Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Beginner building a computer

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 2:21:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I am looking into building my own computer as the one I have now is roughly 8 years old (Dell Dimension 8400). I have never built a computer before in my life and I have limited experience when it comes to computer parts. I have put together a list of parts and would like some criticism on what I should add/replace and also if these parts are compatible with each other (ie. if everything will fit in the case).

So as a disclaimer, I am mainly using this computer for steam games such as CS:S and CS 1.6 [I know, old school lol], so not really high-intensity gaming. I will also be doing some web browsing, movie watching, video editing, photoshop, email, etc.

Now my budget is between $650-$750 because I am a broke college student who's working the entire summer to pay for this computer (along with other bills and such).

One last thing is that I am planning on using the old optical drive on my Dell and I recently bought a Dynex 550W PSU from BestBuy. I'm not sure if these will be compatible/sufficient with the system that I am trying to build, but I am trying to save as much money as possible. :( 

So here is the link to the computer parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bJbF

Suggestions and criticism are greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance!
July 10, 2012 4:17:34 AM

wiinippongamer said:
That PSU you got at bestbuy is a waste of money. All else seems fine to me.

This is a much better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Worst thing you can do is skimp on the PSU, if one day it decides to give up it'll likely take your expensive gear with it too.

Okay, I will buy a new PSU. What about the optical drive from my old dell. Can I just use that one in the new computer? I mean it's only $15 to buy a new one, but saved money is made money lol
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 5:12:03 AM

Unless it's a IDE drive it'll work fine on the new system. The motherboard does not have any IDE ports.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:41:06 AM

also go for a HD6870, overlcokcs better and is cheaper, (150 or so)
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:43:44 AM

PSU should be a little better (dynex crap) since youre getting a 2500K and obviously will overlock it i imagine, i suggest at least a SEASONIC PSU 620watts
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 10, 2012 5:57:15 AM

You don't need 600W for the above system.

Anyway I agree on getting 6870. With that and overclocking the XFX 450W would go great.

You're paying a lot of money for 60+250 GB of storage. Why not get a 120 GB SSD for now - they can be had for less than 100 - and add a bigger HDD later.
m
l

Best solution

July 10, 2012 4:07:00 PM

i recommend a 620 watt power supply since you should think ahead, over time PSU`s dont deliver the same wattage(aging capacitors , etc), so you should consider over a 3-5 year period a 30% loss of the power it delivers.

So my advice is 20 bucks more for a SAFE rounded up number, take it and besides SEASONIC are like a GOLD standard when it comes to making PSU

also if you overlcock the 2500K alone wont demand only 95W, but a bigger to 150 to 200 watts
July 10, 2012 4:18:34 PM

30% over a 3-5 year period is way too much of an overstatement, with cheap no brand chinese PSU's maybe, but I doubt there's even a 5% difference with a quality PSU like seasonic, antec, corsair,etc.
m
l
July 11, 2012 6:10:03 AM

Thanks for all of the comments! Lastly, do I really need to upgrade the CPU heatsink if I don't plan on overclocking the CPU. However, I will be leaving my computer on for days at a time with an occasional restart here and there, so I wanted to know if the stock heatsink on the CPU would be sufficient and not cause over-heating.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 6:32:36 AM

Yeah it's fine. That's what it's built for.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:32:02 AM

Best answer selected by Triple_X30.
m
l
!