Restrict a user to use one application

March 17, 2005 7:25:02 AM

I would like to restrict one user (my son) to use one specific application
which is used to frequently. I found some instructions on internet (see
below) of how to use regedit to do this.

I don't understand how I set which user (or group) to be restricted and
which one not.
Must the user have a limited account for restrictions to work? Do I need to
run regedit from the users login to affectuate the restriction?

*******
Restrict Users from Running Specific Applications
Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.Value Name: DisallowRun
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Policies\Explorer] Create a new DWORD value and name it "DisallowRun" set
the value to "1" to enable application restrictions or "0" to allow all
applications to run.

Then create a new sub-key called
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun] and define the applications the are to be
restricted. Creating a new string value for each application, named as
consecutive numbers, and setting the value to the filename to be restriced
(e.g. "regedit.exe"). Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
*******
--
problem
Anonymous

Hi,

Log-in to the specific account on which you want to apply the restrictions and then follow the
'DisallowRun' procedure.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
www.dts-l.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!