Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

D70: Controllable via USB cable and software?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 11, 2005 8:14:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.

I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.

Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:31:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:14:23 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
"(PeteCresswell)" <a@b.c.invalid> wrote:

>I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.
>
>I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
>and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.
>
>Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?

Nikon Capture will allow you to control the D70 from a PC.
________________________________________________________
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
August 12, 2005 1:47:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Per Ed Ruf:
>Nikon Capture will allow you to control the D70 from a PC.

That answers 95% of my question which, now that I think of it, really was
whether or not the capability was there...
--
PeteCresswell
Related resources
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:11:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:47:22 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "(PeteCresswell)"
<x@y.z.invalid> wrote:

>Per Ed Ruf:
>>Nikon Capture will allow you to control the D70 from a PC.
>
>That answers 95% of my question which, now that I think of it, really was
>whether or not the capability was there...

The protocol for the D70 is totally different than for the Coolpix line.
Capture down't work on them. I don't think you'll find something that runs
off a palm.
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:25:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"(PeteCresswell)" <a@b.c.invalid> wrote:
: I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.

: I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
: and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.

: Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?
: --
: PeteCresswell

Do you have a link or any further info on the above? There are remote ir
remote emulation programs that you could use to use to take pics using the
d70. I don't know of anything besides a pc that can control a d70 via usb.
August 16, 2005 12:25:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Per kmy@hiwaay.net:
>
>Do you have a link or any further info on the above? There are remote ir
>remote emulation programs that you could use to use to take pics using the
>d70. I don't know of anything besides a pc that can control a d70 via usb.

The Palm Pilot solution for the 990 used tb at http://www.sqlsolutions.com, but
it looks like the domain is not defunct.
--
PeteCresswell
August 16, 2005 12:25:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Per (PeteCresswell):
>is not defunct.

sb "..is now defunct.."

----------------------------------------
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
----------------------------------------
--
PeteCresswell
August 16, 2005 4:12:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.
>
> I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
> and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.
>
> Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?

As others have mentioned, you can control it with a PC via USB. The
problem is this protocol involves transferring the pic from the camera
to PC after each shot, with no option to leave it on the in-camera CF
card. So even if you reverse engineered the protocol, it wouldn't be
very practical on a Palm due to horsepower and storage issues.

Lars
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:24:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

lars <lars@mindspring.com> wrote:
: (PeteCresswell) wrote:

:> I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.
:>
:> I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
:> and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.
:>
:> Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?

: As others have mentioned, you can control it with a PC via USB. The
: problem is this protocol involves transferring the pic from the camera
: to PC after each shot, with no option to leave it on the in-camera CF
: card. So even if you reverse engineered the protocol, it wouldn't be
: very practical on a Palm due to horsepower and storage issues.

: Lars

Do you know if the pic transfer back to the pc is really part of the
protocol or is it just a function of Nikon Capture? I've been trying to
trying to find a way for the pic to be recorded on the cf instead of being
tranfered to the pc. Since the d70 is a usb 1 connection, this is a very
slow process when shooting raw. There is a linux program similar to
Capture, but I haven't tried it since I don't have a linux machine and
don't have the time, currently to learn and install linux.
August 17, 2005 8:08:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

kmy@hiwaay.net wrote:

> Do you know if the pic transfer back to the pc is really part of the
> protocol or is it just a function of Nikon Capture? I've been trying to
> trying to find a way for the pic to be recorded on the cf instead of being
> tranfered to the pc. Since the d70 is a usb 1 connection, this is a very
> slow process when shooting raw. There is a linux program similar to
> Capture, but I haven't tried it since I don't have a linux machine and
> don't have the time, currently to learn and install linux.

Well, NC effectively equals the protocol at this time (ie, I would
consider the transfer of the pic to PC to be part of the protocol). The
question is, is there another option in the protocol to leave the pic in
the camera? if there is, I haven't heard of it.

What's the name of the Linux program? I assume someone would have had to
do some reverse engineering (ie, protocol decoding/capture) to make such
a program work. Maybe the author(s) know if there are other options.

Lars
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

lars <lars@mindspring.com> wrote:

: Well, NC effectively equals the protocol at this time (ie, I would
: consider the transfer of the pic to PC to be part of the protocol). The
: question is, is there another option in the protocol to leave the pic in
: the camera? if there is, I haven't heard of it.

: What's the name of the Linux program? I assume someone would have had to
: do some reverse engineering (ie, protocol decoding/capture) to make such
: a program work. Maybe the author(s) know if there are other options.

: Lars

The link is:

http://ptp.sourceforge.net

This deals with the general ptp protocol used to communicate with the d70
and other dslrs. In addition are links to the other sites that discuss
control of dslrs using linux. There is a link to a site for nikon cameras,
but it was down, when I tried it today.
!