Sign in with
Your question

If my monitor refresh rate is 60 hertz is my game fps 60?

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2012 10:06:50 AM

I just ask the question because I'm playing black ops 2 . The resolution and setting on my monitor is 60 hz

Now when I'm in the options in game I set sync every frame to on . Then the option for max frames per second it greys out and sits on unlimited . In game then my max fps is 60 .

If I go back to the settings and turn sync every frame to off . I can change max frames per second then . I changed it to120 . When I played the game I was getting from 110-120 fps but I was getting screen inconsistencies. Is this because by default my monitor is only 60 hz ?

To elaborate on my question . Is a refresh rate to a computer the same as what fps will be in game basically ? I'm confused ?
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2012 10:27:16 AM

Ok how that works is that your monitor is running @ 60hz and if you run games at 120fps you won't see the difference between 60fps to 120fps. With sync you will see less of those inconsistencies, because it plays a frame @ refresh rate of the screen. You won't see a difference in fps after 60fps if you monitor is 60hz. So basically they are different entities, but you need above 60fps to not see a difference.
m
l
November 20, 2012 10:27:39 AM

Basically, yes, but only if your FPS output is equal to or higher than your refresh rate (as in your case). Here is a link that explains it pretty well:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_7.html

Hope that clears everything up for you.
m
l
November 20, 2012 11:44:32 AM

ok heres how to elaborate that, playing with your monitors refresh rate sync on gives you a smooth flow of grapics, if your system can privide fps equal or higher than your monitos refresh rate, beyond that you will expirience screen tearing. so i sugest always turn v sync on if the system can manage to give fps equal or higher than the refresh rate of the monitor for smooth display.
m
l
Related resources
!