops which he shipped to
> his mule at AH. Vasquez, female orc warrior, auctioned anything that's
> not a warrior drops. Then she off to adventure with newly twinked item
> or to do quests to get enough xp to be eligible to use the twinked
> item.
>
> Yogojunzo has no primary professions and had only First Aid which allow
> a quick recovery if his previous battle with harpy dropped his health
> by 50% or less.

I joined a PVP-oriented guild right away, and have involved myself with
it, so I'm doing things other than grinding. This is my second mage to
use mining and engineering as professions; there are several engineering
gadgets that are handy for mages. Lenses, spyglasses, explosives, and
combat mechanicals are all useful. Not to mention Goblin Jumper Cables.

> I never know fire-spec mage can be that fun :) I also experiemented
> with other spells but anything other than
> fireball-fireball-fireball-fireblast-fireball combo is too time
> consuming. Plus, I get to exerpiment on handling 2 mobs at a time. I
> think I'm ready to handle an elite 1 level above me, Sista Ruthford.
>
> On average, I spend about almost an hour and half in real time with him
> grinding before switched to another toon for a break or simply log off
> WoW.
>

>>I'm not going to hit 60 in seven days, because I have other things to
>>do, and because I just don't want to work that hard at grinding.
>>However, without trying all that hard, I created my character late
>>Sunday night, and last night he was at level 21. I figure level 1 to
>>level 21 in three days of not trying very hard is pretty good.
>

> Well, technically, you should only count the game time. So it may not
> be 3 real life day. Otherwise, I have been ... 3 days just like you :)
> There is a command that you can type to check how much time you have
> spend on this character and how much time he has been at x level. I
> don't remember it on top off my head :(

/played

collection2002 wrote:

> mikel wrote:
>
>>collection2002 wrote:
>>
>>[...snip...]
>>

>>>I myself have an undead mage @ skywall that I used to test out the
>>>theory of grinding to 60th lvl in 7 days
>>
>>How's that working out for you?
>>

> Yogojunzo is 18th and 2/3 away from next level. He is my first Horde
> toon at Skywall so he wasn't gifted with twinks and golds. So far, his
> gaming time is about @ 17th hours. He has been grinding at Dry Hill at
> Barren since level 15, though he tried to grind at Bristleback for a
> while. The experience at Bristleback isn't as good as Dry Hill so he
> switched back after getting 2 quests completed there.

My melee beastmaster reached level 20 after about 19 hours, and that was
by doing quests mostly. At level 1 she left the Valley of Trials and
went directly to Mulgore for RP reasons. Being an orc, the pet quest was
in Durotar so she had to go back there. I then went back to Mulgore to
pick up the Rake, my pet. At level 20 she was ready to take on the
Wailing Caverns, which she finished at level 22 in one long evening (24
hours gaming time). I had lost some time there though, playing with a
newbie group of people, but had the most fun running it through with a
naked priest casting only shields, a lightning bolt-only shaman, a
one-handed sword/no shield/no taunt warrior and a blizzard mage.

I needed the Wingblade to go on. But then I also wanted to up my cooking
and leatherworking skill. And I needed to do some solo PVP in Redridge
Mountains. In the end of the first week, I reached Scout honour level
with 30 HK and level 28 (two days, 17 hours). So long for the fast
levelling, I had given it up at level 25 when I did my trip to Redridge.

The barrens are full of quests. It's generally a bad idea to not do
them. But you have to chain them in the proper order. I've played 7
characters through the Barrens now, and know exactly what

My quickest level and best grind was Samophlange. Went there at level
16, and went back to northern ashenvale at level 17. I'd advise to do
the grind there: the respawn rate is awesome, and the XP is good. It
might be hard to handle it with a mage though.

I've also raised a warrior - who reached level 25 in 34 hours, by
questing mostly (and dying a lot in the process).

I'd be glad if you can use these basis as a means of comparison - just
to see how far is it better to grind rather than quest.

mikel wrote:

> I tried both and had good luck with both. At level 15-18, the harpies
> went faster for me. Level 19-21 the bristlebacks go faster for me. My
> favorite thing right now is a cluster of Bristleback Water Seekers. They
> don't shoot, they run to melee range, and I can generally kill them just
> as they reach me, so I kill three or four and then pause to loot, and
> then keep going, with minimal downtime.

You do have lucks, maybe it is the timing since I was doing the
Bristleback on memorial day afternoon. There were lots of traffics
there at the Bristleback since it is right above Camp turanjo and lots
of quests involved those boars. Toward the end of my tusk quest, I've
been gunning for the Water Seekers as well. But I wasn't able to kill
them quick enough and usually took a hit or two before finished them
off. Then 50% of time, I've been poisoned.

> I went slower for a while, because I used the grinding to try out
> various tactics. Like fireball fireblast frost nova blink fireball. That
> sort of thing is unnecessary with these mobs, but practicing it made it
> much easier to use with players, where it is actually useful.

You got blink? I guess you get it at 20th lvl, then. I've tried some
variety of tactics too but I don't use frost nova, strafle fireball. I
found the time and the manna used on frost nova-strifle fireball is not
much better just stand there doing fireblast-fireball. Only when 2 or
more mobs decended upon me then I would used frost nova and run away. I
guess that's a typical tactic for mage.

> It does, though at level 21 I'm finding I can pretty much ignore the
> poison arrows. I do spend a bit more time eating and drinking between
> kills. Main reason I don't like the hunters as much is I can't get them
> to run right up to me and die at my feet the way I can with water
> seekers, so it's slower looting them.

Exactly. I don't mind trading shots with them because when I ran toward
them, I recovered my manna. It is the poison that I hate. Ill be
skipping them alltogether and go straight for those dwarves upon
reaching 20th lvl.

> Yeah, the loot from doing this is pretty nice, eh? I knew that before,
> to an extent; my level 60 mage farms the elite ogres outside Dire Maul
> all the time and makes a bundle doing it. I guess I hadn't realized what
> a good income strategy it is for lower levels too.

Yes it is :) And bags got filled very quickly too. I'm so glad that I
bypassed the 8-slot bags and go straight for the 10-slotters. Likewise,
after 20th lvl spell spulrge, I will be saving money to buy 14-slot
bags.

Inevitably always upon reaching a level, I have to hearth back to
x-road to sell or ship those loots and have my equipment repaired. If
the new level is an even number, then I have to make additional trip to
Ogimarr to see what new spell I get. Then when I tested those new
spells out at Dry Hill, I would wish those mage trainers should have 30
minutes return policy so I can return those spells and get my money
back, lol.

> I joined a PVP-oriented guild right away, and have involved myself with
> it, so I'm doing things other than grinding. This is my second mage to
> use mining and engineering as professions; there are several engineering
> gadgets that are handy for mages. Lenses, spyglasses, explosives, and
> combat mechanicals are all useful. Not to mention Goblin Jumper Cables.

Can you use Goblin Jumper Cables on yourself when you die? It is not
like Warlock's soulstone, is it?

I used other toon to do social/questing/building stuff. Yogojunzo will
stirctly be a grinder for me to see how well I am doing by following
the proposed guideline.

> > Well, technically, you should only count the game time. So it may not
> > be 3 real life day. Otherwise, I have been ... 3 days just like you :)
> > There is a command that you can type to check how much time you have
> > spend on this character and how much time he has been at x level. I
> > don't remember it on top off my head :(
>
> /played

nah, can't be, too obvious :)

Babe Bridou wrote:

> My melee beastmaster reached level 20 after about 19 hours, and that was
> by doing quests mostly. At level 1 she left the Valley of Trials and
>
>/snipe

I conceded that it is not much advantage so far by following the guide.
My undead mage spend most of his time at Teldariss Glade and was doing
okay until the last part of At War with Crusader. Assault the keep near
Scarlet Monestary is not fun for a 12th lvl mage. After 3rd corpse run,
he focused his anger on those murlocs below instead. At 14th lvl, he
visited barren and tried his hand at Razormane. Geomancer, he had no
problem handle it, basically we trade fireball and see who left
standing. It was those hunters with ther pet wolves that annoyed him.
Pet wolve distracted while hunter shoot. After couple rounds with
Razormane, he went to check in inn at x-road.

> The barrens are full of quests. It's generally a bad idea to not do
> them. But you have to chain them in the proper order. I've played 7
> characters through the Barrens now, and know exactly what

Same here. I picked up and completed Centaur bracers, Centaur boss
head, investigate forgotten pool, and mushroom @ forgotten pool quests
on route to Dry Hill. And I hanged around forgotten pool for 2 level of
grinding to get those centaur loot key drops :)

I picked up and completed 60-tusks, fallen companion quests while doing
the Bristleback.

Normally, I would pick up raptor heads, plain-striders beaks, stolen
silver, and 2 razormane quests as well. But I hate to leave those
skinnable corpses around since I don't skin anymore, so I didn't picked
them. And I just got my bony asses kicked couple times by those
razormane hunters that I don't feel like doing it.

Even at Durotar, my alt toon, Vasquez, orc warrior, picked up all those
quest at razor hill before headed for senja village and able to
complete 5 quests related to echo isles. And on her way back to razor
hill, she also completed burning those plans, killing human captain and
his merry marines et sailors, and razormane quests. I understand
completedly of how to chain those quests :) Therefore, I want to see
if I can do it better by straight grinding.

> I've also raised a warrior - who reached level 25 in 34 hours, by
> questing mostly (and dying a lot in the process).

damn you, don't make me go and create a holy-spec troll priestess :)

on the otherhand, I created a human warrior who reached level 14 in 8
hours of doing combo quests/grinding. He had helped from his more
experienced toons by receiving free twinks, silk bags, medium armor
kit, and some home-made leather cloak & bracer.

> I'd be glad if you can use these basis as a means of comparison - just
> to see how far is it better to grind rather than quest.

Yes, I would like that :) If you don't mind, can you screen-captured
your toon with /played at every 5 level interval?

mikel wrote:

> If someone else has killed all the Water Seekers, you can go north a bit
> and kill Thornweavers until the Water Seekers respawn.

I understand where you coming from. Plus, Bristleback is just a bit
north of Camp Turanj that you can do a quick run back to vendor and/or
shipt stuff to your mule with little time lost. It sure is a long run
to Dry Hill from XRoad.

> Right. As I said, it's not the most efficient way to grind. Rather, it's
> a good way to try out tactics I might want to use against players, and
> see how the tactic work, and practice getting good with them. Grinding
> can be used for more than one purpose. :)

lol, I'm try to survive PvE, less alone get myself prep up for PvP.

> I did that at first, and then found that I could still generate
> experience faster with the Bristlebacks up through level 21. At 22 I
> switched to the dwarves, because at that point I was generating
> experience faster with them.

k, guess I will try the Bristleback from 20 - 22 then.

> I don't do that. I don't go to train unless I know in advance that I'm
> going to get something I really want (like Blink or Scorch). It's easy
> enough to find lists of the spells available at each level, and I have a
> level 60 mage, so I know which ones I really want. I mail my items for
> auction to a mule (I have a level 1 Warlock named Muley who just stands
> at the mailbox in Orgrimmar).

Ah, that's why it is always crowded at the mailbox in Orgrimmar. Silly
me, I have her run back to the inn across the street prior logoff.

> No. Jumper cables only work on someone else, and they fail to work more
> often than they work. But having theem is better than not having them.

k, that's right, your mage is more than just grinding so you are doing
quests with others. That's where the jumper cables make sense. Else I
will be wonder why you need the jumper cable when you grinding on your
own.

> I'm having fun with this. I expect Creach to be level 60 fairly soon,
> and then I can use him for the purpose he was designed for: PVP.

SO what's his level : /played ratio so far?

> My level 60 mage is on Feathermoon, an RP server. On Feathermoon I was

I'm never good at PvP. But I want to see or participate upcoming
Battleground, so I like to have someone ready when it becomes available.

mikel

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>

>>I tried both and had good luck with both. At level 15-18, the harpies
>>went faster for me. Level 19-21 the bristlebacks go faster for me. My
>>favorite thing right now is a cluster of Bristleback Water Seekers. They
>>don't shoot, they run to melee range, and I can generally kill them just
>>as they reach me, so I kill three or four and then pause to loot, and
>>then keep going, with minimal downtime.
>>

> You do have lucks, maybe it is the timing since I was doing the
> Bristleback on memorial day afternoon. There were lots of traffics
> there at the Bristleback since it is right above Camp turanjo and lots
> of quests involved those boars. Toward the end of my tusk quest, I've
> been gunning for the Water Seekers as well. But I wasn't able to kill
> them quick enough and usually took a hit or two before finished them
> off. Then 50% of time, I've been poisoned.

If someone else has killed all the Water Seekers, you can go north a bit
and kill Thornweavers until the Water Seekers respawn.

>>I went slower for a while, because I used the grinding to try out
>>various tactics. Like fireball fireblast frost nova blink fireball. That
>>sort of thing is unnecessary with these mobs, but practicing it made it
>>much easier to use with players, where it is actually useful.
>>

> You got blink? I guess you get it at 20th lvl, then.

Yes.

> [...]

>>use mining and engineering as professions; there are several engineering
>>gadgets that are handy for mages. Lenses, spyglasses, explosives, and
>>combat mechanicals are all useful. Not to mention Goblin Jumper Cables.
>>

> Can you use Goblin Jumper Cables on yourself when you die? It is not
> like Warlock's soulstone, is it?

No. Jumper cables only work on someone else, and they fail to work more
often than they work. But having theem is better than not having them.

> I used other toon to do social/questing/building stuff. Yogojunzo will
> stirctly be a grinder for me to see how well I am doing by following
> the proposed guideline.

I'm having fun with this. I expect Creach to be level 60 fairly soon,
and then I can use him for the purpose he was designed for: PVP.

My level 60 mage is on Feathermoon, an RP server. On Feathermoon I was
an okay PVPer. On Bleeding Hollow I'm not very good. The same kinds of
fights I could easily win on Feathermoon, I struggle to survive in on
Bleeding Hollow. The level of skill in PVP is just higher on Bleeding
Hollow. No surprise--it's a PVP server. So I'm looking forward to
getting my butt kicked until I learn how to play better.

mikel

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>>If someone else has killed all the Water Seekers, you can go north a bit
>>and kill Thornweavers until the Water Seekers respawn.
>>

> I understand where you coming from. Plus, Bristleback is just a bit
> north of Camp Turanj that you can do a quick run back to vendor and/or
> shipt stuff to your mule with little time lost. It sure is a long run
> to Dry Hill from XRoad.
>

>>Right. As I said, it's not the most efficient way to grind. Rather, it's
>>a good way to try out tactics I might want to use against players, and
>>see how the tactic work, and practice getting good with them. Grinding
>>can be used for more than one purpose. :)
>>

> lol, I'm try to survive PvE, less alone get myself prep up for PvP.
>

>>I did that at first, and then found that I could still generate
>>experience faster with the Bristlebacks up through level 21. At 22 I
>>switched to the dwarves, because at that point I was generating
>>experience faster with them.
>>

> k, guess I will try the Bristleback from 20 - 22 then.
>

>>I don't do that. I don't go to train unless I know in advance that I'm
>>going to get something I really want (like Blink or Scorch). It's easy
>>enough to find lists of the spells available at each level, and I have a
>>level 60 mage, so I know which ones I really want. I mail my items for
>>auction to a mule (I have a level 1 Warlock named Muley who just stands
>>at the mailbox in Orgrimmar).
>>

> Ah, that's why it is always crowded at the mailbox in Orgrimmar. Silly
> me, I have her run back to the inn across the street prior logoff.
>

>>No. Jumper cables only work on someone else, and they fail to work more
>>often than they work. But having theem is better than not having them.
>>

> k, that's right, your mage is more than just grinding so you are doing
> quests with others. That's where the jumper cables make sense. Else I
> will be wonder why you need the jumper cable when you grinding on your
> own.

Right, I'm doing other stuff, like supporting my guildies, helping on
instance runs, leveling bewbies, and so on. None of that stuff produces
very much experience for me.

>>I'm having fun with this. I expect Creach to be level 60 fairly soon,
>>and then I can use him for the purpose he was designed for: PVP.
>>

> SO what's his level : /played ratio so far?

It won't be interesting or impressive, because of all the non-grinding
stuff I do.

More interesting would be my best rate. Right now (level 22) my best
rate is at Bael Modan, killing excavators and foremen. Grinding there I
generate one bar of exp every five minutes, which is a rate of about
16380 points an hour. It's been five days of real time since I created
Creach, and he's halfway form level 22 to 23, which is not bad. How fast
I get to 60 is going to depend on how much play time I have, and how
much of it I spend doing guild stuff rather than grinding.

>>My level 60 mage is on Feathermoon, an RP server. On Feathermoon I was
>

> I'm never good at PvP. But I want to see or participate upcoming
> Battleground, so I like to have someone ready when it becomes available.

PVP is harder than PVE in my experience. You can figure out the mobs.
Actual people are much harder to figure out. Some of them are really
good fighters, and you would like to fight them a bunch of times to
figure out how to beat them, but you don't always have that chance. They
beat you and leave, or they camp your corpse so you don't get a real
chance at them, or you get ganked by a big group or someone too many
levels above you.

Dueling is pretty good, though, if you can make friends with a few
people who are good fighters and who will let you duel with them over
and over and give you tips on how to beat them. I've done that with
several people before, and seen people (including me) get better very
rapidly. I even managed to do it once with an enemy: I was playing a
gnome mage and a passing orc warrior challenged me (this was on the RP
server). We were both upper 50s. He beat me, so I came back, saluted,
bowed, asked him to wait, charged back up, and challenged him. We did
this several times until I figured out how to beat him consistently. I
thought that was right neighborly of him.

I asked my guild leaders and they said they want to set up some events
to do this kind of thing. With any luck, that will happen. It's a good
way to get better at PVP.

mikel

mikel wrote:
> collection2002 wrote:

>> SO what's his level : /played ratio so far?
>

> It won't be interesting or impressive, because of all the non-grinding
> stuff I do.
>
> More interesting would be my best rate. Right now (level 22) my best
> rate is at Bael Modan, killing excavators and foremen. Grinding there I
> generate one bar of exp every five minutes, which is a rate of about
> 16380 points an hour.

So if that assessment was correct then it should have taken me around
100 minutes to go from level 22 to level 23. When I hit 23, I consulted
/played.

It told me I had been level 22 for 3 hours and 58 minutes. Considering I
spent 2 and a half hours in Wailing Caverns generating very little
experience, that's about right.

I watched the clock again at Bael Modan for a bit after I hit level 23,
and I found that it's still taking around 5-6 minutes to fill a bar of
experience. So it's still a pretty good spot at 23.

collection2002 wrote:
> Babe Bridou wrote:
>

>>My melee beastmaster reached level 20 after about 19 hours, and that was
>>by doing quests mostly. At level 1 she left the Valley of Trials and
>>
>>/snipe
>

> I conceded that it is not much advantage so far by following the guide.
> My undead mage spend most of his time at Teldariss Glade and was doing
> okay until the last part of At War with Crusader. Assault the keep near
> Scarlet Monestary is not fun for a 12th lvl mage. After 3rd corpse run,
> he focused his anger on those murlocs below instead. At 14th lvl, he
> visited barren and tried his hand at Razormane. Geomancer, he had no
> problem handle it, basically we trade fireball and see who left
> standing. It was those hunters with ther pet wolves that annoyed him.
> Pet wolve distracted while hunter shoot. After couple rounds with
> Razormane, he went to check in inn at x-road.
>

>>The barrens are full of quests. It's generally a bad idea to not do
>>them. But you have to chain them in the proper order. I've played 7
>>characters through the Barrens now, and know exactly what
>>

> Same here. I picked up and completed Centaur bracers, Centaur boss
> head, investigate forgotten pool, and mushroom @ forgotten pool quests
> on route to Dry Hill. And I hanged around forgotten pool for 2 level of
> grinding to get those centaur loot key drops :)
>
> I picked up and completed 60-tusks, fallen companion quests while doing
> the Bristleback.
>
> Normally, I would pick up raptor heads, plain-striders beaks, stolen
> silver, and 2 razormane quests as well. But I hate to leave those
> skinnable corpses around since I don't skin anymore, so I didn't picked
> them. And I just got my bony asses kicked couple times by those
> razormane hunters that I don't feel like doing it.
>
> Even at Durotar, my alt toon, Vasquez, orc warrior, picked up all those
> quest at razor hill before headed for senja village and able to
> complete 5 quests related to echo isles. And on her way back to razor
> hill, she also completed burning those plans, killing human captain and
> his merry marines et sailors, and razormane quests. I understand
> completedly of how to chain those quests :) Therefore, I want to see
> if I can do it better by straight grinding.
>

>>I've also raised a warrior - who reached level 25 in 34 hours, by
>>questing mostly (and dying a lot in the process).
>>

> damn you, don't make me go and create a holy-spec troll priestess :)
>
> on the otherhand, I created a human warrior who reached level 14 in 8
> hours of doing combo quests/grinding. He had helped from his more
> experienced toons by receiving free twinks, silk bags, medium armor
> kit, and some home-made leather cloak & bracer.
>

>>I'd be glad if you can use these basis as a means of comparison - just
>>to see how far is it better to grind rather than quest.
>>

> Yes, I would like that :) If you don't mind, can you screen-captured
> your toon with /played at every 5 level interval?

Better: I'll enter the race. Same character, undead mage, you grind, I
quest. Let's see who's faster :)

My mage just reached level 12, and much like you, left behind a couple
boring quests in Tirisfal Glades, but instead of going to the Barrens,
she stayed in Silverpine Forest to go on with the story (and thanks to
the level ?? dwarf paladin who dishonorably killed the guy I was
escorting on my way there, bur yourself, beersack). I'll pick
screenshots - every time I pick a quest, and every time I complete one.
Will add a /played macro