choosing open and open with programs on right click

March 18, 2005 8:30:46 AM

When I right click on a file such as a jpg, I am offered the option of
opening it in whatever program the file type is associated with. In
this case, the jpg would normally open with ACDSee.

But, sometimes I know I want to edit the file and I would like to open
it in Adobe Photoshop, or, Photoshop Elements, but they are not on the
"open with" list.

In fact, several programs that don't apply at all are on the open with
list......

Is there a way for me to choose which programs are offered to "open
with" in various file types?

TIA

Louise
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:45:57 PM

Louise,

Right-click a JPG file, and choose Open with..Choose Program. Select/Browse
to the executable and click OK. The application will add itself to the Open
with sub-menu.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> When I right click on a file such as a jpg, I am offered the option of
> opening it in whatever program the file type is associated with. In
> this case, the jpg would normally open with ACDSee.
>
> But, sometimes I know I want to edit the file and I would like to open
> it in Adobe Photoshop, or, Photoshop Elements, but they are not on the
> "open with" list.
>
> In fact, several programs that don't apply at all are on the open with
> list......
>
> Is there a way for me to choose which programs are offered to "open
> with" in various file types?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise
March 20, 2005 6:13:40 AM

In article <ue4auH4KFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
ramesh@online.mvps.org says...
> Louise,
>
> Right-click a JPG file, and choose Open with..Choose Program. Select/Browse
> to the executable and click OK. The application will add itself to the Open
> with sub-menu.

It doesn't - and there are other programs I don't want on there. Is
there a more direct way to edit this menu?

Thanks again.

Louise
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:09:18 PM

Louise,

Example:

To add Wordpad entry to the Open With list for .REG files, open Registry
Editor and navigate to:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.reg\OpenWithList
In the right-pane, create a new REG_SZ value named an alphabet (a - z).
Double-click the alphabet (example, c) and then type the application's exe
filename (wordpad.exe)

Also, make sure that wordpad.exe is registered under this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\wordpad.exe

--

!