Can't remove startup programs

I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I do
it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked selective
startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted startup
programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.
7 answers Last reply
More about remove startup programs

    It would not be an "endless circle" if you simply put a
    checkmark in the little box that says "don't show this
    message again" when the window appears upon rebooting.
    It is safe to do so.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "King Cole" wrote:

    | I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I do
    | it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked selective
    | startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted startup
    | programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.

    If you have unchecked items in MSCONFIG, you are in Selective Start-up.
    Normal Start-up has all items checked.
    Simply check the appropriate box in the lower left corner.

    Also you should disable programs directly from the program itself and leave
    MSCONFIG for troubleshooting as intended.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I do
    > it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked
    > selective
    > startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted
    > startup
    > programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.

    I would like to keep the programs so I can run them only when I want to, but
    I would like to delete the entry completely from the Startup list in the
    System Configuration Utility, rather than simply unchecking it and having to
    run in Selective Startup mode. Is there any way to do this? How do programs
    get on the Startup list?

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you have unchecked items in MSCONFIG, you are in Selective Start-up.
    > Normal Start-up has all items checked.
    > Simply check the appropriate box in the lower left corner.
    >
    > Also you should disable programs directly from the program itself and leave
    > MSCONFIG for troubleshooting as intended.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I do
    > > it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked
    > > selective
    > > startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted
    > > startup
    > > programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.

    Go to the specific program.
    Usually under "Options" or "Settings" there will be something like "Load at
    start-up", "Run at start-up" etc.
    Different programs do it differently so you should check each program.

    --

    >I would like to keep the programs so I can run them only when I want to,
    >but
    > I would like to delete the entry completely from the Startup list in the
    > System Configuration Utility, rather than simply unchecking it and having
    > run in Selective Startup mode. Is there any way to do this? How do
    > programs
    > get on the Startup list?
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> If you have unchecked items in MSCONFIG, you are in Selective Start-up.
    >> Normal Start-up has all items checked.
    >> Simply check the appropriate box in the lower left corner.
    >>
    >> Also you should disable programs directly from the program itself and
    >> leave
    >> MSCONFIG for troubleshooting as intended.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I
    >> >do
    >> > it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked
    >> > selective
    >> > startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted
    >> > startup
    >> > programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.

    Hi,

    Most of the programs that load upon startup are loaded from the following registry keys:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    You may delete their entries from these two locations from the registry. Two other places to look
    for these startup programs maybe:

    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
    www.dts-l.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to keep the programs so I can run them only when I want to, but
    > I would like to delete the entry completely from the Startup list in the
    > System Configuration Utility, rather than simply unchecking it and having to
    > run in Selective Startup mode. Is there any way to do this? How do programs
    > get on the Startup list?
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> If you have unchecked items in MSCONFIG, you are in Selective Start-up.
    >> Normal Start-up has all items checked.
    >> Simply check the appropriate box in the lower left corner.
    >>
    >> Also you should disable programs directly from the program itself and leave
    >> MSCONFIG for troubleshooting as intended.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I do
    >> > it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked
    >> > selective
    >> > startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted
    >> > startup
    >> > programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.

    Thanks to all of you. Excellent help.

    "King Cole" wrote:

    > I use MSCONFIG to uncheck programs I don't want to start. Every time I do
    > it, I subsequently keep getting a window that says I have invoked selective
    > startup and must reset it to normal start which restores my unwanted startup
    > programs. It's an endless circle. Help please.

    Maybe a better solution to control start up of programs is to go to:
    http://www.mlin.net and download and install 'Startup Control Panel'.
    Reboot
    and a new entry will show up in the regular Control Panel called Startup.
    Click on that and in the various panels you can uncheck items you don't
    want
    to run at startup. Exit to save and reboot. The items you unchecked should
    not start up. I have been using this in various versions since Win95 and
    it
    is a lot more 'user friendly' than the confusing brute force method of
    Msconfig.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Most of the programs that load upon startup are loaded from the
    following
    > registry keys:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > You may delete their entries from these two locations from the registry.
    > Two other places to look for these startup programs maybe:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
    > www.dts-l.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to keep the programs so I can run them only when I want to,
    >>but
    >> I would like to delete the entry completely from the Startup list in
    the
    >> System Configuration Utility, rather than simply unchecking it and
    >> having to
    >> run in Selective Startup mode. Is there any way to do this? How do
    >> programs
    >> get on the Startup list?
    >>

    >> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you have unchecked items in MSCONFIG, you are in Selective
    Start-up.
    >>> Normal Start-up has all items checked.
    >>> Simply check the appropriate box in the lower left corner.
    >>>
    >>> Also you should disable programs directly from the program itself and
    >>> leave
    >>> MSCONFIG for troubleshooting as intended.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>>

    >>> "King Cole" <KingCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Configuration Microsoft Customization Msconfig Windows XP