• Can you repeat the question?
  • 0 %
  • They will be bought out by someone
  • 19 %
  • Intel FTW!!!
  • 3 %
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 8:28:46 PM

No most still do have onboard (for general use). Haswell promises increased graphics performance. We'll have to wait and see if this is true.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 120 À AMD
November 21, 2012 9:37:08 PM

The "Intel HD 5000" will have better performance than the Intel HD 4000. The question is how much? Even though the GT3 version that's going into the laptop version will have 40 shaders (if I remember correctly), I think the performance increase will likely be no more than 15% - 20%. I think Intel's main objective is to decrease power consumption so that Haswell CPUs can be used in tablets. So with that many shaders Intel can actually reduce the clock speed while still providing a decent increase in performance.

While Broadwell will be the "tock" CPU in Intel's line up, I think that will be the CPU with the real performance gains in both processing and graphics. The shrink down to 14nm will allow Intel to increase frequencies with having to increase power consumption.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 21, 2012 9:39:15 PM

haswell's HD 5000 will have up to 2x the performance of the HD4000, which will put it at the same performance level as trinity.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 9:46:07 PM

Yes they want Trinity's graphics badly. And I can't wait until the 10nm CPUs of Skymont.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 120 À AMD
November 21, 2012 9:48:53 PM

esrever said:
haswell's HD 5000 will have up to 2x the performance of the HD4000, which will put it at the same performance level as trinity.

Nah, I really doubt that. Like I said, I believe they are shooting for increased power efficiency than performance. Broadwell's "Intel HD 6000" will probably shoot for a 30% - 40% increase in performance over the "Intel HD 5000".
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 120 À AMD
November 21, 2012 9:53:19 PM

montosaurous said:
Yes they want Trinity's graphics badly. And I can't wait until the 10nm CPUs of Skymont.

Well, should AMD actually go into bankruptcy and is then dissolved, I suppose Intel would be interested in acquiring the patents to AMD's iGPU. The cost to acquire it will be relatively small for Intel.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 21, 2012 9:55:19 PM

jaguarskx said:
Well, should AMD actually go into bankruptcy and is then dissolved, I suppose Intel would be interested in acquiring the patents to AMD's iGPU. The cost to acquire it will be relatively small for Intel.
:o  don't say that we all be screwed with intel pricing :ouch: 
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 9:57:25 PM

Intel would probably be worse than Microsoft when it comes to pricing. I know it might sound weird, but is it possible that the government could bail out AMD?
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 120 À AMD
November 21, 2012 10:08:27 PM

Why would the government want to bail out AMD? They don't have any financial impact on the US or world economy; unlike AIG or banks.
November 22, 2012 2:06:03 AM

jaideep1337 said:
Nope they aren't gonna go bankrupt. The GPUs will keep them afloat and slowly more people have started leaning towards piledriver.

Well ... you are wrong

Graphics segment revenue decreased seven percent sequentially and 15 percent year-over-year. Graphics processor unit (GPU) revenue decreased 14 percent sequentially due to lower unit shipments to OEMs partially offset by higher channel sales.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/amd-reports-revenues...
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 2:37:56 AM

ATI doesn't keep them afloat, but it doesn't hurt them either. If AMD completely blows the road map and they delay everything, then nothing will be able to stop them from bankruptcy other than a buyout. They really need to get back in the OEM business. That is where both AMD and Intel make most of their money. Us enthusiasts are more important to the GPU business, which still draws most of it's income from OEM machines.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 1:24:15 PM

montosaurous said:
Intel CPUs are fully APU. Even if the graphics were weak, it would still help them out in the OEM desktop space. It would be a lot cheaper for an FX 8xxx with onboard graphics then getting an FX 8xxx and a weak GPU.

?? None of the enthusiast-class CPUs like the 39XX and 38XX 4-cores come with an iGPU. Those are supposed to be the FX competitors, since FX is supposed to be AMD's top-end desktop, right?

Of course, in reality the desktop i7s and i5s compete against FX pretty well already.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 8:41:39 PM

The FX 8350 barely beats the i5 3570k, and I only say that because of it's huge advantage in multithreaded programs. In lightly threaded programs the i5 whoops it. If Steamroller is pushed back to late 2014, then AMD is screwed. There is no way Piledriver will be able to compete against Haswell for that long.
December 1, 2012 5:40:30 PM

AMD is a company that will remain in the techongly industry. That is the truth.
January 19, 2013 2:46:30 AM

My money is on Bankruptcy most companies that loose 72% of their stock value in 10 months don't last. Any time I have worked for a company and the stock tanked that much I found a new job and that company died. That is exactly what Thomas Seifert did I'd follow suit. My prediction is someone like ARM or Google would buy the ATI name. The reason I said Google is because they have been developing CPU/GPU tech lately to introduce into andriod/chrome OS systems and ati tech patents would help fast track this. To put it in prospective Marvell is 3 times larger now nvidia 6 times intel 90+ times larger based on market capitalization. And to get a good idea of what AMD is doing wrong dont think about your OC 8 core 8350 go to passmark and look at the mobile cpu section and look at where AMD is in the mix. Their fasted mobile processor is basically tied with an i3 at 35th place. And they used to be known for their budget well performing mobile cpus their A and E series barely rivals celeron and pentium. WHO BUYS CELERON? Well no one buys it twice. Would you bank on the celeron share of the market being profitable? The only reason Apple is so successful is because 1 million idiots bought a celeron pc with 512mb and vista basic. That market share is worthless. The world has changed and now you can buy a $400 laptop with a 3rd gen i-series in it. AMD is great for tinkering Game pc builders but that is 1% of the market. Anyone who isnt a gamer i know doesnt have a desktop pc anymore. Also imo AMD is losing the corporate client market also Dell used to be riddled with AMD clients now is 90% intel. Whats left? Enterprise Servers so I guess they can compete with HP and IBM for that piece of the pie which in my opinion they do very well at.
January 19, 2013 2:51:18 AM

montosaurous said:
The GTX 680 and GTX 670 beat the Radeon 7970. They are at about equal pricing. However, everything under $400 is owned by ATI.

Yeah up untill AMD's 12.11 beta drivers lol.Now the 7950 can even beat the 680...I know mine does lol the 7970 beats out 680's
January 19, 2013 6:17:35 AM

As long as ATi continues to slap Nvidia up and down the park whilst carrying AMD on their back they will be O.K.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 19, 2013 8:14:17 AM

timil said:
As long as ATi continues to slap Nvidia up and down the park whilst carrying AMD on their back they will be O.K.

But ATI doesn't exist anymore? :heink: 
January 19, 2013 8:59:12 AM

amuffin said:
But ATI doesn't exist anymore? :heink: 

the gpu portion of amd is still ATi...

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 9:27:55 PM

You can call them AMD, ATI, whatever. I just refer to them as ATI to avoid confusion. The only thing I like about Nvidia is it's monthly driver updates and support.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 19, 2013 9:41:39 PM

AMD is still in the red regarding buying ATI.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 120 À AMD
January 19, 2013 10:55:37 PM

I thought this thread died... along with AMD... just kidding....

While AMD is not in the best financial shape, you also need to realize that the US economy is not in good shape either. AMD is not the only company laying off people and going through budget cuts.

It this was a "normal economy" where there is not many layoffs, then what is occurring with AMD would be cause for alarm. But right now AMD should be stable enough to survive at least for the short term future (a few years). As long as it can hang on long enough until the US economy can recover, then AMD should be fine.
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2013 2:15:26 AM

Performance wise we may never see AMD be able to compete with Intel again. If Intel keeps shrinking the die at this rate we could see some pretty highly clocked Intel CPUs coming out in a few years.
January 20, 2013 5:05:19 AM

It seems like Intel is keeping their processor prices higher than they otherwise might, so that there is a small window of opportunity for AMD to hold on by their fingertips, whilst Intel rakes in fat profits and keeps the regulators off their back.

That may not be enough to keep AMD alive by the end of the decade(due to what Intel does in response to the ARM threat), but it most likely will be enough for the next few years.
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2013 7:40:27 AM

Panic mongering.
February 5, 2013 8:00:37 AM

Hey guys. I also am building a new pc for myself. According to their balance sheet, by the end of 2011 & 2012, amd has 177m & 1.183m net loss. However the main reason for their loss is R&d expenses. The company is still innovative, I think bankruptcy is a very rare possibility. ATI cards are head to head against nvidia & amd processors still have the best value prices. 2013 could be a decisive year, right now as you know, amd has no answer for I7 processors. They have to develop better cpu's to stay in the game.

I'm not a native english speaker so sorry for my grammar mistakes.
February 5, 2013 8:32:39 AM

AMD is in alot of trouble, if you read much tech news you will have seen that they have been sacking huge numbers of staff in multiple waves...guess who are the first ones to volunteer to leave....the really talented guys that can get jobs anywhere.

AMD realises it cant compete with Intel and has dramatically reduced the speed at which they are doing die shrinks.....which means Intel and major mobile SOC makers will be more and more energy efficient than AMD....something that kills their chances in the mobile space and makes people like me weary of buying AMD chips for HTPC's.

I was surprised by the fact that AMD is so short of money that they sold their headquarters to make 1.3 billion and are now renting it back off the people they sold it for! If this doesnt suggest they are facing major financial problems I don't know that does.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/201211272247...

And yes, i hope im wrong and AMD do really well in the future. I have only ever owned ATI/AMD GPU's and own a Bazos netbook. Would i ever buy an FX CPU? Not a chance. Do I think AMD will exist as a direct competitor to Intel in 5 years. No
March 14, 2013 8:16:25 AM

lol apu is the best htpc. just got a A6 apu laptop and hooked to my 50s in tv 1080p everthing works great.

also, amd is not allowed to go bankrupt. if i am intel i rather have a weak enemy and which i am familiar with.
March 19, 2013 6:26:49 AM

AMD has a more difficult time to achieve its sales in a global declining market. but i doubt they will go bankrupt
March 19, 2013 6:52:42 AM

its true that the fx series of AMD did not really (sold out)!but i dont think amd is going to close up!
a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 19, 2013 7:14:40 AM

spartansociety said:
AMD is in alot of trouble, if you read much tech news you will have seen that they have been sacking huge numbers of staff in multiple waves...guess who are the first ones to volunteer to leave....the really talented guys that can get jobs anywhere.

AMD realises it cant compete with Intel and has dramatically reduced the speed at which they are doing die shrinks.....which means Intel and major mobile SOC makers will be more and more energy efficient than AMD....something that kills their chances in the mobile space and makes people like me weary of buying AMD chips for HTPC's.

I was surprised by the fact that AMD is so short of money that they sold their headquarters to make 1.3 billion and are now renting it back off the people they sold it for! If this doesnt suggest they are facing major financial problems I don't know that does.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/201211272247...

And yes, i hope im wrong and AMD do really well in the future. I have only ever owned ATI/AMD GPU's and own a Bazos netbook. Would i ever buy an FX CPU? Not a chance. Do I think AMD will exist as a direct competitor to Intel in 5 years. No

Actually, the low level guys who would have left in 2-4 years anyway to get a promotion somewhere else are the ones laid off...the senior guys they kept and paid more...

They have more projects going NOW than they did 1,000 workers ago...

Streamlined new development process + well paid senior engineers = win.

If you have been paying any attention, steamroller will be a 28 nm architecture and excavator will be 20 nm.
March 19, 2013 11:42:32 PM

from what i read, even though sections like marketing took a higher percentage loss, alot of senior people directly involved in chip design were also fired. Rather than streamline the process, AMD is now developing a wider range of products. A delayed steamroller will be out in 2013-2014 at 28nm but Intel will be out with Broadwell at 14nm next year as well. No one really knows when or if excavator will be released.
      • 2 / 2
!