Need help figuring out a cooling solution.

arcticstorm058

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Ok I need some help, I'm about to get ready to start buying the parts I need for my homebuilt computer. Just got my HAF 912 and two 200mm fans in the mail today, but when I was putting it together I noticed something.

It didn't occur to me that having a 200mm fan installed on the top of the case will prevent me from installing a liquid cooling radiator on the rear fan slot.

What I'm wondering is three things:

1. Could I install a 240mm radiator on top on the outside and still have the 200mm installed on the inside?

2. Would there be anyway to install the 200mm fan on the outside on the top, and add a grill to it, so there would be room inside to add a 240mm radiator?

3. Would it be better to rather then either of the other two options, just send back one of the 200mm fans and just put the 240mm radiator on top?

Solution
You would be putting the fan in the spot that is made for it and the radiator is going to sit on the top of the case outside of it.

Like this:

************** <radiator
----------------------------------- < top case vent
%%%%%%% <fan

The idea is to put the radiator where ever it will fit because the hoses can be run to it in any position that it's in , the only thing you have to worry about is the fans that you put on the radiator have to get power connected to them .
In looking at the inside of the case can you put the radiator up aganst the hd rack and remove tht square metal box like piece at the bottom of the case so that the radiator sits on the bottom of the case and the video card will be able to fit over the top of the radiator.
If that don't work then you could put the radiator on the top of the outside of the case and the case fan will blow out through the radiator and you can still put two fans on the top of the radiator.
There may also be room to mount the radiator on the inside at the top underneath the 200mm fan and have the two fans blowing through the radiator.
The final option is to locate it somewhere on or behind your desk. Mine are inside my desk on some of the shelves that I have.

arcticstorm058

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
If that don't work then you could put the radiator on the top of the outside of the case and the case fan will blow out through the radiator and you can still put two fans on the top of the radiator.

I don't understand, are you saying that I can install the 240mm radiator on the outside of the top vent of the case and still have the 200mm fan installed on the inside of the top vent?

Like this:

************** <radiator
%%%%%%% <fan

Or are you saying that I can install the radiator on top of the 200mm fan, with both items installed on the outside?

Like this:

%%%%%%%
-------------------------------

You would be putting the fan in the spot that is made for it and the radiator is going to sit on the top of the case outside of it.

Like this:

************** <radiator
%%%%%%% <fan

The idea is to put the radiator where ever it will fit because the hoses can be run to it in any position that it's in , the only thing you have to worry about is the fans that you put on the radiator have to get power connected to them .

Solution