Status
Not open for further replies.

lazlopanaflx

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hey all,

I am somewhat new to PC building. I attempted to upgrade my PC with a new video card and run SLI. I am trying to run two of the "MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 470 1280 MB DDR5" video cards. My system ran one card perfectly, but I was bored and wanted a new project to see if I knew what I was doing. The MOBO im using is the ASUS Rampage III Gene. The power supply I am using is the Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 . I connected the other video card to the mobo, set up the SLI bridge, and connected the PCI-e connections. My problem is my video input isn't being recognized. Nothing will display on my monitor.... I put the input in to both video cards. I disconnected my second video card and tried running just the original, I cant get any picture. The cards fan spins, so power is being run to it, but nothing is displayed to my monitor.

Any ideas on what the problem may be? Any suggestions on what to do? Do you need any more information from me? I am lost and don't know where to start trouble shooting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Solution
Well, if you can't overload them using just one card - you'll need two to mess it up. Normally, overloading you psu temporary wouldn't do too much - but if you keep that config and fire your psu up several while being overloaded, you can damage the circuitry and stuff in your psu - you need to watch out. Just make sure you can still run a single card solution - if not then your psu just broke. Hope this helps!

lazlopanaflx

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I unfortunately can not get to that point since I can't see anything on my monitor. Without the drivers installed, I should still be able to boot up my pc and get a picture on my monitor, right? Then I would be able to install the drivers and configure SLI. Or am I going about this all wrong. Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it.

You should be able to. What is your PSU?

lazlopanaflx

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I am using the Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80. I would think 750w would be ample, but do you think that's the problem? Thanks!

lazlopanaflx

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Tried all of the above this weekend, and nothing was working. I did notice the CPU indicator on the motherboard turns red on boot up for about 4 seconds, then goes away. So idk if whatever issue I had when I put in new sticks of ram fried the CPU or the mobo, and I don't have any spare parts to trouble shoot. So I am looking to bring this in somewhere for them to trouble shoot. I know of a reputable place by me, but I was told he does not have the parts to trouble shoot either so he told me to look elsewhere. I may be forced to resort to geek squad. I know their answer to every issue is to bloat the of with spyware, but it seems like I'm out of other options. Any thoughts?

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
the possibility that your 750w power supply can't handle dual 470 makes sense because the TDP of two gtx 470 is rated at 580 max on some benchmarking websites like anandtech - and I'm sure with your mobo, your cpu is a Nehelam which runs more power than Ivy Bridge because it is based on a 45 nm process. Overloading your psu is one of the most common reasons something like this fails. I'm pretty positive that your psu tdp is the problem - just to make sure how much watts are you pulling for one card at load? If it's huge - like half of what I just stated (290 watts), then you need to change your psu to at least an 850w to ensure enough headroom. Hope this helps!

lazlopanaflx

Honorable
May 16, 2012

When I run the PC everything turns on, the fans in the GPU are still spinning, as ae the cooling fans for the case. And I tried running just one of the video cards again, and I was still having the same problem. Could I have messed up my system from overloading the PSU somehow? Do you think the fans and everything would still be spinning if it was a PSU issue?

Thanks basch!!

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Well, if you can't overload them using just one card - you'll need two to mess it up. Normally, overloading you psu temporary wouldn't do too much - but if you keep that config and fire your psu up several while being overloaded, you can damage the circuitry and stuff in your psu - you need to watch out. Just make sure you can still run a single card solution - if not then your psu just broke. Hope this helps!

Solution

lazlopanaflx

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I am certain this is what I did. I kept trying to start it back up, which I obviously shouldn't have done. Thanks a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.