Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU temps really high

Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2012 4:04:58 AM

I have a stock I7 920 Quad Core. So my computer has been somewhat sluggish over the past month. Finally decided to check out what was going on, and turns out my CPU is running at 90-100 degrees Celcius. Had this problem before which I fixed by reseating the HS/Fan.

But the question I have is. Before, when I had the issue, my HS/ was cool to the touch, as I would assume because it wasn't cooling the CPU properly (not enough contact, so not much heat dissipating to the HS). This time, the HS is very hot (and gets hot quick after the computer starts up). So I wonder if there is another issue along with the overheating CPU?

I already have another HS/Fan on order (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo). But wondering if there is something else I should be checking for?

Also, since I didn't check the CPU temps when the computer first started acting sluggish, how bad will it damage the CPU? It has prob been running at these temps for the past month =/

More about : cpu temps high

November 20, 2012 4:12:51 AM

When was the last time you took a can of air and blew out all the dust? Is the fan on the HSF throttling up with the temp? What's the cooling setup of your case?
m
l
November 20, 2012 4:16:30 AM

It's been a couple months, but the dust isn't that much of a build up. The HSF doesn't seem to be throttling up with the temps (the vid card fan throttles up though). I actually leave my case open on the side, but there are 2 fans in the hfront, 1 big one in the back right next to the CPU HS/F, another big fan on top (again, near CPU HS/F). The PSU is at the bottom, but is blocked by the vid card, but dont expect that to help cooling at all anyways.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 12:12:46 PM

In my opinion, no amount of HS changes can cure a heat issue instantly. You will need to fix the issue with what you currently have unless the HS is missing any screws a damaged in anyway.

With regards to your HS fan throttling, download speedfan if you haven't already and see if it helps.

What motherboard do you have ?, What brand of thermal paste do you currently use ?

Finally do check and make sure the CPU socket itself is stable on all sides, then make sure the HS is not broken or damaged in anyway, and sits level on all sides when fitted.

m
l
November 20, 2012 2:52:41 PM

I have a ASRock X58 Extreme. Not sure on thermal paste, it been over a year since I last reseated the HS and I can't remember what brand it is. I will check out speedfan and see if that helps.

I think one of the clips surrounding the screw on the HS is damaged It is those clip on screws they have that makes it easy to install the HS, and I remember one of them being slighly damaged. But I checked the HS and it seems to be on tight.
m
l
November 20, 2012 6:50:02 PM

I would try putting on some more thermal paste. I had that issue, though the temperatures weren't quite as extreme as yours, but it turns out I didn't have enough paste on and the temperatures dropped about 10 degrees after I applied more. But with your temps at 90-100 there's gotta be another issue I doubt it's just the thermal paste. It could be contributing though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 7:05:37 AM

You need to re apply thermal paste and then check the temps again. If they are still not what they use to be, then you might want to have a good look at that Heat sink Clip. If its damaged, you need to find a way to fix it or replace the heat sink.

The heat sink has 4 screws/clips so it would seen stable even if one of them is damaged. The issue is when one side is not tightened, there is no proper contact with the CPU, which causes your temps to increase.

Also, as "rabidraccoon" mentioned sometime we get too cautious and apply less thermal paste, which unfortunately causes temps to rise.

You will need to try a combination of everything you read here and let us know what works.
m
l
November 24, 2012 5:49:10 AM

well, i was able to get the temps down 20 degrees C (to around 70-80 on high load) by blowing out all the dust in my case....so things were looking good

but unfortunately, dont think i can go any farther, har.

I went to reseat the heatsink, and in the process, accidentally, nicked my finger on the mobo where the cpu sits, and it looks like a couple of the connectors got moved at an incorrect angle.

ever since then, the computer will not even turn on. I have reset the CMOS, tried booting it with only essential hardware, it wont POST. the fans turn on, and I can see the mobo debug LED flashing codes that arent even in the manual.

So I think I fubar'd the mobo ... sigh

now its either replacing motherboard, or getting a new CPU/Mobo combo ....

Thanks for all the replies.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 24, 2012 8:25:51 AM

Very sorry to hear that. I am sure you have taken something from your experience here and good luck next time around.

December 3, 2012 11:14:13 PM

Best answer selected by whiteazn.
m
l
!