Vanish bug?

I'm a level 23 Rogue Gnome. Just acquired Vanish. I've read on forums, and
probably here, that it's a bugged ability in some way. I've used it twice
in PVE, and it sorta saved my ass at least once. How is the ability bugged?

Pepperin

In article <sb_me.703$wy1.91@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net says...
> I'm a level 23 Rogue Gnome. Just acquired Vanish. I've read on forums, and
> probably here, that it's a bugged ability in some way. I've used it twice
> in PVE, and it sorta saved my ass at least once. How is the ability bugged?
>
> Pepperin

Based on its description, it should stop all spells and damage to you,
but what happens in reality is if there are more than about 2 MOBs on
you, they will often still complete their damage which in turn takes you
out of vanish/stealth and you die anyway. It is particularly bad in
instances.

--
Rob Berryhill

Rich

"Pepperin" <gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net> wrote in message
> I'm a level 23 Rogue Gnome. Just acquired Vanish. I've read on forums,
> and
> probably here, that it's a bugged ability in some way. I've used it twice
> in PVE, and it sorta saved my ass at least once. How is the ability
> bugged?
>
> Pepperin

I have lvl 24 Rogue and the third time I used it in particularly nasty PvE
situation I vanished and started to walk away, at which point one of the
damn mobs hit at me and I promptly pinged back into sight, death switfly
followed (and then a big kick in the nuts was a very long travel back to the
body).

Now I thought at the time that maybe some mobs can see you anyway, but this
defeats the point of an "improved stealth".

How is the bug supposed to manifest?

"Rich" <1@2.bla> wrote in message

> "Pepperin" <gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net> wrote in message
>> I'm a level 23 Rogue Gnome. Just acquired Vanish. I've read on forums,
>> and
>> probably here, that it's a bugged ability in some way. I've used it
>> twice
>> in PVE, and it sorta saved my ass at least once. How is the ability
>> bugged?
>>
>> Pepperin
>>

> I have lvl 24 Rogue and the third time I used it in particularly nasty PvE
> situation I vanished and started to walk away, at which point one of the
> damn mobs hit at me and I promptly pinged back into sight, death switfly
> followed (and then a big kick in the nuts was a very long travel back to
> the body).
>
> Now I thought at the time that maybe some mobs can see you anyway, but
> this defeats the point of an "improved stealth".
>
> How is the bug supposed to manifest?

Mainly, the bug is that Vanish should make you drop off a target
list. Which means no mobs hitting you, no spells hitting you, no
ranged attack hitting you...

It doesn't always work...vanish from a crowd of melee nasties
only to have a mob's Fireball hit you 4 seconds later, un-stealthing
you and bringing all the mobs back.

That's the bug...Vanish is supposed to be VANISH. You're gone...
and since you can't just toss a fireball in a random direction (you
have to target a valid target), stuff like this is not supposed to happen.

Sometimes the workaround shows...last night I was getting peppered
with shot from some Dark Iron shooters when I vanished..they kept
shooting, but I got like 4 "Immune" messages and my stealth didn't
break. Hopefully a full bug-fiz is in the works like it's supposed to
be.

"Pepperin" <gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net> wrote in message
> I'm a level 23 Rogue Gnome. Just acquired Vanish. I've read on forums, and
> probably here, that it's a bugged ability in some way. I've used it twice
> in PVE, and it sorta saved my ass at least once. How is the ability bugged?

Whether it's really a bug, or just a weakness in the skill, I couldn't say...
but often when you're surrounded by enemies, vanish will fail for no
particular reason.

Vanish always fails if something is in the middle of casting on you when you
use it. (IMO, working as intended.) But often it will fail for other
reasons, and nobody is quite sure why.

Is it that melee hits land after you've used the skill? (Should not be
possible since melee attacks are instant... no casting time.)

Is it like feign death, where each mob in vanish range gets a small chance to
notice you, but when there's 5 mobs, 10 percent each adds up to a 50 percent
chance of failure?

Is it that there's just so many mobs that they bump into you as you vanish,
removing it instantly? (if it was this one, it would be much more rare than it
is.)

Is it just a bug? Fails when it's not supposed to?

Nobody seems to be certain if this is a bug or an intended weakness, and
blizzard has declined to comment one way or another so far.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in message
> Vanish always fails if something is in the middle of casting on you when
> you
> use it. (IMO, working as intended.) But often it will fail for other
> reasons, and nobody is quite sure why.

Actually, it's NOT intended to work that way for one reason...
Vanish is supposed to break targeting.

If you don't have a target you don't have a spell. You can
target something that dies when your spell is let go (see
instances full of magic missles and fireballs blasting an orc
4 seconds after it died), but if the mob goes around a
corner or under a balcony, it's out of LoS and targeting
is broken. Vanish is supposed to be like that but ain't.

How can you target somebody with a fireball that just
vanished in a cloud of smoke and then moved 60 degrees
left and 10 feet backwards? If the game mechanics
allowed spells to just be discharged in a forward direction
and the idiot rogue vanished but didn't move, I'd be all
for it...hell, even Batman knows to run away when he
drops a flash bomb...

> Is it that melee hits land after you've used the skill? (Should not be
> possible since melee attacks are instant... no casting time.)
>
> Is it like feign death, where each mob in vanish range gets a small chance
> notice you, but when there's 5 mobs, 10 percent each adds up to a 50
> percent
> chance of failure?

I dunno...but I do know that at 60 with 5 levels of MoD even level 61
elite bosses can't see me, so I don't see how a bunch of level 55 non-elites
can do it when I don't physically (in the game sense) run into one.

> Is it that there's just so many mobs that they bump into you as you
> vanish,
> removing it instantly? (if it was this one, it would be much more rare
> than it
> is.)

Right..it's not that. If that happens, a rogue knows why it failed
immediately and will listen to the good natured ribbing it engenders.
Walking through a cloud of dragon-broodlings and expecting to
remain invisible walking THROUGH THEIR BODIES is kinda
dumb, even in a world of magic.

> Is it just a bug? Fails when it's not supposed to?
>
> Nobody seems to be certain if this is a bug or an intended weakness, and
> blizzard has declined to comment one way or another so far.

As far as rogues can tell, Vanish is not supposed to have a weakness.
Its weakness is its 10 minute timer (less with talents), or 2x in 10
minutes with Preparation (a talent that resets all rogue timers to 0 ).

"Pepperin" <gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net> wrote in message
> I'm a level 23 Rogue Gnome. Just acquired Vanish. I've read on forums,
and
> probably here, that it's a bugged ability in some way. I've used it twice
> in PVE, and it sorta saved my ass at least once. How is the ability
bugged?

OK, Thanks for the info, guys... I'll keep my fingers crossed:)

Pepperin

I haven't played much with a mage/rogue, but what I did notice about
spells is that they seem to 'hit' when cast, not when they impact.

I was in SV and low on hp when one of them bloodsails threw a fireball
at me. So I turn and run, dodge behind trees and rocks, and dive in
the water (fireball, made sense no?). And it still hit me.

Once one saw me when I was heartstoning out but I managed to hs before
his fireball reached me. Now, my hs was set to the other continent, and
a few seconds after I got there, I got hit with it. It had followed me
across the ocean!

It seems that once cast, a spell will follow you all the way to
wherever you are, no matter what.

If any kind of contact, wether is does damage or not, is enough to
break your Vanish, then this might explain it.
If that is indeed the reason the fault lies not with your Vanish, but
with how spells work in WoW.

Then again, I might be wrong about this :)

Barry

"Mark Rimer" <gone@not.there> wrote in message
> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Vanish always fails if something is in the middle of casting on you when
>> you
>> use it. (IMO, working as intended.) But often it will fail for other
>> reasons, and nobody is quite sure why.
>
> Actually, it's NOT intended to work that way for one reason...
> Vanish is supposed to break targeting.
>
> If you don't have a target you don't have a spell. You can
> target something that dies when your spell is let go (see
> instances full of magic missles and fireballs blasting an orc
> 4 seconds after it died), but if the mob goes around a
> corner or under a balcony, it's out of LoS and targeting
> is broken. Vanish is supposed to be like that but ain't.
>
> How can you target somebody with a fireball that just
> vanished in a cloud of smoke and then moved 60 degrees
> left and 10 feet backwards? If the game mechanics
> allowed spells to just be discharged in a forward direction
> and the idiot rogue vanished but didn't move, I'd be all
> for it...hell, even Batman knows to run away when he
> drops a flash bomb...

its not that you've been targetted, its that the spell has already ben cast,
you hit vanish, the spell still takes effect, it may be some seconds later
as it travels however.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:53:50 -0400, "Davian"
<davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

>/nitpick
>
>There are no talents to reduce the time on vanish, other than preparation.
>
>Improved vanish improves your running speed while using it, not your cooldown.

Elusiveness - Subtlety tree, tier 2
Reduces the cooldown of your Evasion, Vanish, and Blind abilities by
15/30/45/60/75 seconds.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

> There are no talents to reduce the time on vanish, other than preparation.
>
> Improved vanish improves your running speed while using it, not your
> cooldown.

One of the very first talents on the Subtlety tree decreases cooldown
on both Stealth and Vanish...I just can't remember the name of it.

It's a 5/5 capbable skill, too.