Prescott Overclocking

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I ordered a P4 3.2C and got a 3.2E instead. Are these suckers still running hot or have subsequent steppings decreased the heat? If so, without opening the box, can I tell which stepping it is from the numbers on the box? Should I just send it back?

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Post hte numbers on the box. I think your still going to have the heat issues. I will say this though, depending on how your cooling I think that the heat issue is not as serious as its been made out to be.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

endyen

Splendid
Maybe not, if you run you water cooling system through the freezer in your fridge, and use an electric water cooler as your reservoir. Some might consider that a little extreme though.
Even the EO steppings run hotter than the P4c. I would send it back.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Hte? I'm not sure what that is but I'll post the numbers that I see.

PROD. CODE: BX80546PG3200ESL7KC
MM #: 861558
FPO/BATCH #: L438A630
VERSION #: C70445-003

I'm guessing the SL7KC is the sSpec number. I looked it up on Intel's site and according to them it's stepping D0. Does any of this help?

I've got a Zalman 7000 something hs/fan but I can't get the voltage up too high. It's set now to 1.5625. Anything higher and it gets too hot.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Even the EO steppings run hotter than the P4c. I would send it back.
I was just wondering if I could work with it. Besides, <i>I paid</i> for a P4C which is $25 more! Either it goes back and I get a P4C or I keep it and get $25 credit.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Even before I did that I didnt ever go above 46C -47C. That was OCd to 4.2 I guess im going to stop posting about all my little experiments.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
HTE=THE sorry about the typo. Yours has a lower thermal spec than the CO so I think that you have one of the cooler ones. I am curious as to why your trying to push the voltage that high. This may not be a fair comparison, but my 3.0E doesnt require nearly that much voltage at the highest OC that I have ever hit with it. I run it normally OCd to 3.6 on air, but have pushed it all the way to 3.9 but only long enough to boot and check the speed. Your heat issue may be largely due to the Voltage increase. How hot is it getting?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I wasnt suggesting that the P4c was not a better choice, I was just stating my opinoin about all the big fuss over the E version getting to hot. Maybe they are hot, but if they work then they work. Some people are going to buy Intel so im just trying to help. I end up suggesting to most people that they buy AMD even though I dont have an AMD CPU myself. That seems like an unbiased aproach to me.

endyen

Splendid
If my bringing up your reno,is bugging you, I'm sorry. I wont mention it again. I do love it though. Not only is it a great solution to the prescott heat problem, but it shows a level of manual skill exhibited by few.
My opinion is that prescott adds too much stress to the whole system. AP4c is generally as good, but is less stress on v-regs, and is going to heat all the other components a lot less.
For someone who is ready and able to go to the attention to detail that you do, the P4e could be okay.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Well, I took the E back to the warehouse and got a C to replace it. So all's well that ends well. Now I've got my G.skill LE RAM. It overclocks a bit better with my 2.8 but not much. I've got the FSB up to 245 (from 242) and the timings improved to 2.5 3 3 7 (from 3 4 4 8). It actually booted with the FSB set to 260 but Windows wouldn't load. At 250 Windows would load but would crash. I'm thinking the CPU is what's holding me back. Let's see what the 3.2 can do.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I didnt mean it that way. Reading back over it, I see how it sounds. Just chalk that one up to a long night of Power Posting. The voices in my head were at work :smile:

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I have the Zalman 7000 something or other. I'm running the 3.2 in there now and I'm a bit disappointed. I've got the FSB to 230 (3.68Ghz) and that may be about it. I'll try to squeeze out a bit more. However, I'm now able to run the G.skill at CL2. I've got another P4C coming in a couple of days. I'll see if that one doesn't fare better.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
You may want to increase the voltage to the CPU. I have a 2.8B and my timing on my ram is 2.5 3 3 7 (consist of Samsung pc 2700 and Micron pc 3200). When I try to overclock to 3.3, the default voltage on CPU won't allow me to load into Windows. By changing the default voltage 1.475 to 1.50, Window load perfectly. You may want to juice the CPU a little bit.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 2.8B OC to 3.3 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Right now the Vcore is at 1.5625. That was as high as I could get it with the 2.8. The 3.2 seems to run a bit cooler so I'll try to crank it up a bit.