Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 670 PSU requirment

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Intel i7
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 16, 2012 7:54:45 PM

Going with a GTX 670 perhaps 2 in sli not sure yet along with

Mobo ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU Intel® Core i7-3770K Processor

I currently have a SX corsair 600Wat, would that suffice?

More about : gtx 670 psu requirment

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 8:03:51 PM

Quote:
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.


Corsair makes good PSUs so it might be ok, but you can't overclock at all, and with a 3770K you WANT to overclock.
Related resources
May 16, 2012 8:05:53 PM

Ok, thx for the answear.
Im not sure yet weather or not to go with the
Intel® Core i7-3770K Processor
Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.5Ghz, 8MB, Boxed w/fan
or
Intel® Core i5-3570K Processor
Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4Ghz, 6MB, Boxed w/fan
Im doing some recording an editing so i think i will go with the i7
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 8:11:03 PM

if gaming then i5 3570k or if editing,converting etc then i7 3770k..
May 16, 2012 8:14:02 PM

I know. I make game trailers and record a lot with fraps, so need good fps with fraps in heavy games. Project C.A.R.S is my current trailer making project. Outstanding graphic but quite heavy.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 8:30:34 PM

Helltech said:
Quote:
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.


Corsair makes good PSUs so it might be ok, but you can't overclock at all, and with a 3770K you WANT to overclock.


Huh?
Thier overclocked watercooled X58 based system is above average, and draws more power than an overclocked 3770K system would ( I7-965XE system draws as much power at stock clocks as a 5Ghz 3770K system and only slightly less than a 5 Ghz 3570K system )
They pull 433 watts from the wall running a game like application while using a ~90 efficient power supply, thats about a 390 watt load on the psu
As long as OP isn't planning on running power viruses 24/7 his only real problem would be that his Corsair 600 watt psu doesn't enough native 6 pin connectors
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 8:37:09 PM

And yet they still state "on your average system". Not "on our system you should run 700w". I'm going soley by their recommendation. If you continue to read the article they state themselves "if you're going to overclock then we recommend something even higher" paraphrase. Their recommendation for overclocking on SLI 670s is over 700w, he has 600w. I also stated the 600w would be enough, I just wouldn't OC on it with that setup.

Quote:
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Remember, if you are going to overclock the GPUs or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. The minute you touch voltages on the CPU or GPUs, the power draw can rise real fast and extensively.

a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 11:23:26 AM

Helltech said:
And yet they still state "on your average system". Not "on our system you should run 700w". I'm going soley by their recommendation. If you continue to read the article they state themselves "if you're going to overclock then we recommend something even higher" paraphrase. Their recommendation for overclocking on SLI 670s is over 700w, he has 600w. I also stated the 600w would be enough, I just wouldn't OC on it with that setup.

Quote:
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Remember, if you are going to overclock the GPUs or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. The minute you touch voltages on the CPU or GPUs, the power draw can rise real fast and extensively.

I've read the reviews there, many times
They do the power testing on thier above average machine
It draws a good deal more power than the average machine, did you read that part ?
I use the power consumption figure to determine what is needed, not thier reccomendation
Running a psu at 65-70% load when gaming for a while isn't going to hurt it
a c 236 U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 2:25:21 PM

delluser1 said:
I've read the reviews there, many times
They do the power testing on thier above average machine
It draws a good deal more power than the average machine, did you read that part ?
I use the power consumption figure to determine what is needed, not thier reccomendation
Running a psu at 65-70% load when gaming for a while isn't going to hurt it


according to many posters (specifiably on the graphics card forum) running a PSU at more then 50% will cause a catastrophic meltdown of Chernobyl proportions. luckily delluser is correct, for our safety PSU engineers design PSU to run at greater then 50% for long periods of time. in fact, there are rumors where labs tests such PSU in hot conditions at 100% load. these are just rumors of course...
!