Status
Not open for further replies.

mvweez1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Hi everybody! I need some help deciding on a new graphics card my budget is 260 USD. I was looking into the Radeon 7850 and up until today I was pretty set on it; than I came across a lot of articles and problems with drivers from amd that were making the card really difficult to work with. This has kind of scared me because I hate driver issues haha. Since I read that I've been looking more into the Nvidia offerings, but they have not released their new Kepler cards yet (want to purchase my upgrades in first week of June). I was wondering if anyone knew or has had first hand experience with the 7850's drivers and if they are alright now or if I should go with something from Nvidia and if so which card. Another reason why I like the 7850 is because it is really energy efficient. My setup is posted below. The primary uses are gaming (good amount), moderate programming, video streaming/movie viewing, maybe some video editing.

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x4 945
RAM: 8gb gskill ripjaw series 1600
GPU: Powercolor PCS+ radeon hd 5830 <---- not thrilled with it
Powersupply: 700w Thermaltake toughpower
HDD: Western Digital 500gb caviar blue
motherboard m4a88td-v evo usb3.0

I also need help choosing a new monitor for gaming my budget for that is around 200 USD give or take. At the moment I have a syncmaster2033sw 20 inch 1600x900 monitor.

Solution
G
Another thing to consider is IPS panel which may not be as fast as TN panel, but has considerably better color quality and viewing angles.

Dell U2312HM is maybe a bit out of $200 price range, but worth it.
Yeah many people complained about driver issue on the 7850, but majority of the 7850 owners doesn't have any issues and they are happy with the card actually. I don't have a 7850 but I think it's worth buying still. If you are not happy maybe you can RMA it?

mvweez1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Yeah I absolutely love the idea of the gpu; it seems like a really great one. However, I have had an issue with my 5830 drivers it gave me a few BSOD's before I fixed it. I really do not want to go through that again because it's a pain to go through all that especially if it is with a new video card. I love the efficiency that the reviewers are reporting the older nvidias are pretty power hungry I hear, but once again I am unsure. I actually RMA'd my mobo and that is frustrating since they never update their site (ASUS). Like I said if I buy this I would like it to work for awhile before it gives me problems haha. I am glad to hear that it seems to just be handful of people with driver issues and not everyone.

mvweez1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Even though the 570 is a bit faster than the 7850 you recommend the 7850 over it? Is there any reason or just a personal preference for you? Thanks that monitor looks like a great choice! The specs look nice for gaming/all other needs I don't need anything super crazy for my monitor the one I have now is underwhelming haha

sunnk

Distinguished
no there is no reson to get gtx 570 over hd 7850 the hd 7850 is little bit slower then that card the gtx 570 is also $50 more then hd 7850 for driver issues i m using both nvidia and nvidia cards yes nvidia didnt gave me any problem even ati cards also didnt gave me any problem the fact is that whenever the card is newer there will be driver issues but in customers review there is no driver issues problem every customers are happy with it the hd 7850 is an good overclocker and also stays quite and uses less power for $250 the hd 7850 is the best card in the market.:)

GTX 570 consumes more power, runs hotter than HD 7850 and costs more. HD 7850 runs cooler and consumes less power and costs less, the gab in performance can be covered with a little overclocking of the HD 7850.

G

I have HD 7850 and couldn't be any happier with it. No driver problems whatsoever and it runs everything on ultra using 1680x1050 resolution. Can't wait to test it on new monitor (1920x1200) once I buy it.

It's factory overclocked MSI Twin Frozr III and doesn't go over 58 °C in most demanding games (such as BF3).

mvweez1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Thank everyone for the help I really appreciate it! This information has been really valuable! I think I will end up going with the 7850 it seems like the best deal! I will have to look into that MSI one haha and a few others. I need to pick up a monitor as well. I just have a question about that when I was looking at monitors it really seems that they all have the same specs at least the ones in similar prices ranges what exactly differentiates one from another.

look for the best response time (5ms and lower) actually 2ms is great. And the best in brightness, contrast ratio, viewing angel.
All of these in the monitor i linked you.

G

Another thing to consider is IPS panel which may not be as fast as TN panel, but has considerably better color quality and viewing angles.

Dell U2312HM is maybe a bit out of $200 price range, but worth it.

Solution

mvweez1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Thanks everybody for all the help! I really appreciate it I've decided to go with the radeon 7850 either the msi one or the sapphire one whatever I can find for a good price and for the monitor I've decided to go with the dell ultrasharp since I really fell in love with that monitor! I read some reviews on it and people do like it for gaming. Thanks so much for all your help guys I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.