Restrict a user to use one application

I would like to restrict one user (my son) to use one specific application
which is used to frequently. I found some instructions on internet (see
below) of how to use regedit to do this.

I don't understand how I set which user (or group) to be restricted and
which one not.
Must the user have a limited account for restrictions to work? Do I need to
run regedit from the users login to affectuate the restriction?

*******
Restrict Users from Running Specific Applications
Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.Value Name: DisallowRun
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Policies\Explorer] Create a new DWORD value and name it "DisallowRun" set
the value to "1" to enable application restrictions or "0" to allow all
applications to run.

Then create a new sub-key called
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun] and define the applications the are to be
restricted. Creating a new string value for each application, named as
consecutive numbers, and setting the value to the filename to be restriced
(e.g. "regedit.exe"). Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
*******
--
problem
1 answer Last reply

    Hi,

    Log-in to the specific account on which you want to apply the restrictions and then follow the
    'DisallowRun' procedure.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
    www.dts-l.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "tiger" <tiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to restrict one user (my son) to use one specific application
    > which is used to frequently. I found some instructions on internet (see
    > below) of how to use regedit to do this.
    >
    > I don't understand how I set which user (or group) to be restricted and
    > which one not.
    > Must the user have a limited account for restrictions to work? Do I need to
    > run regedit from the users login to affectuate the restriction?
    >
    > *******
    > Restrict Users from Running Specific Applications
    > Start/Run/Regedit
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.Value Name:
    > DisallowRun
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    > \Policies\Explorer] Create a new DWORD value and name it "DisallowRun" set
    > the value to "1" to enable application restrictions or "0" to allow all
    > applications to run.
    >
    > Then create a new sub-key called
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    > Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun] and define the applications the are to be
    > restricted. Creating a new string value for each application, named as
    > consecutive numbers, and setting the value to the filename to be restriced
    > (e.g. "regedit.exe"). Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
    > *******
    > --
    > problem

Configuration Microsoft Regedit Windows XP