choosing open and open with programs on right click

When I right click on a file such as a jpg, I am offered the option of
opening it in whatever program the file type is associated with. In
this case, the jpg would normally open with ACDSee.

But, sometimes I know I want to edit the file and I would like to open
it in Adobe Photoshop, or, Photoshop Elements, but they are not on the
"open with" list.

In fact, several programs that don't apply at all are on the open with
list......

Is there a way for me to choose which programs are offered to "open
with" in various file types?

TIA

Louise
3 answers Last reply
More about choosing open open programs click

    Louise,

    Right-click a JPG file, and choose Open with..Choose Program. Select/Browse
    to the executable and click OK. The application will add itself to the Open
    with sub-menu.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    In article <ue4auH4KFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    ramesh@online.mvps.org says...
    > Louise,
    >
    > Right-click a JPG file, and choose Open with..Choose Program. Select/Browse
    > to the executable and click OK. The application will add itself to the Open
    > with sub-menu.

    It doesn't - and there are other programs I don't want on there. Is
    there a more direct way to edit this menu?

    Thanks again.

    Louise

    Louise,

    Example:

    To add Wordpad entry to the Open With list for .REG files, open Registry
    Editor and navigate to:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.reg\OpenWithList
    In the right-pane, create a new REG_SZ value named an alphabet (a - z).
    Double-click the alphabet (example, c) and then type the application's exe
    filename (wordpad.exe)

    Also, make sure that wordpad.exe is registered under this key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\wordpad.exe

    --

    > In article <ue4auH4KFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    > ramesh@online.mvps.org says...
    >> Louise,
    >>
    >> Right-click a JPG file, and choose Open with..Choose Program.
    >> Select/Browse
    >> to the executable and click OK. The application will add itself to the
    >> Open
    >> with sub-menu.
    >>

    > It doesn't - and there are other programs I don't want on there. Is
    > there a more direct way to edit this menu?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Louise

Configuration Customization Windows XP