Sign in with
Your question

Red/White screen while gaming

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2012 12:48:17 PM

Hello,

I have recently bought a lot of new components for my computer, and ever since my screen becomes red or white and my pc freezes while gaming. I have the feeling that it might be my processor because that becomes around 94 degrees celcius or 200 degrees fahrenheit. while my gpu only reaches 62 degrees celcius or 144 degrees fahrenheit. I am planning on getting a new cpu cooler as I think that might be the problem, but still 94 degrees celcius seems like a lot even with the stock coolers. So I wonder, is my problem with the cpu, or is it with something else? And will a proper after-market cooler do the job?

My processor is a Core I7 3770
My gpu is a MSI GTX670
Ram= 8gbs of Crucial 1866 ddr3
Case= antec 300

Thanks in advance,

Melsz
November 20, 2012 12:50:52 PM

Yes, the stock CPU cooler should not get that hot. Make sure it's properly seated and all the pushpins are securely attached into the motherboard holes.
November 20, 2012 12:53:39 PM

I will check that, I forgot to mention that Idle it's only around 34 degrees, don't know if that changes anything?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 2:11:22 PM

melsz said:
I will check that, I forgot to mention that Idle it's only around 34 degrees, don't know if that changes anything?

Idle temps seem quite fine, however the high load temps indicated that either:

1. Your heatsink is not in place properly or is damaged.

2. Your thermal paste wasn't applied properly.

3. Your CPU is faulty and generating abnormally amount of heat and should be RMA'd

^^

Those are in order of possibility
November 20, 2012 2:41:52 PM

Refitted the stock fan and sink, and the tempratures remain high when stressed,
Thermal paste was already at the bottom of the whole thing when I bought it, so that shouldn't be it.

That leaves the processor and the heathsink as possible problems, any idea how to find out which causes the problems?
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 8:19:25 AM

Strange, even with stock heatsink it shouldn't even be close to the temps you are seeing. Maybe there is possibly something wrong with your temp sensors?

I would maybe buy a new heatsink, a Hyper 212 Plus/Evo.

If it still remains like that I would RMA it.

a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 8:25:59 AM

It could be possible that the heat sink is damaged in some way. Go for the hyper212 and the temps should drop by a good margin.
November 7, 2013 12:14:51 PM

3238654,0,982448 said:
Hello,

I have recently bought a lot of new components for my computer, and ever since my screen becomes red or white and my pc freezes while gaming. I have the feeling that it might be my processor because that becomes around 94 degrees celcius or 200 degrees fahrenheit. while my gpu only reaches 62 degrees celcius or 144 degrees fahrenheit. I am planning on getting a new cpu cooler as I think that might be the problem, but still 94 degrees celcius seems like a lot even with the stock coolers. So I wonder, is my problem with the cpu, or is it with something else? And will a proper after-market cooler do the job?

My processor is a Core I7 3770
My gpu is a MSI GTX670
Ram= 8gbs of Crucial 1866 ddr3
Case= antec 300

Thanks in advance,

Melsz[/quotemsg

!