Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Final Feedback On My First Build!

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 12:30:21 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week (Before Friday)
Budget Range: $1800 for everything
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Music, Movies, General web browsing
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, just a reliable dealer.
Parts Preferences: Intel for the CPU and Nvidia for the GPU
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Not at the moment.
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments: I'm planning to get a 120hz monitor. I will be running games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Starcraft II, Diablo 3, and Guild Wars 2 (I know that the last three games don't require that much power to run nicely, but I really want to run Battlefield and Skyrim at the highest settings while taking advantage of the 120hz monitor). I want the sound card because I will be listening to a LOT of music and I would really appreciate the sound improvement.

So with that out of the way, lets get on to the build. I posted a different addition a while back but I think the thread was closed (I can't find it...). Here we go:

PSU: Corsair TX850 ($135 or $125 after MIR)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB ($49 or $45 after PROMO)

MOBO + CPU: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO + Intel i5-3570k ($420 w/ S&H)

Case: Cooler Master HAF XM ($130)

Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm ($16)

GPU: ASUS GTX 670 Directcu ii ($415)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($32)

SSD: Crucial M4 128 GB ($105)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($85)

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($17)

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG ($27 or $17 after MIR)

Monitor: ASUS VG236H ($300)

TOTAL: ($1,700 AS OF 7/8/12)

Some of the deals are not going to be around by the end of the week, so I would like any quick feedback. Thanks!

More about : final feedback build

July 10, 2012 2:01:38 AM

I used to be a big sound card nut always having to get the latest and greatest sound card. That all changed when the motherboards started adding HD sound chips and it's been a few years since I have bought one. If you go to the product page and look at the sound package that the MB contains in it you will see that you really don't have to buy a seperate sound card.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

This is of course a choice that you have and if you want a seperate sound card then that's what you should get . A $27 sound card might even be less of a sound device than what you have on the MB. If your going to get a seperate sound card then get one that is much better than what you already have on the MB. The sound card is 5.1 channel and what's on the MB is 7.1 channel.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio Pro
$179.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 10, 2012 2:06:41 AM

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - OEM
$45.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also the sound card that you chose is a Pci card and this one is Pci-e x1 and if the one I had listed before is too much you can get this one as it's a lot less and has 7.1 channels.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 10, 2012 2:26:43 AM

Yes that would be good and before you buy it I would make sure that it's better than what you have on the Motherboard , no sense wasting money. I use the onboard sound chip and I can't tell the difference between it and the Bose Companion 5 system that I have. The Bose contains it's own sound device inside the base unit and I plug headphones into the speaker outlet on the MB. So I'm just letting you know that you have a good sound setup on the MB and it can be a waste if you buy the same thing in a sound card so maybe you can look into what the difference would be.
July 17, 2012 3:54:37 AM

Best answer selected by AJCpar.
m
l
!