My new pc build: is this PSU compatible?

dfox1987

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
hello, here is my build spec:

amd phenom II x4 965 black edition 3.4 ghz
asus M5A78L-M LX v2
corsair vengeance 8gb 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz 240 pin
VTX3D radeon HD 7850
hitachi 1TB hard drive sata 7200rpm

are these PSU's compatible with the spec above:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-600CXV2UK-Builder-Series-Supply/dp/B0050AFU46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353373752&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TX650V2-Enthusiast-Series-Bronze/dp/B004O0P9TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353373121&sr=8-1

and if so, will they provide enough power and efficient cooling to run it properly? take into account the fact that i didnt
mention my dvd drive, mouse, keyboard, or wireless dongle which all connect by USB connection so im quite sure they use up power from the PSU also. sorry for the beginner questions lol, im new to all this.

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey Dfox, Sfox here :lol:

Anyways those power supplies will provide more than enough wattage for your build, enough for more upgrades in the future. You could consider going a bit lower in terms of power supply wattage if you wanted to save money. Also not too sure what you mean by efficient cooling with the power supply? Could you clarify that a bit?

I know for a fact that power supply cool themselves by being exhaust fans in top mount cases by pulling air out of the case and blowing them across their heatsinks and throwing them out the back. And there is the intake bottom mount power supply that cools itself only.

Edit: I did hear people do mount their power supplies as exhausts in the bottom part of the case but I would not recommend it if there is a vent/grill on the bottom of the case. Hot air rises so it would not be wise to exhaust hot air from below.

dfox1987

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
well, im pretty new to this stuff but i know a power supply has a fan built into it, so im guessing thats for cooling purposes, and ive heard rumors about gaming desktops overheating and melting the graphics card. dont want that to happen with mine, will i have to provide more means of cooling? graphics card and cpu have built in fans via heat sink dont they? and i think theres one or 2 spare fans in my old desktop too.

socialfox

Distinguished

Depends on your computer case, post up the model and I'll take a look. Also I don't think I've heard of video cards melting completely, I heard the odd story of the power supply connector melting but not the entire video card. As long as its dust free and you have good airflow I would not worry too much.

dfox1987

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Coolermaster Elite 334U Mid Tower ATX Case

the case is very cheap looking, but ive been using my current set-up with that case for 14 months now, and my cpu, graphics card, and motherboard never go past 40C even when gaming temp stays between 32C-37C.
also, dont know why i didnt think to ask up to now but do you think that case is big enough, or suitable enough for this set-up...can certain cases only fit certain parts in them?

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey no need to worry about that case, check mine out:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2987
Ugly as sin :lol:

Anyways here is how your fans should be set up for good airflow.
Bottom fan should be an intake
Lower Side panel fan should be intake
Leave Upper Side panel fan empty, might be an issue to install Hyper 212 if present.
Front Fan should be intake
Rear Fan should be exhaust

Also stated on the website is the claim that it fits the Hyper 212.
Relating to your other question, I think your existing case is big enough for this setup. There are also better cases that will do a better job of cooling but for now your current case is fine. No need to waste your money on another computer case unless you plan on selling the current one and then using the profit earned to get another.

dfox1987

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
:) now that my questions have been answered i can finally order the parts, thankyou for helping me. im terrible with the hardware side of computers which is why i pay someone else to build it for me...i'd be too scared to break anything lol

socialfox

Distinguished
Haha :lol:
I had that same feeling when I built my first computer, it's not too hard just a little know where to plug in the stuff. Also need a bit of risk taking, either way it's worth it for me sitting beside my computer knowing that I built it all by myself!

Anyways you consider lowering the power supply wattage or are you doing future upgrades that need it? It's perfectly fine to have a big power supply as the computer will only draw what it needs but if you were trying to save money you could go a bit lower.

dfox1987

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
think im gonna go with the 650w corsair PSU, my current desktop already has a 750w PSU and i could use that, but i'd feel safer running my new set-up on a well recommended brand like corsair as im on a budget so im hoping everything goes smoothly

socialfox

Distinguished
Trust me, chances of something melting is pretty low. Maintain good airflow (positive pressure) and do your monthly dust inspection and you should be fine. If something does melt make sure to roast some marshmallows around the heat source :)

Anyways if that is all feel free to send me a PM if there is anything related to this thread or you just have a question and not the time for a thread.

- From Sfox to Dfox :lol:

dfox1987

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
actually, i do have one more question. just out of curiousity, would my current PSU work with this build? again its not a well know brand i dnt think, and very cheap looking, but its ran my current system for 14 months with no problem.

ALPINE 750w jsp-75op12n

AC input: 115v/ 230v, 7a, 4a
frequency:50/60hz
max load:750w

+3.3vdc +5vdc +12vdc -12vdc +5vsb ps-on COM POK
26a 36a 38a 0.5a 2.0a remote return PG

734w 16w -------------------------

not sure if this info is helpful, i opened my desktop to get it. do you think it will have the right connectors to run the spec ive chosen to build?

socialfox

Distinguished
Not sure if the Alpine even provides the labelled wattage. I know very little of that brand but of that little I have heard its all been negative. I would not take any chances with the new build.