Wifi bridge vs access point

Last response: in Networking
June 18, 2004 11:44:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi all,

I am trying to connect an embedded device to a wireless lan. The
embedded
device already has an ethernet connector for wired lans and it have
been working
fine.

The idea is using an ethernet to wifi bridge to get it wireless, but
looking at prices
i have realized that actually wifi access points are cheaper than wifi
bridges.

I guess if it is possible using an access point instead a bridge.
Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Alberto
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 1:20:47 PM

Alberto Torrecillas <altorreci@terra.es> wrote in message news:<p805d0djvohj9sqpdlu42u51q5lmibekme@4ax.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to connect an embedded device to a wireless lan. The
> embedded
> device already has an ethernet connector for wired lans and it have
> been working
> fine.
>
> The idea is using an ethernet to wifi bridge to get it wireless, but
> looking at prices
> i have realized that actually wifi access points are cheaper than wifi
> bridges.
>
> I guess if it is possible using an access point instead a bridge.

I've heard some aps can be configured in "client mode" and by doing
so the ap actually acts as a client device (and thus other clients
will not see it as an ap anymore). Not sure if this is what you want.

However the aps I've seen don't implement this, and I don't know if
this feature is present in other hardware. Don't know about any
potential inter-operatibiliy issues either.

HTH.
August 23, 2004 2:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:44:17 +0200, Alberto Torrecillas
<altorreci@terra.es> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am trying to connect an embedded device to a wireless lan. The
>embedded
>device already has an ethernet connector for wired lans and it have
>been working
>fine.
>
>The idea is using an ethernet to wifi bridge to get it wireless, but
>looking at prices
>i have realized that actually wifi access points are cheaper than wifi
>bridges.
>
>I guess if it is possible using an access point instead a bridge.
>Can anybody help?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Alberto

It sounds like you're looking for an adapter that will take an
existing Ethernet connection and make it wireless. If so then check
out this web site:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?...

protocol_analyzer@comcast.net
October 21, 2011 6:51:24 PM

what worked mfor me very well but took 2 routers

I didn't have enough signal strength to cover the entire house with the E4200 on the 5GHz channel.

I got it working with help and determination. I thought I would share.

:!: Verify setting for main router (E4200), then disable.
:!: Configure to-be-bridged router (E2500) connected only to computer

main router Linksys E4200 dual band with channels named Cisco-5GHz and Cisco-2.4GHz. DHCP enabled

bridged router Linksys E2500 dual band with channels named Cisco-5GHz and Cisco-2.4GHz. Disable DHCP

Connect bridge E2500 via ethernet to the main E4200.

Recycle both routers

Now i have 5GHz with excellent signals all of the house.
!