Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2000 AUD Gaming Rig.

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 12:41:12 AM

Hello!

I have been a long time lurker around TH; I browsed TH even before I became confident enough to start building my own rigs. Finally decided to register an account and draw from the amazing knowledge base. My pair of trusty 4850s have started to die on me; that coupled with me coming into a decent sum of money pushed me to finally upgrade my rig.

Approximate Purchase Date: Late July to early August.

Budget Range: Around 1800/1900 AUD; irrespective of shipping/rebates; can push it up to two grand I guess.

System Usage: Gaming (mostly MMOs; GW2, ofc), basic image editing, some video editing (gaming footage).

I will only post what I believe is relevant to my build; I will link my prices from Pc Case Gear to keep the prices relevant to my location (Australia, that is).

So far, I am thinking something along the lines of;

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz (245 AUD)
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster TPC 812 (84 AUD)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 (189 AUD)
*Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB). (Owned)
GPU: HIS Radeon HD7970 3GB IceQ X2 Turbo (559 AUD)
*PSU: Cooler Master UCP 700W (Owned)
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB. (135 AUD)
HDD1:: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB. (189 AUD)
Monitor: Samsung S24A850DWK LED PLS (309 AUD)
*Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Owned)
Cooling: x3 BitFenix Spectre Pro : White LED (29 AUD ea; front, side, top), BitFenix Spectre Pro : White LED (17 AUD; back). (104 AUD total)
Other: DEMCi Flex CoolerMaster HAF 932 Filter Kit (49 AUD)

Total Incl. Shipping:: 1913 AUD.

Thanks in advance mates.

More about : 2000 aud gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2012 12:49:08 AM

Use a Noctua n14 (Save $10)

The Monitor is a lot. I would look for a cheaper one.
That's all i can think of.

Good luck

Thats
m
l
July 10, 2012 1:04:35 AM

I wouldn't spend that much money on a monitor unless it was an IPS display personally... There are monitors all over the internet of that same spec for around $200 and even lower. Also if I were you I would go with the GTX 680 over the 7970 it performs better in most instances.

Other Monitors
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 1:38:34 AM

Unless you plan on Crossfiring in the future, you may want to look into the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. Also, if you'd like a more affordable monitor, here's an IPS monitor (!) from LG: LG IPS225P-BN.

As skaggy stated, the Noctua NH-D14 is a stellar cooler. Other than these things, you look pretty solid.
m
l
July 10, 2012 2:28:48 AM

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions!

I would get a Noctua, however I do find aesthetics matter, especially when my rig is sitting on my desk; sadly the Noctua is one ugly mother.

With regards to my monitor choice; I've seen how the PLS panels preform at a local shop and they really do look amazing; I am willing to pay the premium for it. The 1980x1200 is a bonus.

@mousseng. Cheers for the suggestion. I do plan to crossfire eventually, however not any time within the next few months.

I have little experience with Nvidia cards, however I am willing to switch from AMD if the performance is stellar.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2012 3:22:02 AM

x731 said:
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions!

I would get a Noctua, however I do find aesthetics matter, especially when my rig is sitting on my desk; sadly the Noctua is one ugly mother.

With regards to my monitor choice; I've seen how the PLS panels preform at a local shop and they really do look amazing; I am willing to pay the premium for it. The 1980x1200 is a bonus.

@mousseng. Cheers for the suggestion. I do plan to crossfire eventually, however not any time within the next few months.

I have little experience with Nvidia cards, however I am willing to switch from AMD if the performance is stellar.

Could you wait for the 7970GHz edition? it should be out soon and will perform better than the 7970.
m
l

Best solution

July 10, 2012 4:11:09 AM

x731 said:

Ah, that's fair. I actually found that the TPC-812 is right at the D14's level of performance (albeit much louder). However, there's one other heatsink I'd still recommend over it - the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme - which performs at the D14/TPC-812 level but is even quieter than the Noctua. Now, you'll notice that's a Newegg link. Because I couldn't find it in any Australian online retailer. There's still a few I've yet to check, but they're actually local shops with price lists, so unless you can find it nearby, I think the Coolermaster is your best bet.

Quote:

Again, that's fair. It's your money, not mine, and I've never seen a PLS screen. Go for it, mate.

Quote:

Ah, I actually just realized both the Extreme4 and Extreme6 have the same amount of PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (2). Looking a bit further, it seems the only real differences between them are the Extreme6 has an extra PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, a PCIe Mini slot, integrated Firewire, and a DisplayPort on the rear panel. Unless you have a need for those ports, I think you should be just fine with the Extreme4 (unless you want to 3-way Xfire).[/quote]

Quote:

I wouldn't really recommend it, if you plan on overclocking as much as possible: looking through these benchmarks it looks like the 7970 OC outperforms the 680 OC (the first few graphs are of the 7950, btw).
July 10, 2012 4:33:26 AM

Hi mate. That list all looks good. It looks like you are wanting to pay extra for that little bit extra performance... You could always save some money on your CPU Cooler and mobo etc and that HDD price is an outrage :) . I would take a gtx 670 over the standard 7970. It's cheaper and performs around the mark, or better in some instances. They are very close performance wise.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-rev...

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB = $479
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:18:05 AM

Whoa, I honestly didn't expect such helpful posts this quickly. You're kick-are folks.

@mastrom101
Aye mate, I can wait for the GHz edition; I'm hoping its not much dearer than the current price of the 7970.

@mousseng
Cheers for the insight mate.
Noise isn't much of a concern; the 52 odd dB is fine in my books; and it's easier to get in Aus; that being said, I'll keep an eye out for the Tuniq.

I may actually get the Extreme4, considering I doubt I will use any of the features you listed. Considering everythign else seems the same, I'll keep that extra forty odd bucks.

@Formata.
Correct; I would rather fork out on premium if it saves me from having to it again for a long time; while I love upgrading my rig, it always hits my wallet hard. However I think I will wait untill the GHz hits my shores. I feel a little more comfortable with an AMD.
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:43:44 AM

Best answer selected by x731.
m
l
!