5.1 PC Set up.

Hi all, I'm wondering if there are any pictures out there depicting a 5.1 installation of a speakers for a PC system? I'm very curious where the 2 rear speakers will be.

I'm researching on them, but not sure if my furniture fits a 5.1 installation. preferably best to have wireless rear speakers with the rear speakers on my chair? but that seems like too much DIY.

or.. other alternatives, would a sound bar work? or a headset with 5.1 surround sound?

currently using a 2.1.
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Generally speaking, with a 5.1 setup, the two rear speakers would go behind and angled a bit in (~45 degree angle). You would want more than a couple of inches (ideally).

I wouldn't try and force it really. If your setup doesn't lend itself well to those rear speakers, then just stay with 2.1. Also keep in mind a 5.1 setup would require coming up with a place for a center channel. If you don't have space for that, just kind of put the idea aside until something changes about your living situation, or get a headset.
  2. cl-scott said:
    Generally speaking, with a 5.1 setup, the two rear speakers would go behind and angled a bit in (~45 degree angle). You would want more than a couple of inches (ideally).

I wouldn't try and force it really. If your setup doesn't lend itself well to those rear speakers, then just stay with 2.1. Also keep in mind a 5.1 setup would require coming up with a place for a center channel. If you don't have space for that, just kind of put the idea aside until something changes about your living situation, or get a headset.

so a headset is preferred over a sound bar? and would a headset provide better surround sound effect from a 2.1?

My aim here is to be able to listen to sounds while gaming FPS especially those that come from behind me.
  3. can someone also tell me what's the difference between virtual and true surround sound? Like, which is better for gaming?

and do I need to get a sound card if i were to get a 5.1/7.1 speakers?
    my mobo is asus p8-h67le. The asus HD 6850 DCU is currently seems like it is occupying the PCI 16x slot too.

Does a sound card fit in a PCI 4x slot or a PCI 16x

sorry for double post. cost, nobody really replied.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Speakers Do It Yourself Components