Closed Solved

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 VS. GTX 680

Which one is better? I am building a new computer so which graphics card is better and more worth my money?

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 OR GTX 680
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 7970 pcie
  1. Both great cards, but you would be better off getting a 670 as its performance isn't far off the performance of a 680 and similar to the 7970.
    It is also 100 bucks cheaper than a 680.
    Grab a 670 , you won't regret it.
  2. monsta said:
    Both great cards, but you would be better off getting a 670 as its performance isn't far off the performance of a 680 and similar to the 7970.
    It is also 100 bucks cheaper than a 680.
    Grab a 670 , you won't regret it.


    Will that run games like battlefield 3?
  3. Hell yes!
  4. And what would you recommend as a second card?
  5. Well between the ati 7970 and the gtx 680 there is not so much difference, of course if the 7970 is a good overclocked version like the msi lightning. Take into account that the 680 still have a couple of driver issues but it actually gives better performance. The 670 is a good, cheap option but it's a little , little bit behind both the 7970 and the 680. Hope it helps, regards.
  6. davemaster84 said:
    Well between the ati 7970 and the gtx 680 there is not so much difference, of course if the 7970 is a good overclocked version like the msi lightning. Take into account that the 680 still have a couple of driver issues but it actually gives better performance. The 670 is a good, cheap option but it's a little , little bit behind both the 7970 and the 680. Hope it helps, regards.



    Not behind in this review against the 7970, except for Metro.
    Have a look for yourself.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200.html
  7. monsta said:
    Not behind in this review against the 7970, except for Metro.
    Have a look for yourself.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200.html


    And would you recommend getting a second graphics card? If so what kind?
  8. Either get a 670 or 680 if you can afford it.
  9. monsta said:
    Either get a 670 or 680 if you can afford it.


    Thats a little expensive for me i already have 2100 into this project.
  10. Just got for the 670, its a better deal for 100 less.
  11. monsta said:
    Either get a 670 or 680 if you can afford it.
  12. Thats card is really weak for gaming.

    What is your budget maybe we can look at something in your price range.
  13. That is relative , the 7970 has better overclocking possibilities . People claim the 670 is almost as good as the 680 (7% less) because they overclock the 670 around 100 mhz to match 680 clocks. Following the same principle we could say the 7970 is better than the 670 and matches the 680. Demones if you are low on budget try the ATI 7950 or just save a bit in the processor, board or case. Regards
  14. monsta said:
    Thats card is really weak for gaming.

    What is your budget maybe we can look at something in your price range.


    $2,500 i am building on cyberpower btw so i also have to pay $150 for s and h
  15. My PC worths around $2000 and I have been able to pull this:
    Gigabyte fx 990 xa ud3
    AMD 955 phenom ii
    Thermaltake 750w psu
    2 HD drives 1tb each
    Thermaltake case + noctua nh d 14
    Ram gskill ripjaws 8gb
    Gtx 680 MSI
    LG Led 23 inch monitor
    Thermaltake tt sports ultimate
    Logitech mouse
    I think you can get a good rig even if intel's with your budget + 680
  16. So would anyone mind telling me what the benefits of having two graphic cards are? I am terrible with computers.
  17. About a 30-40% performance boost in games (compared to a single GPU). Just a heads up, in a few months when the 680 drivers are updated, SLI will seem obselete, plus, one 680 is probably going to be cheaper than an SLI configuration. You'll have plenty of performance from a 680.
  18. So in other words i should just toss the idea of getting the amd out the window?
  19. Not necessarily, if you want that boost of performance you could get some 6000 series AMD cards, but I would say the 600 series, even the 670 which I'm getting, is going to be the most effective use of your money. Then you can always add another in the future if needed.
  20. Two GPUs actually can give an 80-90%+ performance boost in games...

    Anyways, if you want to overclock your graphics card, get a nice custom 7970. Overclocked, it will match overclocked 680 performance and thoroughly beat a 670.

    If you want to just plug in your graphics card and not worry about it (this sounds like you based on your posts), then get a 680 if you can find one at a decent price.

    If you want the best deal for your money at the high end of the spectrum, get a 670. It gives you close to 7970/680 performance for $50-100 less money.

    It all depends on what your desires are. Things are close enough this round that you cannot simply say "X card is better than Y card" without further qualification.
  21. BigMack70 said:
    Two GPUs actually can give an 80-90%+ performance boost in games...

    Anyways, if you want to overclock your graphics card, get a nice custom 7970. Overclocked, it will match overclocked 680 performance and thoroughly beat a 670.

    If you want to just plug in your graphics card and not worry about it (this sounds like you based on your posts), then get a 680 if you can find one at a decent price.

    If you want the best deal for your money at the high end of the spectrum, get a 670. It gives you close to 7970/680 performance for $50-100 less money.

    It all depends on what your desires are. Things are close enough this round that you cannot simply say "X card is better than Y card" without further qualification.


    It sounds like you think i am building it, I am ordering off of cyberpower.
  22. Well i have decided to get the 7970
  23. Best answer
    You won't be dissapointed. :)
  24. Best answer selected by daemones.
  25. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx AMD HD Radeon Graphics