Good graphic card for 300watt PSU..

Hello, I know there are many thread like this, but i just want to make sure..

right now I am trying to play diablo 3, but my problem is the video card and psu.(not planning to change my processor or CPU..)

my current spec is

Window xp sp3
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D 3.00GHz
Video card: GeForce 8400GS PCI - Express 2.0 x 16
Video card memory: 512 Mb DDR2 SDRAM
psu: 300 watt (unknown company but it was made in china)
Memory Ram : 3GB (1GB DDR 2 x3)
monitor : 21.5 inch acer
Motherboard: ASUS P5B(supports v1.0 PCI Express Version)

I don't really want to buy new psu, but if i need to i can buy it up to 400watt or 500watt depends on price.

I didn't buy diablo 3 yet so my budget is $140...since I don't really mind playing games in low setting.

The GPU I am thinking right now is Radeon HD 5670.. is this a good choice for 300watt psu?
34 answers Last reply
More about good graphic card 300watt
  1. the strongest for a non 6 pin using psu that can actually hold power without exploding is an hd 7750
  2. um will that work with my psu though?
    I checked it through the newegg psu calculator it says it needs 332 W.
    I mean the price for Radeon HD 7750 is okay for me, but i think it's going go over my budget if I need to buy new PSU (I don't want to buy used PSUs)
    + my motherboard is not that good either and I don't think my CPU can keep up with Radeon HD 7750 either..
  3. Sorry for the double post, but I dont want to start another thread just for this question.
    I was wondering if Radeon HD 6670 would work on my 3~4 year old 300Watt PSU and on window xp..?
    and will ASUS Radeon HD 6670 it work with my mother board, ASUS P5B?
    because the DirectX was DirectX 11.. mine is only 9..
    The only reason I don't really want to change my psu is I don't really know how...
  4. normally both a 6670 and a 7750 can run on a 300w psu. but its pushing it, and it also assumes that the psu can handle a high load. some psus(especially OEM ones) cannot even reach 75% load
  5. Thank u for share the information
  6. dudewitbow said:
    normally both a 6670 and a 7750 can run on a 300w psu. but its pushing it, and it also assumes that the psu can handle a high load. some psus(especially OEM ones) cannot even reach 75% load


    O okay.. then should i just buy the Radeon HD 6670 and try it with my 300Watt psu?
  7. dbtp2002 said:
    O okay.. then should i just buy the Radeon HD 6670 and try it with my 300Watt psu?


    you can try, but if something bad happens, totally not my fault =X

  8. with a AMD A8 3850 as the test cpu that draw 30 more watts than you.

    puts you on 66% load . .your good to go.
  9. @op really i m not giving you bad advice i have experience with that cpu thats why i m telling you go with hd 6570 and be happy.:)have a nice day.:)goodluck friend.:)
  10. ah, that was suppose to be you but i guess the jokes on me . . :lol:
  11. ok lets stop the fight and just back to our job well i have got so much fun.... :lol:
  12. sunnk said:
    ok lets stop the fight and just back to our job well i have got so much fun.... :lol:

    i did not mean to call YOU a moron, sorry. got frustrated about people always saying bottleneck.

    nor do i disagree. i do believe that he will get low frame rates no matter what because of the cpu.

    but if the 7750 gives him 3-5 fps before the cpu chokes, it would be worth it.

    btw, your picture did make me laugh . . . :pt1cable:
  13. Anonymous said:
    i did not mean to call YOU a moron, sorry. got frustrated about people always saying bottleneck.

    nor do i disagree. i do believe that he will get low frame rates no matter what because of the cpu.

    but if the 7750 gives him 3-5 fps before the cpu chokes, it would be worth it.

    btw, your picture did make me laugh . . . :pt1cable:


    look if he get that hd 7750 he will not get that much advantage of the card if he will get low fps and bottlenecking problem so why to get that hes cpu cant handle gpu such as that his cpu is really very old so thats why i said bottleneck do you think that wasting op money will be good and suggest him a card that his cpu cant handle
  14. i think
    cpu 100%+gpu100%=20FPS < cpu100%+gpu70%=23-25FPS

    to me that not a waste of money IF only a few dollars. the 7750 is much better. and the OP has a motherboard that can upgrade to a core2quad if need be.
  15. Anonymous said:
    i think
    cpu 100%+gpu100%=20FPS < cpu100%+gpu70%=23-25FPS

    to me that not a waste of money IF only a few dollars. the 7750 is much better. and the OP has a motherboard that can upgrade to a core2quad if need be.


    no the gpu will get more less about 55% to 65% there will be an hard bottleneck well if the hd 7750 will give that much performance then it will come close to hd 6570
  16. sunnk said:
    no the gpu will get more less about 55% to 65% there will be an hard bottleneck well if the hd 7750 will give that much performance then it will come close to hd 6570

    i think my numbers are good no offense. and he can get better detail while playing.

    his cpu is the bare minimum he does need to upgrade that and having a better gpu while he waits to do that, in my opinion, is better.
  17. if i were in the place of op then i will first upgrade my whole system then gpu btw sorry for all such misbehaving i do apologize for that really i m not feeling well after then.:(
  18. no need to apologize my friend. better to misbehave here than in front of the family and shame yourself. be happy :)
  19. This thread closed temporarily
  20. This topic has been reopen by Proximon
  21. First off, none of you have any idea about the PSU.

    "300W" means absolutely nothing. Is that peak or continuous? How much of the 300W is available on the 12V rail? Or is it mostly 5V?

    Before you start judging power supplies you need to read up on them. There's a guide linked in my sig for that purpose.

    A 6 year old cheaply made PSU may also have capacitor aging.

    Pentium D 3Ghz does meet the minimum system requirements, but you can expect to play with only the lowest settings and possibly a lower resolution.

    In modern terms, a Pentium D 3.0 is about like an AMD Sempron.

    I've taken care of all the off-topic junk and bickering. glad you two resolved things.
  22. ok.. another question(sorry about keep asking questions.. I just want to make sure..)
    my mobo supports PCI express version of 1.0..
    and Radeon HD 6570(I decided to go with this one..) is PCI express 2.1..
    will this work though?(I googled it, and most of them said it should but not going to be at its full capacity of the video card)
    and will I be able to run diablo 3 at low setting? (if not, i am not going to bother upgrading at all)

    sorry for all the questions,
    and thank you to those who gave suggestions and answers :)
  23. It's backwards compatible, and the PCI-E bandwidth should not be a limiting factor in this instance. It's still an upgrade, and one that could be carried forward as you upgrade.

    Keep in mind though that a system upgrade does not have to break the bank:

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
    ASRock H61ICAFE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850
    TOTAL: $175.97
  24. Proximon said:
    It's backwards compatible, and the PCI-E bandwidth should not be a limiting factor in this instance. It's still an upgrade, and one that could be carried forward as you upgrade.

    Keep in mind though that a system upgrade does not have to break the bank:

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
    ASRock H61ICAFE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850
    TOTAL: $175.97


    If i want to do that, i need more than $300.. ish.. haha

    anyway if i just upgrade my gpu to Radeon HD 6570 will it run diablo 3 at low setting ?

    For now, I am only looking for gpu to upgrade..
    as I work over the summer, my plan is to upgrade gpu first and buy the laptop since the one i have right now is in a bad condition..
    (battery not charging up,blue screen popping up...etc, but I might not buy it, since I can still use it)

    since the computer is around 3~4years old, I was wondering if i need to upgrade it rather than buy the new one..
    like my Hard Drive is old, psu is old...etc..(idk how to install some part too..so..)

    anyway Thank you for the help :)!
  25. ^+1
    with an addendum
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 $44.99 $1.99 Shipping
    $24.99 after mail-in rebate card
    TOTAL: $222.95 or $202.95 after MIR

    it is a chunk of change but with that you can even handle a CPU bound game with a bigger GPU like skyrim with a 7970:
    (a 7970 with a quality 550 watt PSU that is . .)

    Picking A Sub-$200 Gaming CPU: FX, An APU, Or A Pentium?
  26. dbtp2002 said:

    anyway if i just upgrade my gpu to Radeon HD 6570 will it run diablo 3 at low setting ?



    As I said earlier, we really can't predict much about your PSU. Real world draws are going to be higher with the 6570:
    http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

    Perhaps 20W more.

    As long as everything works you should be able to play, provided you have a good internet connection and they can keep their servers up.
  27. ok screw what i said before.. lol
    I changed my mind(not going to buy laptop this year)..
    I still have to talk to my parents about it.. but..
    I am going to change the parts that you and loonian suggested PSU, Motherboard, Ram, CPU..and I might get Radeon HD 7750... or maybe Radeon HD 5670. that might be over $300(+diablo 3 it's going to be $360+).
    But the motherboard you suggested "ASRock H61ICAFE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard" is out of order in newegg..so I will just go look for it on other sites..

    anyway Thank you for the help.!(I might not upgrade it, but still :P)
  28. And this would be a slightly better MB for the first suggestion:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128540
  29. Proximon said:


    I think the last two you posted is the same item with different picture..
    but wow thats alot cheaper.. lol...everything I need hahaha.. better graphic, better psu, better cpu, better motherboard..

    I'll go with this one.. But will APU affect the game play? since it's GPU + CPU?, or should i just play it for a while then get a another GPU and use dual graphic?

    Anyway.. Thank you :):):):)!!!
  30. The last two I posted is a combo deal, both items bought together give you a discount.

    I think the later GPU upgrade is a great idea. You obviously get better performance with the Intel option, but the APU route just strikes me as a good compromise. I don't often recommend AMD these days.

    If you can add $27 this would be a stronger solution for you:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.892404

    Faster graphics there.
  31. Proximon said:
    The last two I posted is a combo deal, both items bought together give you a discount.

    I think the later GPU upgrade is a great idea. You obviously get better performance with the Intel option, but the APU route just strikes me as a good compromise. I don't often recommend AMD these days.

    If you can add $27 this would be a stronger solution for you:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.892404

    Faster graphics there.


    um.. I think I need a better PSU for that one.. isn't it..?

    I'll just go with the one you posted above and upgrade or add(?) another gpu later.. I like intel option too but the price.. is just too high for me..:O

    as long as those can run some games on low setting or med setting for a while, I am satisfied :) lol

    anyway Thank you for the suggestion and help :D
  32. That Antec 380w will handle anything up to about a 7850 with no issues. Not that I would recommend it with that GPU, but if you already had it that would be fine.

    The difference is that the 380W figure is CONTINUOUS rating and MOST of that 380W can be supplied by the 12V rail... the type of power your computer mostly needs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product