Install two different DDR speed chip.

I installed 128M pc2100 and 256M pc2700. First the size memory
shows 384M. Then the memory size drop to 128M checked in WinXP
system. I guess the 256M did not work for winXP. Does install
two different DDR memory chip work?

On 19 Feb 2005 23:55:11 -0800, mmdir2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> I installed 128M pc2100 and 256M pc2700. First the size memory
>shows 384M. Then the memory size drop to 128M checked in WinXP
>system. I guess the 256M did not work for winXP. Does install
>two different DDR memory chip work?

It'd help if you gave a bit more info on the system in use and if the DIMMs
have same mfr and chips. Try running memtest86+ from www.memtest.org - it
should show you the timings currently in use and derived from SPD(?). The
BIOS-SPD interface can go awry, especially with dissimilar memory sources
so after you have current timings, go into BIOS Setup and back off the
timings till it works. It's also not unusual to have to do this if you add
memory since the memory bus gets more load on it.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald