Double Damage.

I currently have a lvl 38 Dwarf Hunter on a PVE server.

With which most of my time is spent soloing.

I like playing a hunter character but the SV grinding blues are setting
in and so decided to create an alt to freshen things up.

So what character to pick....? Well lets look at my style of play with
my hunter.

All my talents on my hunter went into Marksmanship & I have a very good
tanking pet with Growl, Bite.

So a fight nearly always consists of the following actions in this
order.

1: Hunter Mark
2: When pet is 2 seconds from mob, start an aimed shot.
3: Shove a sting on the mob.
4: Spam arcane shot, multi shot (Full talents make this as powerful as
Aracne Shot)
5: When mob starts to run do concusive shot followed by Arcane Shot.

If the mob does get close then just throw in a wingclip followed by
disengage and let pet take over again.

Any advice on an alt?

Ideally would like something completely different, so Warlock does not
sound like its what im after. (I.e send pet in and fire at range)

I have tried a paladin (lvl16) but the fights are so long and drawn out
& frankly quite dull, in the sense of:

1: Hit the mob for small amounts of damage.
2: Use a Seal
2: Heal yourself when health is getting low.

Repeat steps above until you win.

Also have tried rogue (lvl14) which I must admit is great fun, although
the whole sneaking around side of things is a bit boring & slow so I
don't tend to use it much.

I am inclined to try a mage, as I have been told they do most damage in
the game, apart from being very weak on the health front.

In simple terms based on my current main character and the fact that
paladins bore me sensless what do people think is the best char to try
out of mage & rogue?

Or can somebody put such a good word in for one of the other classes
that it will cause me to create one of those?

I would love to take the time to play an alt of every type, but you
need to play them till at least lvl20 to begin to get a feel for the
character. And unfortunatley play time is limited. Maybe in time I will
do this but for now your advice is most welcome.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-31, Chizel <cgm@firstoption.com> wrote:

> Also have tried rogue (lvl14) which I must admit is great fun, although
> the whole sneaking around side of things is a bit boring & slow so I
> don't tend to use it much.

Rogues get faster with higher ranks of Stealth when they
stealth. Also try a combat rogue (dual wield sword or mace) and
go up the combat tree (with Malice from assasination tree). I
have a 45 Rogue and it's a ton of fun. Talents like Riposte and
Blade Flurry make it possible to fight two mobs at once.

You will still need to stealth as a combat Rogue but only open
with cheapshot.

> I am inclined to try a mage, as I have been told they do most damage in
> the game, apart from being very weak on the health front.

Yes. Get used to kiting a lot. A warlock is a cross between a
mage and a hunter. It might suit you better if you like pets.

> In simple terms based on my current main character and the fact that
> paladins bore me sensless what do people think is the best char to try
> out of mage & rogue?

If you want blazingly fast fights, and a lot of twitch I would
suggest a Rogue with Combat talents. I still use stealth for
cheapshot but I never bothered with Ambush or Backstab because
they require a dagger and can be slow for PvE (gouge, backstab,
gouge, backstab, ad nausem).

"Chizel" <cgm@firstoption.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a lvl 38 Dwarf Hunter on a PVE server.
>
> With which most of my time is spent soloing.
>
> I like playing a hunter character but the SV grinding blues are setting
> in and so decided to create an alt to freshen things up.
>
> So what character to pick....? Well lets look at my style of play with
> my hunter.
>
> All my talents on my hunter went into Marksmanship & I have a very good
> tanking pet with Growl, Bite.
>
> So a fight nearly always consists of the following actions in this
> order.
>
> 1: Hunter Mark
> 2: When pet is 2 seconds from mob, start an aimed shot.
> 3: Shove a sting on the mob.
> 4: Spam arcane shot, multi shot (Full talents make this as powerful as
> Aracne Shot)
> 5: When mob starts to run do concusive shot followed by Arcane Shot.
>
> If the mob does get close then just throw in a wingclip followed by
> disengage and let pet take over again.
>
> Any advice on an alt?
>
> Ideally would like something completely different, so Warlock does not
> sound like its what im after. (I.e send pet in and fire at range)
>
> I have tried a paladin (lvl16) but the fights are so long and drawn out
> & frankly quite dull, in the sense of:
>
> 1: Hit the mob for small amounts of damage.
> 2: Use a Seal
> 2: Heal yourself when health is getting low.
>
> Repeat steps above until you win.
>
> Also have tried rogue (lvl14) which I must admit is great fun, although
> the whole sneaking around side of things is a bit boring & slow so I
> don't tend to use it much.
>
> I am inclined to try a mage, as I have been told they do most damage in
> the game, apart from being very weak on the health front.
>
> In simple terms based on my current main character and the fact that
> paladins bore me sensless what do people think is the best char to try
> out of mage & rogue?
>
> Or can somebody put such a good word in for one of the other classes
> that it will cause me to create one of those?
>
> I would love to take the time to play an alt of every type, but you
> need to play them till at least lvl20 to begin to get a feel for the
> character. And unfortunatley play time is limited. Maybe in time I will
> do this but for now your advice is most welcome.

Shadow priest?
They are tough going in the lower levels, but at high levels they kill very
fast, and you're highly desired in groups.
My shadow priest solos more mobs per hour than my equal level hunter with a
DHC. (34 dps gun). Its sad.

"Chizel" <cgm@firstoption.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a lvl 38 Dwarf Hunter on a PVE server.
>
> With which most of my time is spent soloing.
>
> I like playing a hunter character but the SV grinding blues are setting
> in and so decided to create an alt to freshen things up.
>
> So what character to pick....? Well lets look at my style of play with
> my hunter.
>
> All my talents on my hunter went into Marksmanship & I have a very good
> tanking pet with Growl, Bite.
>
> So a fight nearly always consists of the following actions in this
> order.
>
> 1: Hunter Mark
> 2: When pet is 2 seconds from mob, start an aimed shot.
> 3: Shove a sting on the mob.
> 4: Spam arcane shot, multi shot (Full talents make this as powerful as
> Aracne Shot)
> 5: When mob starts to run do concusive shot followed by Arcane Shot.
>
> If the mob does get close then just throw in a wingclip followed by
> disengage and let pet take over again.
>
> Any advice on an alt?
>
> Ideally would like something completely different, so Warlock does not
> sound like its what im after. (I.e send pet in and fire at range)
>
> I have tried a paladin (lvl16) but the fights are so long and drawn out
> & frankly quite dull, in the sense of:
>
> 1: Hit the mob for small amounts of damage.
> 2: Use a Seal
> 2: Heal yourself when health is getting low.
>
> Repeat steps above until you win.
>
> Also have tried rogue (lvl14) which I must admit is great fun, although
> the whole sneaking around side of things is a bit boring & slow so I
> don't tend to use it much.
>
> I am inclined to try a mage, as I have been told they do most damage in
> the game, apart from being very weak on the health front.
>
> In simple terms based on my current main character and the fact that
> paladins bore me sensless what do people think is the best char to try
> out of mage & rogue?
>
> Or can somebody put such a good word in for one of the other classes
> that it will cause me to create one of those?
>
> I would love to take the time to play an alt of every type, but you
> need to play them till at least lvl20 to begin to get a feel for the
> character. And unfortunatley play time is limited. Maybe in time I will
> do this but for now your advice is most welcome.

Druid. I was in the same fix, and a druid with beast skills is a far from a
hunter as you can get IMO.

"Chizel" <cgm@firstoption.com> wrote in message

> Also have tried rogue (lvl14) which I must admit is great fun, although
> the whole sneaking around side of things is a bit boring & slow so I
> don't tend to use it much.

I felt the same way when I tried my first rogue, and he stalled at lvl 9.
I was a hunter player like you, and still enjoy playing my two hunters,
49 and 54. But after some months of experience and practice and learn-
ing better how the game and its mechanics and quests and instances
work, I started a new rogue, which is now just -><- that short of lvl 50.

Originally I found the rogue boring because I didn't understand how to
play one, and I was still pretty new to the game and didn't understand
very well how it worked, either. But once you figure out how to equip
and arm your rogue (yes, I twink- and no apologies for it :) and use
the skills properly, there's no funner (heh, is that a word?) class in the
game, in my opinion. You have WAY more options with which to aproach
every situation, every mob, every instance, every quest... than any other
class. With the rogue's awesome abilities in stealth, escape, and sudden
and abusive damage output, the possibilities are endless. And yes, they
do get more fun to play after 20, when you can increase your stealthed
speed significantly. There is also a talent which increases your stealthed
speed by an additional 15%, which you can build up. At 60, when you
are able to aquire your last stealthed speed boost, you'll be up to 85%
of normal run speed.

Once you get the hang of stealth/backstab/ambush/garrot/sap and all
that jazz, you kill fast- and you have no trouble tackling mobs 2-4
levels higher than yourself, on a regular basis. Many quests that are
a royal pain in the bum to solo for many classes, are a piece of cake
when you can stealth through many of them with your rogue. You can
choose your own time and place to engage the enemy, instead of being
forced to always have to take them as the come, and beat your way
through everything or die trying.

I still love hunters, and play them too, but I sure find myself wishing
I could dismiss my pet and go into stealth mode, a lot of the time :)
-Marshall

Chizel wrote:

> I currently have a lvl 38 Dwarf Hunter on a PVE server.
>
> With which most of my time is spent soloing.
>
> I like playing a hunter character but the SV grinding blues are setting
> in and so decided to create an alt to freshen things up.
>
> So what character to pick....? Well lets look at my style of play with
> my hunter.

If I understood you right, your problem is you're alway repeating the same
patterns when fighting mobs, right? Well... that's not a problem of the
class, that's a problem of your playing style. You're doing nothing but
grinding atm. Sure you're doing quests, but you'll not get into any action
until you join groups and do instances.

If you REALLY don't want to do this (then why the hell do you play an
MMORPG?), maybe you'll have a bit more fun with versatile classes, like
druid (can tank OR heal OR damage deal quite good) or shaman/paladin (can
tank AND heal AND damage deal a bit).

But still, if you're only playing alone, every class will end up doing the
same. With hybrid classes, you can shift from defensive playing style to
agressive playing style whenever you want to, but it will still be pull ->
nuke -> whack -> nuke -> whack -> *zosh* -> heal -> repeat.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (46) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-31, Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> But still, if you're only playing alone, every class will end up doing the
> same. With hybrid classes, you can shift from defensive playing style to
> agressive playing style whenever you want to, but it will still be pull ->
> nuke -> whack -> nuke -> whack -> *zosh* -> heal -> repeat.

Which is why I recommend a Rogue up the combat tree. Here are
some things that make every encounter unique:

(1) When you get Riposte you should start using it and it's a
twitch skill. It is only useable after a parry.

(2) You can open with Garrote or Cheapshot depending on whether
you need the extra combat points or not.

(3) Against high DPS opponents like casters you want to stunlock
a lot with kidney rupture and cheap shot.

(4) Against high armoured opponents you want to expose armour and
then slice and dice.

(5) Against higher level mobs you throw on evasion and slice and
dice (combo point build up are hard when you can't get a hit
in).

(6) When you get an add throw on Blade Flurry and Evasion so
you're hitting them both and dodging a lot.

(7) Poison management: for runners use crippling poison; for big
bosses use deadly poison etc.

(8) Finally you want to manage your DPS so that you don't end
with a 500 evistricate when the mob only has 100 hp left. You
need to get a feel for your opponent and manage your
finishing moves accordingly.

Things get more subtle when you're in PvP and unlike the suicide
backstab rogue you actually want to get out alive when fighting
multiple opponents. That's when abilities like blind and sap come
in for crowd control.

Sometimes I'll fall into a routine with a rogue but usually I
*don't* know what my next move will be until I can feel it.

Just do yourself a favor and avoid the backstab/ambush
build. It's exceedingly boring and very squishy when it fails.

Chizel a écrit :

> Or can somebody put such a good word in for one of the other classes
> that it will cause me to create one of those?

> I would love to take the time to play an alt of every type, but you
> need to play them till at least lvl20 to begin to get a feel for the
> character. And unfortunatley play time is limited. Maybe in time I will
> do this but for now your advice is most welcome.

My play time is only limited by my mood, plans with friends, work, and
sleep. No GF in a while (starting to get some kind of "itch" though,
will resume scratching it soon, but that's completely off-topic).

I have tens of alts. Litterally. I can't seem to focus enough on one to
really get to enjoy them to no end. The game content at level 51 isn't
keeping my holy priest up for the time being, so I just capitalize
rested XP bonus and raise alts.

There is a bunch of low-level alts. I've very recently reached level 10
with my second mage alt, for example.

Characters I've raised above level 10 are:
_Troll Holy Priest 51, PVP server (miner/goblin engineer)
_Orc Fury Warrior 25, PVP server (blacksmith/enchant)
_Troll Fury Warrior 17, PVE server (blacksmith/miner)
_Orc Beastmaster(Melee) Hunter 28, PVP server (skinning/leatherworking)
_Orc Beastmaster(Ranged) Hunter 25, PVP server
(skinning/leatherworking)
_Orc Enhancement/Nature Shaman 38, PVE server (alchemy/herbalism)
_Undead Arcane Mage 21, PVP server (tailoring/enchant)
_Undead Affliction Warlock 15, PVP server (no trades)
_Night Elf Feral Druid 14, PVP server (tailor for bags only)

But all this is time-consuming. Some alts are very close to the delete
button, due to not playing them in months. Some have already been
deleted.

Here's my advice, considering your limited game time: Stick with the
hunter, stash some gold, and respec for a while. Respec to Beastmaster.

There is a huge difference between the Beastmaster melee Hunter and the
Beastmaster Ranged Hunter already. The Ranged Hunter has 5 in improved
Concussion shot while the Melee Hunter put all talents in Beast Mastery
- but that's only a minor difference. In the end it all comes down to
the choice for the pet. Much like most marksmen, my Ranged goes with a
slow, biting/growling boar, and would end up sooner or later with a
bear for tanking, while the melee uses a fast cat to deal as much
damage as possible and never fights without bite/claws + the very
occasional cower. It's a whole different rythm. In PVE, aggro
management works another way. A melee beastmaster wants to take aggro
from the pet from time to time, while a marksman wants the pet to keep
it. It's a different experience. If you want a change of pace and
gameplay, gather the gold and go for a respec. You might kill at a
different speed, better or worse depending on who you fight. But in the
end, you'll renew your character - and improve him in the same process.

If you end up tired again, switch back to Marksmanship, and go on. The
gear dependance between the two playing styles is basically the same.
Oh, and the melee hunter doesn't need any quiver ;)

Excellent tips, can I ask what your build is?
I'm currently level 30 and use CS, KS, SS and Evis mostly. (Mace/Dagger
combo)

Going to go duel dagger soon as I want to play around with gouge and
backstab.

Saucey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004

Jonny Barr wrote:
> Excellent tips, can I ask what your build is?
> I'm currently level 30 and use CS, KS, SS and Evis mostly. (Mace/Dagger
> combo)
>
> Going to go duel dagger soon as I want to play around with gouge and
> backstab.

Jonny just to let you know you can still gouge with with a mace in your
main hand.

As for going Duel dagger or m/d it is more dependant on the talents you
have picked and if you solo or group as you will not get the
oppertunity to back stab too often if you are soloing.

In addition you can get a small addon that allows you to do a weapon
switch to help with the changing weapons depending on the situation.
It's worked great for me for 49 lvl's :)

My selected talents so far are a bit random; the 21 or so I've gained
have been put in to stuff I think sounds good! Makes it more
interesting than copying everyone elses build I guess, but I haven't
been looking at the better talents down the trees yet.

I'd like to go duel daggers just for a bit of variety since I have the
option to backstab and ambush (haven't used these much at all), and
maybe even slice n' dice as I've been playing about with poisons! Can a
different poison be applied to each dagger?

I'll probably just stick to whatever best weapons I can get my hands on
(drops/AH/etc).

On-topic: I love the rogue for this reason; you can play around a fair
bit for the duration of each fight, which is important in keeping it
interesting through the levels. I played a hunter to level 21 and got
pretty bored, even with changing pets it still came down to the same
combination of attacks for each mob, as opposed to a more dynamic
approach with the rogue.

But I think it comes down to the individual, the hunter to me is a lone
self-sufficent and a highly adept hunter of all things, not ever
needing to rely on others for anything. On a game playing level I
suppose it comes down to aggro-control between yourself and your pet, I
got bored.

As a rogue, I often creep around an alliance player for a few minutes
before choosing the right opportunity to attack, pick off stragglers
from a group and generally being sneaky, it comes down to play choice!

Baruch

In EQ1 I was a cleric and loved it, so you would think I would love
priest in WoW. Well, not quite. Thing is, I loved being a cleric in EQ
because I was always in a group, but in WoW (at least till the level I
left of boredom) everybody is soloing or making quick ad-hoc groups to
take on a quest mob, most of the time I was soloing and, well, was
quite boring.
I now have a char of each class except paladin and warrior (I don't
like playing tanks), and to my taste, I like these in order:
1) Warlock (lvl 22 so far)
2) Druid (lvl 19)
3) Rogue (lvl 21)
4) Mage (lvl 17)
5) Hunter (lvl 16)
6) Shaman (lvl 10)
7) Priest (lvl 22)

Saucey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004

As it only costs 1 gold to respec I did the same as you with the
talents to begin with but changed them a bit so I had some sort of plan
in place.

As for the d/d for variety you are right to do what you enjoy but watch
out for people telling you you got it wrong and you should do this or
that.

And with the posion you can even posion things in your packpack so that
during combat when one proc's you can use weapon switch to use another
different type of posion on the other weapons. So a max of 4 types of
posion on the run during a long battle.....

Saucey

AKA Tartalin the Undead rogue
I never ganked anyone as they were all asking for it

"Chizel" <cgm@firstoption.com> wrote in message

> So a fight nearly always consists of the following actions in this
> order.
>
> 1: Hunter Mark
> 2: When pet is 2 seconds from mob, start an aimed shot.
> 3: Shove a sting on the mob.
> 4: Spam arcane shot, multi shot (Full talents make this as powerful as
> Aracne Shot)
> 5: When mob starts to run do concusive shot followed by Arcane Shot.

What are you grinding that causes you to need to finish the fight so quickly
and then slow yourself down getting your mana back?

Tim

Mage!
Just because I want to try it too, im a hunter player.
But I already have a 44 Paladin, 33 Shadow Priest as alts.
Priest so far hasnt been really "good", but hope it will be cool soon.
But its fun fearing other +5-10lvls off attacking me from behind while
grinding.
Got bored of the Paladin at lvl 40ish, so im going for my priest now.
If I would have just one alt so far, I would go for mage at this moment.

Chizel wrote:

> I currently have a lvl 38 Dwarf Hunter on a PVE server.
>
> With which most of my time is spent soloing.
>
> I like playing a hunter character but the SV grinding blues are setting
> in and so decided to create an alt to freshen things up.
>
> So what character to pick....? Well lets look at my style of play with
> my hunter.
>
> All my talents on my hunter went into Marksmanship & I have a very good
> tanking pet with Growl, Bite.
>
> So a fight nearly always consists of the following actions in this
> order.
>
> 1: Hunter Mark
> 2: When pet is 2 seconds from mob, start an aimed shot.
> 3: Shove a sting on the mob.
> 4: Spam arcane shot, multi shot (Full talents make this as powerful as
> Aracne Shot)
> 5: When mob starts to run do concusive shot followed by Arcane Shot.
>
> If the mob does get close then just throw in a wingclip followed by
> disengage and let pet take over again.
>
> Any advice on an alt?
>
> Ideally would like something completely different, so Warlock does not
> sound like its what im after. (I.e send pet in and fire at range)
>
> I have tried a paladin (lvl16) but the fights are so long and drawn out
> & frankly quite dull, in the sense of:
>
> 1: Hit the mob for small amounts of damage.
> 2: Use a Seal
> 2: Heal yourself when health is getting low.
>
> Repeat steps above until you win.
>
> Also have tried rogue (lvl14) which I must admit is great fun, although
> the whole sneaking around side of things is a bit boring & slow so I
> don't tend to use it much.
>
> I am inclined to try a mage, as I have been told they do most damage in
> the game, apart from being very weak on the health front.
>
> In simple terms based on my current main character and the fact that
> paladins bore me sensless what do people think is the best char to try
> out of mage & rogue?
>
> Or can somebody put such a good word in for one of the other classes
> that it will cause me to create one of those?
>
> I would love to take the time to play an alt of every type, but you
> need to play them till at least lvl20 to begin to get a feel for the
> character. And unfortunatley play time is limited. Maybe in time I will
> do this but for now your advice is most welcome.

--
Timps - Night Elf Hunter (60) on EU Burning Blade
Pimpadin - Dwarf Paladin (44) on EU Burning Blade

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-01, Jonny Barr <jonny_a_b@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent tips, can I ask what your build is?
> I'm currently level 30 and use CS, KS, SS and Evis mostly. (Mace/Dagger
> combo)

My rogue just made 50 and I have all points in combat except for
Malice from the Assasination tree. I'm considering geting
Camoflage and Master of Deception next. I'm sword specced since I
wanted to specialize in very high DPS and sword spec gives you a
chance of getting in an extra attack.

I use just about every skill I have except Blind. I never
bothered training Ambush or Backstab because I stuck to swords.

> Going to go duel dagger soon as I want to play around with gouge and
> backstab.

It's great when you're 1v1 but I've yet to see it work well
against bosses or when you fight groups of mobs.