Sign in with
Your question

Power Outage...fried my new computer?

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 3:56:46 AM

So....I just had a power outage and my new build basically isn't working anymore.

i5 3570k and everything...so I'm pretty upset right now.

PG&E said they had scheduled downtime today for my street at 4-4:30 pm and I didn't turn on my PC until probably 6:00 pm and then the power went out.

I tried to power the computer back on and nothing happened. I figured the PSU died...so I went to Fry's and bought another one. Plugged it in and nothing happened as well. So.... I'm really worrying now that everything is fried. I took my SSD and plugged it into another computer and the BIOS is recognizing it so I think that is fine. So is it possible my mobo and CPU are dead? Or did I just "luckily" buy a dud PSU?

edit: and yes I did have a surge protector
a b B Homebuilt system
July 10, 2012 3:58:32 AM

did you the clear the capacitors (unplug PSU, press power for 5 secs, plug back in, turn back on)
m
l
July 10, 2012 4:06:04 AM

At the time no. I just tried it now and nothing is happening.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 4:14:44 AM

Its most likely that it killed your motherboard, I would get that replaced as its the most probable of options if its not booting and you already tried replacing the PSU.

You should really get a UPS though, considering the price of hardware a good UPS isn't that expensive.
m
l
July 10, 2012 4:20:16 AM

mouse24 said:
Its most likely that it killed your motherboard, I would get that replaced as its the most probable of options if its not booting and you already tried replacing the PSU.

You should really get a UPS though, considering the price of hardware a good UPS isn't that expensive.

I definitely will now..I hope it's just the motherboard...

How likely is it that the GPU and CPU are also damaged?
m
l
July 10, 2012 6:18:53 AM

chrislo2007 said:
I definitely will now..I hope it's just the motherboard...

How likely is it that the GPU and CPU are also damaged?

Not all that likely tbh, but weirder things have happened :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 10, 2012 6:33:30 AM

before you go crazy check on the surge suppressor that the fuse is not blown or it in reset. (plug a lamp into it and see if it comes on..if not see if the outlet is working. on most new mb asus and other there should be a power good led on the mb or some mb have diag led that have letters and numbers on them when they post. if the mb has it power green led on or the post led work...but there no video toss up here the numbers that are on the post it codes..if it asus mb check to see that the led for video card is not lit or for the ram..they will blink then turn off on a normal post. if you hit the on switch and nothing is moving...no fans or hard drives with both power supplys and the mb led is on. it could be the mb when it lost power went into a safe shutoff.. these new mb have digi power control now. you may have to take the cmos jumper and clear the mb for it to post.
if the fans are moving but there no video or there twitching and turning off. then there may be a short. i would start by pulling the video card out and see if the fans spin up. (if you have another monitor use it..as you could have burnt out back light or problem with the monitor and not the pc. if they do spin up see if anything comes on on the onboard video if you have it if you dont see if you have and older video card you can toss in. the last would be if one of the ram stick failed and is holding the mb from posting. try using one dimm.in any of the slots. the last would be to unplug the hard drive and dvd drives from the ps to see if they shorted out.
m
l
!