Computer Freezes and buzzes for 10 seconds

JK0980

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to put a post like this but here's my problem and I hope you can help :)

I built this computer at the end of last year and I haven't had any issues with it at all until recently, the screen has started freezing for about 10 seconds, sometimes more and sometimes less (but regardless I've never had to restart my PC), whilst the PC is frozen I can hear a buzzing sound coming from the speakers quite loudly, and sometimes I have noticed it is playing the music / sound that's playing in the background but it's in sort of slow motion and quite distorted.

My first worry was that it was my GPU as almost every crash that has occured has been whilst i've been playing games (SW:TOR in particular), whilst older games like Half-Life have caused me no issues at all (another odd thing worth noting I havn't had a single crash whilst playing Battlefield 3 - even on highest graphics).

Then yesterday I had a crash whilst just watching a film on the PC, so this has led me to believe it's a problem with my onboard sound perhaps? Either way I don't want to buy a new sound card and find out it's the CPU, PSU or GPU etc.. that's the problem so if you chaps could give me some of your wisdom and insight that would be immensely appreciated! :D

Oh and another thing worth noting - I haven't received any system errors or graphics card recovery notices after crashes. I find that sometimes I will get a couple of crashes a night and sometimes just the odd one or maybe no crashes.

My system:
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
CPU: i7 2600k with a Corsair A70 cooler
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
RAM: 8gig Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair TX750W V2
Mobo: Asus 1155 P8Z68-V PRO
Hardrive: 2TB WD Cavier Black
in a CM Storm Scout case with an additional Akasa Viper fan (4 case fans)

I have also tried doing a driver sweep on my GPU and re-installing the most recent driver and I have tried sweeping and installing the beta driver as well - neither of which seemed to solve the problem.

I have measured my CPU and GPU temperatures using OCCT, whilst playing SW:TOR on highest graphics my GPU temp was on average around 50 but seemed to go up to 60 when I was getting a crash and sometimes as low as 40 degrees, when idle it's 30 degrees.

My CPU temps whilst playing SW:TOR were consistently from 28-35, didn't really notice them go any higher.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

JK0980

Honorable
May 16, 2012

Sounds like an idea, how should I go about finding out/fixing it if there is an HDD problem?