Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD six core vs. Intel i7 - advice, please

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Intel i7
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 20, 2012 2:04:06 PM

Greetings,

I have a very simple question. I am trying to decide between an AMD six-core fx processor or an Intel core i7. I am not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop CS4 professionally. The rest of my computing is web browsing, Netflix, email, MS word, etc.

For comparison, I currently use an Intel core 2 Quad with 6GB RAM, and it's three years old. It would seem to me that either of these new machines will blow my current machine away. Will the AMD be sufficient, or do I really need the i7? Is one more durable/reliable than the other? I can get an AMD six core with 10GB RAM and 1TB HD for $650. Seems like a good buy.

Many thanks for your advice!

More about : amd core intel advice

a c 109 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 2:09:58 PM

THe AMD CPU will be perfectly adequate for photoshop, the i7 might perform a little better but not a lot better.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:12:34 PM

Thanks, Jay.

Will the increase in performance be noticeable, or is it simply a technical distinction that only hard-core gamers and technical folks would appreciate?

Also, will the performance improvement from the Core 2 Quad I currently use be similar with the AMD and the i7?

Thanks a lot!
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 2:23:56 PM

Well most gamers and some 'hard core' gamers are usually recommended the intel i5 3570K, more crazy gamers go with i7 extreme CPUs.

The performance difference between the i7 and FX CPU (i am assuming the FX6100) in photoshop is probably a few seconds to a few minutes, nothing major.

The FX and i7 will save you more minutes (like 5 - 20), plus if you start gaming both the FX and i7 will be adequate.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 2:24:57 PM

cbscinta1 said:
Thanks, Jay.

Will the increase in performance be noticeable, or is it simply a technical distinction that only hard-core gamers and technical folks would appreciate?

Also, will the performance improvement from the Core 2 Quad I currently use be similar with the AMD and the i7?

Thanks a lot!


The AMD choice is more than enough in your situation, provided that Photoshop can use all cores. And for basic everyday use you shouldn't see any difference(assuming there were no problems with your Core2Quad).

Everything will run smoothly
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:30:40 PM

Jay,

When you say a "few seconds to a few minutes" of time saving, what exactly do you mean? If I lose a few seconds per photograph edited, I'm screwed. That would add hours to my workflow. A few minutes and I couldn't even imagine it.

I'm assuming this is not what you meant. Would you mind clarifying?

Sorry, it's just that I'm not a very technical guy.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:32:42 PM

It's an AMD six core FX 6120, BTW... not 6100--in case it makes a difference.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 2:35:42 PM

I mean there won't be a big difference, there is a tiny difference.

m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 20, 2012 2:35:55 PM

If seconds matter, then go with an i7.

I would even consider going with a 6-core/12 thread intel beast if the budget allows.

Of course, either of the CPU's will crush what you are using now.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:59:00 PM

Z1NONLY said:
If seconds matter, then go with an i7.

I would even consider going with a 6-core/12 thread intel beast if the budget allows.

Of course, either of the CPU's will crush what you are using now.



I have not been able to find a pre-built PC (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) with an Intel six-core/12 thread. Are these only available to those who wish to build their own computers? This isn't an option for me.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 20, 2012 3:25:17 PM

cbscinta1 said:
I have not been able to find a pre-built PC (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) with an Intel six-core/12 thread. Are these only available to those who wish to build their own computers? This isn't an option for me.


It's probably sold as a "work station". I can research a little when I get home.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 2:34:18 AM

The intel 6 core 12 thread cpu's are really pricey.
m
0
l
a c 106 à CPUs
a c 191 À AMD
November 21, 2012 3:22:40 AM

processor speed in rendering work just about patience problems..

even you can use slowest processor to do awesome work if you have a lot patience..:D 

from core 2 quad to fx 6120 is not a huge leap..you'll barely notice the difference..it's just a few second difference..

Get 8320/8350 to get much better performance..
m
0
l
November 22, 2012 5:22:00 AM

cbscinta1 said:
Greetings,

I have a very simple question. I am trying to decide between an AMD six-core fx processor or an Intel core i7. I am not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop CS4 professionally. The rest of my computing is web browsing, Netflix, email, MS word, etc.

For comparison, I currently use an Intel core 2 Quad with 6GB RAM, and it's three years old. It would seem to me that either of these new machines will blow my current machine away. Will the AMD be sufficient, or do I really need the i7? Is one more durable/reliable than the other? I can get an AMD six core with 10GB RAM and 1TB HD for $650. Seems like a good buy.

Many thanks for your advice!


http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25

They have many other benchmarks. Look at all the processors and pick one that is good price/performance for your needs
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 5:49:27 AM

cbscinta1 said:
Greetings,

I have a very simple question. I am trying to decide between an AMD six-core fx processor or an Intel core i7. I am not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop CS4 professionally. The rest of my computing is web browsing, Netflix, email, MS word, etc.

For comparison, I currently use an Intel core 2 Quad with 6GB RAM, and it's three years old. It would seem to me that either of these new machines will blow my current machine away. Will the AMD be sufficient, or do I really need the i7? Is one more durable/reliable than the other? I can get an AMD six core with 10GB RAM and 1TB HD for $650. Seems like a good buy.

Many thanks for your advice!

Well, if the computer is on sale then overall get that. The AMD will do fine and you should see a pretty big increase in your speed.
m
0
l
!